What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Garmin Remote Transponder

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Think I?ve settled on a spot for my Garmin remote transponder
6739A4A2-5BBE-4772-ABE4-F436044C72E0_zpsueecqmjj.jpg

AA2444A6-CE8B-4313-ABBB-6614B3FFBB04_zpsu5ib5ifa.jpg

Thoughts?

Tom,
Having a little trouble seeing your photo due to its size.
That said, I installed mine vertically above my left foot. Makes it VERY easy to get out. here's more than enough space, verically, and it doesn't take up so much horizontal room. Loosen the screw, flip the lever, and it drops into your hand.

Similar Location

This looks like more or less the same spot I chose for my GTR 20 remote COM unit. It will be a little difficult to get to after the top skin goes on, but I'm hoping that won't be often.

Just an alternative thought... I mounted my transponder behind the baggage bulkhead. Easy access, and simple wiring. It sits right above the antenna that's on the belly. Your space behind the panel will get crowded, and this freed up some room there, too.

I mounted my GTX45R(tray removable with nutplates) behind the right sub panel (vertical rectangular opening in the sub panel) along side the right rib. That way all I need to do is remove the 460 MFD and then I have direct access to pull the XPDR. If anybody would like pic I can send them. PM me.

I got the idea from Chris Hrabe...another 9 builder....

Cheers

Space

Does space really become a premium between the subpanel and the firewall?
Between the panel and subpanel for sure, but behind the subpanel?

Back