What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin?s new GAD 27 interface module pairs with G3X? Touch to streamline (11/18/15)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
...and add more capability!

We are pleased to announce this new product to complement our existing G3X Touch lineup! A summary of key characteristics and features are included below. For additional details, see the updated Rev V installation manual which can be downloaded here. The GAD 27 is available today (stocked and ready to ship!) with an advertised price of $499!

mH5z7scicgxuJu6xpNWqKyTe5_AV8SkjO2wclWLZbYWgXBwu_RCVjuj_1DFl6mMeJhPOMBfe50HcW6kdX8lSHnxifEHwGksISphfs_DQIr-Q32ZvGoF7ZeMnfVpMGyvrmJcLdJtzVQq7RCjxFV42rhC9giGWFgrLTQIrejZv0tW33UvBCOLeVNHzSVfhMxaEz-S2K0aEwJ3EbIuKvcXP1as-Q6UUEjYNuoXi39mpEm_kiUYOfKcxpJzBOXUoerd2W7xhAAR-lznVgb26H-e05E_6zzOSGPQb-vPyRgSHFH8n4l0Lbevf1YqCpKyPf07m5pH5uCpzIThzH7hpAZVjKFVP9mfbsAmW4Fv5aEDwJQlioK41XksyOxuz8SsuOizqAZR1NUMtSy3pIRglBDsANngz0FD1U2CrGENNocmdJtHdCYAd9NGEVZmprZclcWQU9fJXCSana63ieShIHRTR_Yl8MMPgBBHOaW8nuJzbXo5zUC6uEKL8duU6xXRclbUkD4ve7rPe9FXDAVt8TwLYtLuzwdJDz4cyQD91YPFXFL8=w1279-h645-no

The GAD 27 is a small, lightweight, solid-state controller that replaces multiple adapter modules, simplifying your installation while giving you added capabilities and control through integration with your G3X Touch system, all while providing cost savings over multiple individual adapter modules. Key features include:

• Programmable Flap Controller - Discrete flap positions are easily programmed from the G3X Touch display to conveniently control the flap motor and to automatically drive the flaps to pre-programmed positions based on pilot input. Additionally, with airspeed inhibit, the system also helps protect the airframe by preventing inadvertent flap deployment at high airspeeds.
  • Programmable Lighting Circuits - The addition of one to three dimmer knobs provide input to the GAD 27 and can be mapped to any of the six configurable lighting circuits, offering additional lighting options when configuring a G3X Touch installation. Pilots may assign specific dimming functions to individual knobs, which are all programmed on the G3X Touch display. Preset lighting options, including avionics lights, map lights, interior light circuits and more, are all pilot-configurable for installation and operational convenience.
  • Wig-Wag Lights - For added visibility in-flight, the GAD 27 provides configuration of the landing and taxi lighting system via the G3X Touch flight display. Compatible with all light installations including HID and LED, the GAD 27 offers optional control to alternately flash up to two lights, commonly referred to as “wig-wag” lighting, which can be switch activated or automatically turned on/off based on airspeed. Pilots may also configure a warm-up time before starting the wig-wag function to protect lamps that require a warm-up period.
  • Voltage Stabilizer - Essential avionics receive stable power during engine start without the need for a back-up battery when integrating the GAD 27 adapter into a new or existing avionics installation. Sufficient power is provided to operate a single G3X Touch display, ADAHRS module and engine interface module with probes.
  • Aircraft Trim Switch Mixing - The GAD 27 accepts trim switch inputs from both the pilot and co-pilot controls to provide trim mixing capability. Switches used on the pilot/co-pilot controls are connected to simple discrete inputs and no longer supply trim motor power or control relays. Additionally, the GAD 27 can provide direct drive of the trim motors if there is not a GSA 28 servo installed (NOTE: If GSA 28 servos are installed with the GAD 27, trim switch inputs will be connected to the GAD 27 and trim motor drive will be provided by the servo).
  • Additional Discrete Inputs – The GAD 27 expands on the 4 discrete inputs available with the GEA 24 engine/airframe interface adapter. Now with the GAD 27, 9 more configurable discrete inputs are available in the G3X Touch system for monitoring additional systems.

Below are some examples of the on screen setup for external lights, the flap controller and interior lighting. As usual, if you have any questions, please reach out to your Garmin dealer, or contact us directly using the information in our signature below.

