What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Expat living and flying in Mexico

Am seriously considering retiring to an expat-friendly community in interior Mexico. I would prefer to include my RV-4 (in progress) in the move, and fly it while living there when it is completed. Any knowledge/advice/information regarding the legalities/requirements/practicalities of this plan would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to retain US citizenship but I have no idea what license requirements and insurance, etc. might be, or even if this is possible. Thanks to anyone with input.

I was thinking about doing the same in Costa Rica. Figured I should include extra fuel capacity if I was going to get back and forth to Texas. Fewer fuel stops south of the Rio Grande would seem to be a good thing.

Foolishness that far south?

Friend used to go to an expat town in central Mexico some years back. Said you could have a villa, a cook and a maid on a social security income. Every year they had a running of the bulls much like Pamplona. Wouldn't be surprised if that's your destination.

Last edited:
If you haven't installed ADS-B OUT yet I suggest you include that in your research when deciding which system to install regarding where to retire.

Am seriously considering retiring to an expat-friendly community in interior Mexico. I would prefer to include my RV-4 (in progress) in the move, and fly it while living there when it is completed. Any knowledge/advice/information regarding the legalities/requirements/practicalities of this plan would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to retain US citizenship but I have no idea what license requirements and insurance, etc. might be, or even if this is possible. Thanks to anyone with input.

Having lived in Mexico 2009-2011 I have some first hand experience with the challenges you might face. I did not do any flying in Mexico, but I did talk to some people at a Cessna Pilot Center in Guadalajara out of curiosity. This post sums up basically what I learned about getting your license validated in order to fly Mexican registered aircraft:

http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/members/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=341

Because of this I personally would want the aircraft to have a US N number registration. Unfortunately that would mean that once the aircraft is complete you would probably have to bring it back to the US for registration, airworthiness and Phase 1 testing. The task of getting it there in the first place would not be trivial - you would likely need to utilize a customs broker and pay for significant duties/tariffs. It can be suprisingly complicated. I had gifts (kids toys) sent to me via UPS that were ultimately sent back due to the lack of a proper import permit. This might be further complicated if you don't have any residence status in Mexico ( staying with tourist permit only). You will face these complications for any shipment you need throughout the entire build. Very little of the materials you need for a build are going to be readily available in Mexico. This has improved somewhat in the years since I left, as now companies such as Amazon & Grainger are shipping direct (though the selection will be nowhere close to what is available in the US).

The easiest path is likely to finish it and complete Phase 1 in the US and fly it to Mexico. Flying it to Mexico and keeping it there is not problematic, though there are some limitations. I am not certain if you are allowed to do your own maintenance and inspection ( with repairman cert ) like we are here in the U.S. You may need to utilize a mechanic with FAA A&P cert.

I considered briefly starting a RV-10 build in Mexico, but quickly realized that there were significant challenges and potential costs I was not willing to take on - though probably not impossible. The above board is a good resource as they are in contact with the civil aviation authority DGAC. Hopefully someone that has attempted something close to what you are suggesting will chime in. Mexico is an incredible country and it would be a great accomplishment so I wish you the best of luck.

One has to ask...WHY?

One has to ask...WHY?

I don't know why he wants to leave but I've heard some are afraid of the 2020 election results but still the majority of people do it to stretch their retirement money in countries that are cheaper to live in, others are looking for a better quality of life, and still others are looking for cheaper health care. Lots of personal reasons.

Friend used to go to an expat town in central Mexico some years back. Said you could have a villa, a cook and a maid on a social security income. Every year they had a running of the bulls much like Pamplona. Wouldn't be surprised if that's your destination.

San Miguel de Allende. It's central with a large expat community I'm told. Wonder if that's your destination and I wonder what kind of airports they have.

Perhaps because it?s a big world out there and there and there are some really cool people and really cool places that most Americans never take the opportunity to get to know. To turn the question around, ?Why not??

