What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Gear too wide

Sully73

I need to transport a newly purchased RV-4 project. My trailer is 72" wide (inside the wheel wells) and my landing gear measures 77" wide.
Is it possible to squeeze my landing gear 5" so it will fit on my trailer?
Has anyone done this? Any advise?
Thanks
Jon

I wouldn’t suggest it. Build wood extensions to hold the gear outside of the trailer edges.

Check your local rental shops for a snowmobile trailer (2 place is fine for an A model; May need a support bridge for a TD). They are 8' wide and tip down for loading.

Larry

No. Don't do it.

That gear was made to flex OUT upon landing, acting as the spring to distribute the force/loads. Tying it/clamping together will not allow this action and all energy from the trip will be transferred up into the fuse/engine mount.

Years ago there was a -10 builder on here that used a vehicle style lift for his project (on gear), and the lift failed causing a drop. Because the gear was locked in place (not allowed to flex out), the energy was transferred up into the fuse with incredible damage.

Last edited:
Just an observation, when the weight is taken off a gear leg it moves in at least three inches on each side just like it does in flight. How could putting the gear in the in flight position cause any harm? This is also the position it is in when it contacts the runway.

High G-loads during transport noted

Many years ago I transported my KR-2 for final assembly.
Once secured onto a trailer, I excitedly drove away.
I was shocked to note on the panel mounted G-meter 4+ during the short trip.
Still not sure how that happened.
so, noted that even during careful moves stress is applied to the aircraft.

Daddyman

Back