What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What colour did you paint your wing landing light cavity?

What colour did you paint your wing landing light cavity?

• Total voters

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Thinking ahead to this step - what colour did everyone paint their landing light cavities?

If anyone has any photos that would be great!

My skins inside were already painted with primer and I just took some aluminum foil, cut to shape, sprayed the back with adhesive (dull side), and burnished it into place. That was in '97, well before the plane even flew and it's still there and bright. You can get metal film used by modellers, but the sheets were a bit small as I recall. I also considered chrome Monokote but rejected it due to weight, longevity, and sensitivity to heat.

Thinking ahead to this step - what colour did everyone paint their landing light cavities?

If anyone has any photos that would be great!

If you are using LED lights as opposed to halogens, heat on the plexi is a non issue so move them as far forward as possible. For me that ends up being about 2-3” or so aft of the plexi. Then, at that point there’s not really any point to painting the cavity for reflective purposes. The extra benefit is that you are then able to angle the lights across a wider range and you can be seen by others in air or on ground from a wider angle.
Hope this helps.

Bright Chromey Silver

None of the above. Can you add bright shiny to the choices? I bought chrome sticky back stuff at he local auto parts place. The car guys use it on their custom jobs. Around here we call it space tape. I lined both landing light bays with it just hoping it would reflect a little more light around. We have a flasher on our landing lights and always keep them on. We’re very visible although I can’t say for sure that the space tape lining makes much difference. The bays were white before, on yellow wings with grey undersides.

Last edited:
I haven't done it yet, but my intention is to paint the Duckworks mounts flat black. Doesn't seem like something to draw attention to with a light/bright color or anything like that.

None of the above. Can you add bright shiny to the choices?

Same idea.
Polished the aluminum mounting bracket to work as a reflector. Interior of surrounding skins are dull wash primer to keep reflection from bouncing back inside cavity.

I can't work out how to add an additional poll answer sorry!!

I thought people could add their own but i must've clicked on the wrong box.

Beautiful Primer. But later same color as plane... This was on my first RV. My RV-7 all lights are in wingtips and it is currently gel-coat... but will be painted airplane color....

White for me....

When I upgraded to the Fly-Leds 7 Spot, I painted all the interior and the mount high gloss white.
I like the way it turned out.
ACtC-3d8D0xVh1TeGd49HCtVZT246i2XCXj9E3WqRuoejLFtGOoyCbgfYHYm0rIDzGwrtpyLlHsczoLvt_jPDZx2nWu0Uw2Eyf_D5hIrjDfSyKfgBXBO7JoF2iEx2pe7ne92vX1YECq1IOGLniLCkDZBc7ZgKw=w1124-h843

ACtC-3d_vDe9IMk_52C2Pzy9FyIjaka2mMaP-5pr9QeuUvxQL_8Bffsy8_eredzSt3zfP8_zHnSN_0pYkd5MZMpD_n9Gk4fpqKqrbGCLu05xSYDlRJ7JouY4uCB6rUvRg8B9sIBGLi-KyWX-aXgMzuRbetfP8Q=w1124-h843

https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Seven-Stars-landing-light/p/139186915/category=0

Back