WXDCCKfKn-5s0mf3YlZ9WBz47FN9loshjDrvp0Yi-Ivz4w7TTrc9epKBRLwSuhPUZVMhh4Ynkf9ERe3AWIYZIp1q9_G7bzdqtb4qiUaaaWUuAvs8RttHxNHxIRfQw-Mgmqj7Si2WO8Og0aqY9Kph06womHSmFF1hJButWV0jv7-E4tP-83zlk_dTic3h4n5XoJ_obofp2xkan10aTsrYz0IUlN1MEcF502HZ9vZlNeIawSRboQT5pTZFvow8aQJlV7gk-6dBwzuWftq1cbeAvMMhb2YUuU5wAv6DNjepoELTqFrLZ0eFdEuyibuZgbhAzioX0kTFmDFi20Iml-83zE4fOZLSxUOyBd3ASyc0qgPYIYNoOJoDs0s9gGGh0yieylbgYB5ihOiSm_5xq0yKvACmfVHA1qBITab9-ZfziIwUkYdrUOw6Y_9dCXx-az9WNdNw8VJSJ7yfy9EPAQcEVj5LNq2Q146LustVhcad4ZdLqKk_GSGPQk3S33eQQ2a5OcbHTvrBRHVy343X-koeW-ctDI2jgqXC3DobOVKRttg=w1230-h738-no

VH90630wAExqBPQNt9fI6zOkpYvxeHPLd5i_8eF2nZswv8UCl5GpYBHqOMWBRugcwxhOV5wehjmO7675dwvJugE0r5UzwDzEIL3eeJxOsNIz6W7uGflgKU26SS3bVQcUTnihjRvhQNCYAfEOTCdSsK0KzxqX3-5bVcWhR5q_slNPmkZHnXu0PxSgJmJNRZ558vnjhVGVrJCQ8B1cH4YUiKCCrtNysR3eAINUFyUQl0IIk4RK5cr-1jiuM-yrU4UW1HO34Bq33jUl_M1s1JrU2zo-zcojuZFC9P2cw-HNbH2n2E6NLYUhn8LoJHQECP1ihiTFammGo4MDb1LDZZi88-ZV_IfKQef0mo0a0LQLqJgOTHno2B2y2btMg7EIWJA0-gxO8ba_4pg0qSYY8yXfZ_S89E1ttz3Opziv4UZMO1uwVrTXgCEUFwlb0gccj5A1MfpyOA5BntXbZazLkxeKUSYgS2h_exbUf3_sPbhCUvhXZxPTOEvXOrp-BTDGGQ-GftJlLPFfeJMbFXb1yRC_W1sSIwnzHsyzghCxhR9xSDg=w1230-h738-no

JkvidN-_t2yg2-rgG1gB6-7KuGeGkdJn5uUPVLZwO35c7sKExB78LQ42o0pJbpgpGpxCX9CNI8XHVgPOzP4nBTtUEiyMkSxdH1YciE_EHcRdj11ZAG2Qm189RNbXRTvCK88s0nfNw_OL9GZHMaAYK53QnYe6Dax4PyDNQPtyzcvjdHAS6gc3J_RPfy5zmMJeQd8A5utVYUPIVKLvMO1jBrCqGKnFjnFwlLuoIsXdsvUsM5pTYrbyR-K3z5Qv1snnrNe3Eda59QEfY7Srrsy-P_TmGg4boqAsEH3nedOlIQUx8_JbhDCmH0KrchXJxFHuDSzx9llz-5P8jftA56E9NQ-91-Zlg2Q9tgvgrzoRRE-4h0G55xxWevGg1WCtXOKdK0KsSP9mXus51koMuV4kXHI8ZOTIoEMS3vutar1oJ8I-_6z8m_GnkFnwYKIEPRvwzY4540WnO2VDTHej5N7QkE2OzjYPc9dWL6Xl5yRuw40kugdo938ZnUOqGUSeQO0EcVEtqNOQNff4GFSuFTibvwyLslOgUhUt9XAbrc9ZaUE=w1082-h738-no

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
I have been planning a G3X setup with a vertical power pro. It seems like this does some of what the VP Pro does, flaps, Wig-Wag, etc. Outside of electronic breakers, with this as part of a system, does the VP Pro still make sense?

