What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keyless entry system?

amaris

Well Known Member
The Sling has a key card system. As you approach the plane, the panel lights turn on. You hold up a card like you get at the hotel or office and touch a spot on the panel to arm the system and then you can start it. Sounds just like cars that have the proximity sensor in the fob and then push to start.

With everyone talking about concerns about a push to start and ways to protect someone from starting it up or even turning over the prop, I'm wondering if anyone has used the key fob or key card system in their plane?

I found some options online in case anyone else is interested too. I haven't done much research on these. There are systems that sell for $750 plus, which is too much for me to spend on this feature.

No affiliation, just what looks interesting after doing a quick google search.

Link 1

Link 2

Neat idea, but my son in laws Dodge (yeah, i know) doesn’t recognize the factory key fob half the time. I love the idea, but want something failsafe, that always works in the plane. Also, any battery draw when idle would not be good.

After dealing with my daughters cars both having key fob batteries die at the most in opportune time this summer, I would probably opt for something more simple. I wouldn’t want to realize that my RFID fob is dead mid-flight while I try to do an emergency restart. I realize this is the .1% but why add the risk. They did work flawlessly for 8 and 10 years respectively though.

My father-in-law’s ‘32 Ford has a hidden switch that he throws to energize the ignition system. When he parks the car he opens the switch. It works great as long as you know where the switch is and it is in a place that can be reached without drawing too much attention to onlookers as to what you are doing.

CT

Last edited:
Our 16 year old Infiniti has never failed. Changed the FOB battery once, but it gave lots of "low battery" notice.
But I still don't think I want this on my airplane. Extra complexity and weight.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I don't understand why folks are always searching for a way to make something as simple as a switch, into a complicated computer controlled battery operated mess. :confused:

An interlock switch on the sub-panel would be just as safe and one heck of a lot simpler.

The VP-200 had a fob and could be programmed for what circuits it would activate. I would not want to remotely start an airplane, but I had planned to have it drop the flaps and activate the preflight items (lights, pitot heat) for my RV-10 so I wouldn't have to climb into the cockpit. I really hate that Ballard scrapped the technology when they bought VP.

Oh, boy, something else to carry around!

And if I lose it or leave it in the plane, then it's game over - take the bus home.

Unthrilled, I am.

Dave

Only keyless ENTRY SYSTEM I’d like to see someone develop is an easier method for folks with old creaky bones to get in & OUT of an RV. Maybe a woffie cushion or booster seat, or lower side entrance. (Or crane...)
I think this one can be done without a key or fob.

Last edited:
want something failsafe

What you actually are describing is something that is "fail *operational*". There are two competing concepts here: a starter system that truly is "fail safe", as in if something is wrong, the prop can't kill someone by accident (uncommanded starter engagement, for example), and the "fail operational" aspect (if the remote thingie is jacked-up, you can still start the plane when you want to).

Seems like needless silly complication to me...what's wrong with a key (keyswitch enable or the like) and a button?

and we wonder why RV's are getting to be as fat as the american public. keep it light and simple.

bob burns
rv-4 n82RB

Wow, that is about 200 Gallon worth of fuel and added complexity and potential failure just to have the coolest way to start the plane.

But nothing wrong with that if one enjoys fancy gadgets.

With everyone talking about concerns about a push to start and ways to protect someone from starting it up or even turning over the prop, I'm wondering if anyone has used the key fob or key card system in their plane?

I have a push to start button in my RV10, no key. I opted to just mount a hidden switch that enables/disables the push button. Unless you know its there, no one can start the plane... not to mention I have a purge valve installed for my fuel injection that I use for shut down.

I’m not worried at all about someone starting my plane... sometimes I cant even do it. :D

Back