BINGO !!! Many years ago when I started flying commercially in other countries I had to get my ATP ratings in those countries under their controlling agencies like we have the FAA here in the states.

I was amazed at the training and certification differences in each country. Although I love my USA and it'll always be #1 in my heart and mind, there are countries out there way better at training procedures, healthcare, politics, and day to day services to their citizens compared with what we have here. It's just that we've been trained since we're little to think we're the best and only place to live. That had started to change but currently the attitude of we're #1 and the rest of the world has to comply with us is not popular any more, except here in the states.

We live in a global world nowadays no matter what our politicians tell us. I remember during my years in high school in Puerto Rico how the independent political party was always bad mouthing the states because they wanted the island to be independent. While telling their party followers to only consume things made on the island, all while those same party leaders were buying American products and vacationing here in the states. Kind of like here where our political leaders want us to buy only Made in USA but they manufacture the products they personally sell overseas. Same thing.

That and other things make American Citizens want to leave and go live elsewhere.

I just got back from Brazil a month ago and while I absolutely love the brasileiros, (eu te amo) and their culture, and I plan to go back often.....someday with the RV island hopping down to South America.......

I also lived in Fortaleza, Brasil for two years.

That being said......no matter how bad or good the State of the Union or politics

Nothing compares to the freedom and benefits we have in the USA. I'll always be grateful to have been simply born within these borders.

But I get it. The dollar goes a lot farther in Central and South America.

Curious also to listen to those who may have done this though.

Living and flying outside the USA

I wasn?t going to chime in because I cannot speak specifically to Mexico but I can speak with a great deal of first hand experience with owning an airplane and flying in Honduras.
In 2008 I shut down my construction company in Memphis and moved to one of the The Bay Islands of Honduras. I flew a Britten Norman Islander from the US to Honduras, entering the country on the island of Honduras where I met my first obstacle. You can only keep your airplane in Honduras for seven days I was told. So I hired an attorney and we were able to hurdle over this first obstacle.
I decided to get an Airline Certificate and form a Charter Airline, or Aero Taxi as it is called there.
This took 11 months with the help of a Honduran attorney. We operated successfully for 10 years. The only issue I had to continuously deal with was their aviation regulatory administration constantly trying their best to get me to register my airplane HR, Honduran. I was able to deal with this successfully and never had to change my N registration. Many hurdles with this issue.
I did have to bring an IA down to Honduras every time I did a major inspection. Routine maintenance was done by competent Hondurans that had to show that they were certified to work on a BN-2, Islander, but all work had to be signed off by an FAA licensed A&P. Many A&P mechanics exist in Honduras. Those that signed off the actual work were not knowledgeable with an Islander but their certificate was enough to satisfy the authorities.
Insurance-I wouldn?t consider getting any insurance from any company other than a US company which I did. Those interested need only ask me about Mexican insurance companies. I have first hand experience of how they deal with incidents and claims. And forget about a Honduran insurance company. They are even worse.
I could go on but my point is that it is possible so long as you are willing to jump through their hoops and hire a local ?knowledgeable? aviation attorney to help you navigate their laws which often make no sense at all.
After ten years we sold our certificate, aircraft and passenger/guest contracts with dive resorts and moved back to the US. I now am totally enjoying my RV9.

No hay lonche gratis ;)

...Friend used to go to an expat town in central Mexico some years back. Said you could have a villa, a cook and a maid on a social security income. Every year they had a running of the bulls much like Pamplona. Wouldn't be surprised if that's your destination.

There is no free lunch :p You may get a villa, cook and maid on a social security income, but you pay in other (non-monetary) ways that we take for granted here. For some, that cost is worth it.

My only advice is that if you want to do this, go find a house down there for 4-6 months and try it out. Leave yourself options so you can come back with minimum hassle if you don't like it. If after six months you're sold on your new life, then go for it!

Good Luck!

Luis

I would never buy as an expat but only rent. Then I can go back to the States on a moments notice. Costa Rica attracts me more than Mexico but I'm a long way from making such a move.

Back