A little over kill for the RV-12 Any thoughts?

Hello Redbaron,

Good question.

We believe RV-12s are generally installing a battery backup system for several hundred dollars to keep everything running during engine start.

If you covered that function with the GAD 27 voltage stabilizer (keep alive) function and then added features like cockpit lighting control and even flashing recognition lights, it could start to make sense.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

I have been planning a G3X setup with a vertical power pro. It seems like this does some of what the VP Pro does, flaps, Wig-Wag, etc. Outside of electronic breakers, with this as part of a system, does the VP Pro still make sense?

G3expert,
Do you have an answer for greenley' post??

Hello Bill,

While we recognized that we would probably be asked to compare the GAD 27 with other devices on the market, we want to preface our statements here by saying that we in no way want this to be taken as criticism of anyone else's device.

Please correct us if we are wrong, but we think you are asking whether or not it still makes sense to install the other device AFTER installing the GAD 27.

This is probably a question only you can answer depending on how important you consider the ECB functionality to your installation.

Due to the high level of integration with G3X Touch including the ability to configure everything without a laptop, you will probably want to use all of the GAD 27 functions which overlap with the other device, which primarily only leaves the ECB functionality.

Additionally, of course, with the GAD 27 you gain a really capable cockpit lighting controller and additional input discretes - functions not provided by the other device.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
How many flap positions can be programmed. Can a zero flap and a reflex flap position be programmed in. If you have the GSA 28 servos for both pitch and roll, are the Ray Allen trim servos activated via the Garmin servos and are any position sensors required. Thanks

That's funny.
I was at NBAA in Vegas this week and came by the Garmin booth just to see what was new when I had a moment. I was looking at the display with the G3X touch setup and one of your representatives was talking to another attendee. He asked if the setup could control the flaps and the rep said yes. From what I had been reading I didn't think that was the case. Turns out he was right, if only by a few days.

How many flap positions can be programmed. Can a zero flap and a reflex flap position be programmed in. If you have the GSA 28 servos for both pitch and roll, are the Ray Allen trim servos activated via the Garmin servos and are any position sensors required. Thanks

Hello Togaflyer,

The software supports up to 8 flap positions, so you shouldn't run out.

Yes, a reflex flap position is supported. For example, you could define flap positions of -5 degs, 0 degs, 20 degs (partial flaps), and 45 degs (full flaps).

Airspeed limiting using user defined partial and full flap speed limits come into play when you attempt to extend the flaps below the zero position, but you can move from a reflex position to zero or retract the flaps at any airspeed. Any defined flap position between zero and full flaps follows the partial flap speed limit.

Below are the flap airspeed limits we use on our RV-7A.

FlapSpeedLimits.png

Yes, the GSA 28 pitch and roll servos will connect to and drive Ray Allen trim motors. When the autopilot is disengaged, the servos will follow the pilot/copilot trim signals and provide speed scheduling (move the trim motors slow at high airspeed and faster at low airspeeds). When the autopilot is engaged, the servos will drive the trim motors to keep the plane in trim at all times. When it comes time to disengage the autopilot, the airplane will already be in trim when you take over control.

The autopilot servos don't actually need or use a trim position sensor signal, but you will probably want to use the trim position sensors so you can see the trim position displayed on the PFD.

Thanks,
Steve

Third party radio support

Hi g3xpert

Is there any intention to support third party remote mounted 8.33 radios ? For example the trig unit.

Or even release a Garmin remote unit so that the system is fully integrated like the remote transponder unit offers.

I am currently trying to spec out my panel and would like it to have a similar look to the integrated G1000.

Can you expand on how the flap controller portion works, does it need a position sensor to be able to set different flap settings? In the manual it shows to micro switches but that's it. Also the lighting controller dimmer portion does it need input power or does it take that from somewhere else.

Can you expand on how the flap controller portion works, does it need a position sensor to be able to set different flap settings? In the manual it shows to micro switches but that's it. Also the lighting controller dimmer portion does it need input power or does it take that from somewhere else.

Hello,

Yes, a flap position sensor connected to the GEA 24 is required so the GAD 27 can monitor/control the flap motor position.

The flap motor limit switches are optional. If installed, the GAD 27 will use this switch input information in addition to the flap position data to determine the extreme ends of flap motor movement.

