What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Die grinder compressed air requirements

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
Looking at die grinders for de-burring and some shaping. I'm running 1/4 dia compressed air hose and noticed that most, actually all, die grinders state a 1/4 npt inlet but minimum hose dia of 3/8. I assume this is for volume as I can run 90 to 120 psi all day. Can you effectively run a die grinder at 90 psi with 1/4 compressed air hosing? Also, any decent brands out there?

Dan,

One of the most valuable tools I own! I run 3/8 lines and use a Suiox brand grinder. I have no experience with any of the rest but I can tell you that mine eats up A LOT of air! Just a guess but I would think the compressor is more critical than the lines.

I think that the only effect would be a droop in pressure at the tool when you run it. I run one of the Northern Tool house brand die grinders using a 3/8 inch hose to a manifold with one of the Cleveland lightweight hoses to the tool. I don't notice any issue at 90 psi.

Super great tool. I have a relatively cheap Astro Pneumatic ($60) right angle grinder running off of 10' of flexible 1/4 hose and another 15' of std 3/8 hose, 60 gal compressor at 120 PSI. Works great; does eat a lot of air though. Get one, a few boxes of roloc discs (brown, blue, and grey) and deburring and edge finishing will be a breeze.

Looking at die grinders for de-burring and some shaping. I'm running 1/4 dia compressed air hose and noticed that most, actually all, die grinders state a 1/4 npt inlet but minimum hose dia of 3/8. I assume this is for volume as I can run 90 to 120 psi all day. Can you effectively run a die grinder at 90 psi with 1/4 compressed air hosing? Also, any decent brands out there?

The greater the distance from the compressor, the bigger the hose needs to be to supply the VOLUME that the tool needs.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a die grinder is a necessary tool for sure. I should have mentioned that I'm running 3/8 hose off the of the compressor to the regulator, then it goes to 1/4. I think I shall bifurcate the 3/8 exit from the regulator and run a 1/4 line and a 3/8 line. I was hoping to keep it all the same.

I'm currently looking at the Ingersoll Rand and also the Suiox.

Plan on adding an inline water separator some distance from the compressor.

Tools requiring little air volume (for example, a rivet gun) tend to allow enough time between compressor runs for in-tank air cooling and water separation. When volume demand goes up (sanders and die grinders) the compressor will run more, the tank air will remain hot, and the water will start condensing in the lines instead. The best system incorporates a long length of metallic pipe. You want to cool the air and return water vapor to liquid before reaching the separator.

3/8 line

My shop is plumbed with 1/2" copper pipe, and then to 50' of 3/8" on a reel mounted on the ceiling, then splits to two 10' 1/4" lines.

I have a Bluepoint die grinder (reasonable quality). When I plug it into a 1/4" line it has significantly less power than when I disconnect the 1/4" line and plug it directly into the 3/8" line.

The amount of air a die grinder takes seems to have an inverse relationship to the cost - the more you pay the less air it will use.

Oh, and don't believe the published specifications - in my experience these take way more air than they are published to require.

One last point, I recently started using my Dremel for cutting fiberglass, and am now using this more than the die grinder.

While a pneumatic die grinder is a nice tool to have, there have been lots of RV's built without them. It's definitely a nice addition to your tool inventory, but I wouldn't call it a necessary tool. Think about how much you will use it before you invest in the tool and the necessary air supply to support it.

Thanks again. I do have an inline filter and water separator with a capable sufficient air compressor. As mentioned I believe I will just plumb another quick disconnect for a 3/8 line, best of both I guess; 1/4 and 3/8. I'm starting the wings and think a die grinder will be convenient for de-burring compound curves and the lightening holes.

Last edited:
Luv My Die Grinders

I use the cheap $9-$12 straight and angled die grinders from HF. Love them. My only complaint is that they are louder than the more expensive brands. 3/8" hose and 1/4" connectors and I've never had a problem with lack of air.

Dremmel

Someone mentioned using a dremmel instead of a die grinder for some cutting tasks. Is it also possible to put a mini scotch-brite wheel on a dremmel and use it for edge deburring?

Someone mentioned using a dremmel instead of a die grinder for some cutting tasks. Is it also possible to put a mini scotch-brite wheel on a dremmel and use it for edge deburring?

I'm curious about this unanswered question as well.

I'm just getting started myself, but I had the same question about a Dremel tool, so I tried a few attachments. I bought a few Scotchbrite attachments for my Dremel tool.

These worked, but they didn't last long enough to be useful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBF3OM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK43M

These also work well for detail work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDHW

But they're so small that they're hard to use on larger parts. I still use them on some detailed work. I have other attachments as well, but these wheels are the most useful that I've found.

After deburring about half the parts in the tail kit, I find I'm using the Dremel tool less and less. For the fine detail work where I previously would use the Dremel tool, I now find it faster to use the hand Scotchbrite pads. Doing it by hand is faster than I thought it would be. For the larger items I use the Scotchbrite grinding wheel or a belt sander. For things in between like lightening holes, I use the 1" or 2" Scotchbrite wheels mounted on my drill press. I find the Dremel tool isn't powerful enough to replace the 1" Scotchbrite wheel on the drill press.

I use the drill press over a die grinder because it's much quieter and I can use it late into the evening. I have a die grinder, but I haven't found a need for it yet, at least not for the tail kit.

Back