The GAD 27 actually receives flap position information from the G3X system from a flap position sensor connected to the GEA 24. Most people already have this to provide a flap position indication on the PFD. Just hook up your flap motor and flap switch to the GAD 27, and it goes to work.

Any flap positions that are defined for your flap position indication on the PFD are automatically used by the GAD 27 as flap control (stop) positions.

The GAD 27 has six lighting bus connections. 3 are for DC reference level lighting control like used by the G3X displays and most other devices in a G3X system like the GTN. 3 are PWM controlled variable power sinks that can be used to control things like cockpit lights. Just hook aircraft power to one side of the light, and connect the ground side to one of these three PWM inputs. Each of the 3 PWM power sinks can support up to 0.5A.

The GAD 27 lighting bus configuration allows you to map any lighting bus control knob (pot) to any or all lighting buses. For example, a single pot can control devices connected to all six lighting buses, or you can use up to 3 separate pots mapped to any combination of the six lighting buses. In our RV-7A we have 3 control pots. The left knob controls the display backlighting, the middle knob controls the radio stack (and GTN) backlighting, and the right knob controls the cockpit lighting including the strip light under the glare shield.

Thanks,
Steve

Bill, As a VPX Pro/G3X user, I feel like I might be able to help you.

I REALLY like the way the VPX reports current flow for all my connected loads. It is very useful in determining faults and observing the "health" of my electrical components.

When the GAD 25 (made that part up) comes out and includes this functionality, it could effectively replace the VPX Pro.

Until then, You need to weigh the desire between monitoring loads on your circuits against Garmin product line integration.

Me??? I have no remorse, but could see your conundrum.

It certainly muddies your decision!

OTOH, you could install both (utilizing the VPX for only the ECB funtionality) and have the best of both worlds!

Hope this helps.

:) CJ

G3expert

Do the flaps extend and retract automatically based on airspeed?

Hi Mike,

No, the GAD 27 will never extend or retract the flaps without being requested to do so by the pilot.

As great as automation is as a workload reducer, we take flap control very seriously and believe that the pilot must be in charge anytime the flaps are moved.

Thanks,
Steve

Not compatible with original G3X?

Hello G3Xpert!
Would there be any way via software upgrade in the future to use this product with the original G3X? This would be fantastic if possible. And I will take 2ea if you can!

Hello G3Xpert!
Would there be any way via software upgrade in the future to use this product with the original G3X? This would be fantastic if possible. And I will take 2ea if you can!

Hi Jon,

Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Just kidding. It is technically possible and we haven't ruled that out.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Taxi/Landing Light Control with a GAD 27

We have had several customers ask whether they need to install a third light switch for use with their GAD 27 to control the alternating flashing (wig-wag) function of their taxi and landing lights, so we thought we would post the answer here as well.

ExternalLightWiring.png

The answer depends on whether or not you want to manually control the flashing (wig-wag) function, or are ok with that always being automatically controlled.

For example, on our RV-7A we have only installed two light switches for taxi and landing lights. Additionally, we have configured our system in this manner:

JVatfXDmkn-llGz1mgMHCX33C9VUTExx3946my96J_dCNZdTvaEz_G0tsNQKf3PmH7CYqZUyIijq3CmBBJV3SrAcMh6NORtT2cOYH5_vFMVvVdDJ87b9OwZaklFkqSBWL5CCi8hYWJxvew69DSfrNJ82sI93oq9SXP6yGJ2YmAPukwOoRRqqCy-bHKNLw9ugDaNqK-iYJ-cc79qxaV1YT4eN3UXgnF4yPPPnDoXtV1voreeX9OrWgwViHeN5P7HHCyhzumWEThPsYeiyQlS4I5a5umZ0bKo1Xc2YKYTl9Pyrd3pWzsV0vPD0rpmTwhg6vU97ZGkGpMaYFtV7cUWArHA59dADGz4NgvJ4lL4vWvzcs7U04kL1ApCHucwSL9gnSstHIF9F1CHxcZUteIEN5ro8YIOKzyWMvgX9lSnOH5449bhYabUoAv1My9o8CgQ4_JSMA1aEgtTtgfiPVT6zI-i3U16GFfTyacW60Z0v1w4PKC21Atp5TRohsv_aQfjWGUTIhHaM8SdjxY4i6_EW_8k_RH4tlPFfT4mVZrbCc3-dLZyaP1xMGCc2jF9wMGtGtyb6MFH2pnyau408ITy-qmfzyq_9P5_UEO_nMwMh9Bkz68WIgjzb=w880

When we are on the ground, or in the air, the 2 lights follow the 2 switches unless the Automatic Flashing function has taken over operation of these two lights above the specified airspeed.

So, when operating day or night we use the taxi and landing light switches on the ground to do what we want, then as soon as the aircraft takes off and passes through 85 kts, the Automatic Flashing feature (which we have enabled) takes over and starts flashing the lights regardless of the position of the two light switches.

When we come in to land, the flashing lights stop flashing on final when the aircraft slows below 85 kts and then the lights follow the position of the two switches. As such, for night operations you would probably have both lights on before takeoff, leave them ?on? the whole flight so when they stop flashing on final, they go on solid for landing.

In other words, you will want to install 3 switches if you prefer to manually control the wig-wag function, or 2 switches if you are good with the wig-wag always being under automatic control based on the airspeed you specified in the configuration.

Another question we have received several times is whether or not the two light switches have to be on for the wig-wag function to work. The answer is no. The automatic or manual triggering of the wig-wag function may take priority over the position of the light switches, and as soon as wig-wag is turned off (manually or automatically), the switches take over controlling the lights.

The Light Priority selection can be set to Switch or Flash. When set to Switch, if an external light's switch is on, the light will be steady on, regardless of any other settings on the External Lights page. An example of when you would want to use this is when in the clouds at night (to stop the flashing). When set to Flash, if other settings on the External Light page determine that an external light should flash, it will flash, regardless of the state of the associated light switch.

Another question we sometimes receive has to do with overlap between the on time of the lights. There is a small overlap between a light that is turning off and a light that is turning on.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
With the trim mixing, are there independent connections on the GAD 27 for both the pilot and co pilot trim switch. Do all the wires for the trim servo i.e. Ray Allen T2 or T3, connect directly to the Garmin auto pilot servos. If you have landing lights that have a built in wig wag system, i.e. AeroLed, is there any benifit with GAD27.

Hello togaflyer,

With the trim mixing, are there independent connections on the GAD 27 for both the pilot and co pilot trim switch.

Yes, as shown on page 24-9 of the Rev. V G3X Installation Manual, the pitch and roll trim inputs for the pilot and copilot trim switches have dedicated pins so you don't have to splice these together as required with some devices on the market. Installing and using the copilot switches is optional.

Do all the wires for the trim servo i.e. Ray Allen T2 or T3, connect directly to the Garmin auto pilot servos.
The two trim motor wires connect to the GSA 28 servo which has built-in auto-trim capability (page 24-6) and the three wires for the trim position sensor connect to the GEA 24 (page 27-6).

If you have landing lights that have a built in wig wag system, i.e. AeroLed, is there any benefit with GAD27.
Yes, one of the advantages of the GAD 27 is that switches which normally directly switch high power devices like lights, now only have to ground very low power logic discretes. The choices available for the light switches you install are much larger since low power signal switches can be used to switch high power lights when using the GAD 27 for leverage.

Thanks,
Steve

In order to have the discrete input display items like landing lights on, pitot on, boost pump, etc; do you need to change those switches out from a single pole single throw, to a double pole double throw. I was told because its a ground that activates the discrete inputs, I need different switches. Or can it be wired in with the typical single pole single throw I planned to use.

In order to have the discrete input display items like landing lights on, pitot on, boost pump, etc; do you need to change those switches out from a single pole single throw, to a double pole double throw. I was told because its a ground that activates the discrete inputs, I need different switches. Or can it be wired in with the typical single pole single throw I planned to use.

Hello togaflyer,

A G3X Touch system with a GEA 24 and a GAD 27 has support for 13 user configurable input discretes.

The 4 input discretes on the GEA 24 may be configured for either active high or active low. The GAD 27 supports 7 active low and 2 active high input discretes (see page 24-11 of the Rev. V G3X Installation Manual).

You may, in some cases, need a double pole switch to isolate the activation of the input discrete, but not often.

You would normally connect a powered device like a boost pump to an active high input discrete which would transition to active high when power is applied to the boost pump (and the input discrete). This would allow you to display a message on the PFD any time the boost pump is turned on and would not require a double pole switch.

As discussed in a previous post, the light switches in an aircraft with a GAD 27 will no longer directly switch the power to the lights, so a simple low power SPST logic switch may be used if desired. If you also wish to display an annunciation on the PFD when one of these lights is on, you could also connect this switch to one of the user configurable active low input discretes on the GAD 27.

If you have any specific installation questions, please contact us by email or phone as shown below.

Thanks,
Steve

GAD 27 - Flap Control

I was hoping to get some info on how the GAD 27 works for flap control. It appears you can set it up for up to 8 positions so I should be able to set say 10, 20, 35 degrees? I typically park with my flaps down for ease of getting in and out of the plane and have had a problem in the past with the flaps at full down position causing damaging if pressure is put on the wing where the flaps fold under, therefore I typically park with my flaps at around 35 degrees. I also have found that I really do not need to use more than 35 degrees on any landings as the RV-7 flaps work very well.

I am also wondering if the flaps up switch can be a locking up position switch so that it allows the flaps to go back to the 0 degree position then turn off the flap motor without having to hold the switch in the momentary up position when practicing touch and go's. Maybe this is something in programming that you can set for a single momentary up input that times out the flap motor all the way back to 0 degrees without holding the switch in the up position rather than using a non-momentary locking up position switch that times out the flap motor?

Possibly it works like the Flap Positioning system that Aircraft Extras has available?

It allows you to program as many flap stop positions and put them where you desire. For Touch-N-Go Operation: As you come in for a landing with full flaps, you land and then prepare for take-off again while rolling. If you hold in the "Flap Up Button" in for longer than 1 second, this commands the flap positioning system to start moving to the o flap take-off position. While the flaps are retracting, go to full throttle, punch in the carb. heat, and take-off.

Last edited:
I was hoping to get some info on how the GAD 27 works for flap control. It appears you can set it up for up to 8 positions so I should be able to set say 10, 20, 35 degrees? I typically park with my flaps down for ease of getting in and out of the plane and have had a problem in the past with the flaps at full down position causing damaging if pressure is put on the wing where the flaps fold under, therefore I typically park with my flaps at around 35 degrees. I also have found that I really do not need to use more than 35 degrees on any landings as the RV-7 flaps work very well.

I am also wondering if the flaps up switch can be a locking up position switch so that it allows the flaps to go back to the 0 degree position then turn off the flap motor without having to hold the switch in the momentary up position when practicing touch and go's. Maybe this is something in programming that you can set for a single momentary up input that times out the flap motor all the way back to 0 degrees without holding the switch in the up position rather than using a non-momentary locking up position switch that times out the flap motor?

Hello Bryon,

Yes, you may certainly setup your GAD 27 based flap control system to have 0, 10, 20, and 35 degs of flaps for your RV-7.

You also have quite a bit of flexibility in the flap control switch including the one you suggest which is momentary on when pressed down and "non-momentary locking" in the up position. We actually have one of those switches in our RV-7A. You bump it down to extend the flaps to the next position, then on a touch-and-go you can just flip it up and it will fully retract the flaps. Even with this switch design, you can pseudo bump it to retract flaps to any intermediate flap position. For example, for your 4 flap positions, if you want to retract from full flaps (35 degs) to 10 degs, you can flip the switch up and back to center twice and the GAD 27 will take the flaps up to 10 degs.

Just a reminder that you can also bump the momentary contact down switch multiple times. For example, lets say your flaps are full retracted and you want to skip the 10 deg position and extend directly to the 20 deg position. Just bump the switch down twice and watch it go. The cyan selected trim position pointer on the trim position gauge on the PFD will immediately move to show that you selected the 20 deg position.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Bryon,

Yes, you may certainly setup your GAD 27 based flap control system to have 0, 10, 20, and 35 degs of flaps for your RV-7.

You also have quite a bit of flexibility in the flap control switch including the one you suggest which is momentary on when pressed down and "non-momentary locking" in the up position. We actually have one of those switches in our RV-7A. You bump it down to extend the flaps to the next position, then on a touch-and-go you can just flip it up and it will fully retract the flaps. Even with this switch design, you can pseudo bump it to retract flaps to any intermediate flap position. For example, for your 4 flap positions, if you want to retract from full flaps (35 degs) to 10 degs, you can flip the switch up and back to center twice and the GAD 27 will take the flaps up to 10 degs.

Just a reminder that you can also bump the momentary contact down switch multiple times. For example, lets say your flaps are full retracted and you want to skip the 10 deg position and extend directly to the 20 deg position. Just bump the switch down twice and watch it go. The cyan selected trim position pointer on the trim position gauge on the PFD will immediately move to show that you selected the 20 deg position.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, It does not appear there is a flaps maximum run time setting within the G3X Touch settings? I have a flaps switch that locks in the up position so I can just push it up for full flaps retract during a touch and go, however if I forget to push it back to the normal position my flaps motor will continue running. Am I missing something within the set up?

Steve, It does not appear there is a flaps maximum run time setting within the G3X Touch settings? I have a flaps switch that locks in the up position so I can just push it up for full flaps retract during a touch and go, however if I forget to push it back to the normal position my flaps motor will continue running. Am I missing something within the set up?

Hello Bryon,

Yes, we have a flap switch like that on our RV-7A.

You don't have to configure a maximum run time on the flap motor because the system automatically monitors the flap retraction and stops the flap motor when either the zero position is reached or when the flap movement has dropped below a minimum velocity for about 3 secs.

If you have a pre-programmed reflex position (like common on RV-10s), the system still stops at zero on the "held" retraction so you don't end up reflexed when you didn't mean to. If you want to go to the reflex position after a full flap retraction to zero, just flip the switch down, then back up.

Let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Keep alive power configuration

I had a question I wanted to confirm regarding the use of "Keep alive" power during the startup sequence. I presume that this gets wired into the secondary power input pin on the G3X GDU460 and the GEA 24? Also, would you have these devices on the main bus, or would you have them on the avionics bus that you kept off during start, so that they are pulling power instead through their secondary power input wire that is "filtered" through the GDA 27, keeping only the GAD 27 on the main bus? If there's a page in the manual that points me to this, feel free to throw it in my direction, however I was unable to find anything that related to this.
Regards,
Tom.

GAD 27 Operation of trim and flap without G3X or GSU 25 operational?

If I have an alternator failure and shed pretty much all loads except my G5 and Aera 660 (i.e. I turn off my G3X) but keep power to the GAD 27, am I still able to operate the flap and more the trim if they are wired through the GAD 27?
Thanks.
Tom.

If I have an alternator failure and shed pretty much all loads except my G5 and Aera 660 (i.e. I turn off my G3X) but keep power to the GAD 27, am I still able to operate the flap and more the trim if they are wired through the GAD 27?
Thanks.
Tom.

Hello Tom,

We responded directly via email to your "keep alive" question.

For this question, yes even if you power down the G3X Touch displays, ADAHRS, engine interface, etc and keep the the GAD 27 powered, it will still respond to the flap and trim switches and drive the trim and flap motors in a manual mode.

Thanks,
Steve

GAD 27 keep alive

G3Expert please post the answer to the GAD27 power question about the keep alive circuit. I am installing the system as well and have wondered about the same question.
Thanks!

G3Expert please post the answer to the GAD27 power question about the keep alive circuit. I am installing the system as well and have wondered about the same question.
Thanks!

Hello Kent,

The most common way to power the PFD (GDU 4XX), ADAHRS (GSU25), and Engine Monitor (GEA24) in a system using the GAD27 conditioned power (keep alive) output is to wire the Power 1 pins on each to the aircraft main power bus and the Power 2 pins on each to the GAD27 conditioned power output.

When this is done, main bus voltage drops which occur during engine cranking will not affect the PFD/ADAHRS/Engine Monitor which are up and running before starting the engine. This, of course, also maintains the GPS fix that the PFD may have already established before you started the engine.

Thanks,
Steve

I am retrofitting the G3X into my RV-7. Is there a way to use my current trim/flap position indicators as well as the G3X? Not sure how I would wire it with regard to the +5v from the GEA 24.

Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Vans Flap Positioning System

I am about to order the RV-10 Fuse Kit and would like to go with GAD27 to operate the flaps. Will I need the FLAP POSITIONING SYSTEM from Vans?

Thanks!

Nope! The GAD27 will do it for you. What you do need is a flap position indicator to show you where the flaps are positioned on the G3X screen. I used a Ray Allen POS position indicator to do the job. Works great!

Kent, many thanks for your speedy reply!

Nope! The GAD27 will do it for you. What you do need is a flap position indicator to show you where the flaps are positioned on the G3X screen. I used a Ray Allen POS position indicator to do the job. Works great!

The most common way to power the PFD (GDU 4XX), ADAHRS (GSU25), and Engine Monitor (GEA24) in a system using the GAD27 conditioned power (keep alive) output is to wire the Power 1 pins on each to the aircraft main power bus and the Power 2 pins on each to the GAD27 conditioned power output.

When this is done, main bus voltage drops which occur during engine cranking will not affect the PFD/ADAHRS/Engine Monitor which are up and running before starting the engine. This, of course, also maintains the GPS fix that the PFD may have already established before you started the engine.

I'm reviving this thread to ask for more info about the GAD27's "keep alive" conditioned power output. Is the use case for this only during engine cranking, or can it also double as a "poor man's" backup battery?

In other words, in the event of an in-flight alternator failure, is the GAD27's conditioned power output appropriate for keeping critical electronics at +12V for an extended duration or is it only suitable for momentary low-voltage conditions?

I'm reviving this thread to ask for more info about the GAD27's "keep alive" conditioned power output. Is the use case for this only during engine cranking, or can it also double as a "poor man's" backup battery?

In other words, in the event of an in-flight alternator failure, is the GAD27's conditioned power output appropriate for keeping critical electronics at +12V for an extended duration or is it only suitable for momentary low-voltage conditions?

Hello Ryan,

The conditioned power output from the GAD 27 is only suitable for brief low-voltage conditions such as seen when starting the engine. It is not a replacement for any required backup battery. Most customers will use one or the other, but not both.

Thanks,
Steve

Using both GAD 27 & IBBS

Hello Ryan,

The conditioned power output from the GAD 27 is only suitable for brief low-voltage conditions such as seen when starting the engine. It is not a replacement for any required backup battery. Most customers will use one or the other, but not both.

Thanks,
Steve

I am using both the IBBS battery backup system and the GAD 27 in my panel. I have PFD-1 connected to the battery, along with the GMA 11, GTN 650, ADAHRS, etc, but then connected the MFD to the GAD 27. This way I keep the current drain on the IBBS within specs, while being able to keep the MFD from re-booting during engine start.

Just an idea for your consideration.

Dave,
I?m curious, with no backup power pin on the GTN, how did you connect the GTN to the IBBS? Did you use TCW?s wiring and utilize the passthru?

No, I want the TCW IBBS to be a truly separate source (i.e. if the pass thru fails, the avionics will still receive power from the normal electrical system.) I isolated the 2 different power supplies by installing a diode in each source lead just ahead of the power input to the GTN 650. I used relatively large SR1045-TP Schottky 45V 10A R6 diodes from DigiKey (P/N SR1045-TPMSCT-ND). I did the same for one other supply, I think it was the GTR 200R radio (don't have my wiring diagrams in front of me to confirm).

Thx for the info Dave. Besides the PFD 460, GSU 25, and GEA24.....I'm contemplating placing my GTN 625 and GAD 29 on the IBBS as well. But I also want the IBBS to be a separate system. I'm not sure how to do the diode thing for secondary power...do you mind sharing what you did in case I go that route?

I also like having only those three key items on the IBBS as it would surely power those items for maybe 2 hours

Ed,

If you will send me your email address via Private Message on this board, I will email you a page from my wiring diagrams that shows where to place the diodes for isolation between the 2 power systems.

Think of a diode like a check valve - current will only flow through the diode in one direction. The diode blocks power back-flow should one of the 2 power circuits become shorted to ground or go off-line.

I am retrofitting the G3X into my RV-7. Is there a way to use my current trim/flap position indicators as well as the G3X? Not sure how I would wire it with regard to the +5v from the GEA 24.

Anyone done this?

Thanks!

I have not seen a reply to this question. I am also interested in continued use of the ray allen indicators while controlling the servos with the GAD 27.

Ray Allen Position Sensor

I have not seen a reply to this question. I am also interested in continued use of the ray allen indicators while controlling the servos with the GAD 27.

Good Morning,

The GEA 24 will provide 5V to each Ray Allen unit individually. There are drawings for this specific interface on page 30-6 of the AL revision of the G3X Touch Installation Manual.

Thanks,

Justin

Back