- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 AM

Question is:

[1] how many hours for airplane itself?
[2] how many hours for firewall forward (engine, prop, etc)?
[3] how many hours for avionics and interiors?
Old 11-26-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
1000-1300 hours to complete? Are you kidding me??? Hah!! I'm at about 1000 hours now and haven't even finished the wings (although I admit I'm having to build the flaps twice). I've been at it for 3 years now, building when I'm not flying, and only on weekends because of my pesky job getting in the way. I have no way to tell for sure, but I'm guessing I have another 2 years before I'm finished based on my progress so far. The funny thing is (ludicrous actually) is that when I started I was convinced I would be flying in 2 years. I am now humbled.

Are you doing a QB? That is what the OP is asking about. I think Van's is on the very low side.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Received RV-14 Empennage Kit October 22, 2019
Started Tail Cone Dec 2019
Received QB Kit April 2020
Finished a mounted Tail Surfaces to Fuselage June 2020
2020 Dues Paid
Old 11-26-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Yeah

The factory numbers, for most people, are wishful thinking.

Someone who has built previously, makes no mods, and builds the basic airplane, may come close to the high side...otherwise, no.

There are two things for certain:

It will take longer than you think.

It will cost more than you think.

Enjoy the journey...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 PM

Default My 2 centavos

Something that hasn't been mentioned which I believe to be a big factor in overall build time...time blocks dedicated to the work. For example, if you have a typical day job, and put in two hours every third evening, you will spend a lot of time getting spun up and getting started...as opposed to the typical airline pilot bum who can dedicate 3-4 continuous days without interruption towards the build, and then study ahead while sitting comfortably at 36,000'. Much more efficient to dedicate big blocks of time to the build (my opinion only, because I would NEVER review the plans, or update my logbook, or organize pictures, or just think.... while working!)

Also, if you have a good mentor....perhaps someone who has an active project just ahead of you...it is a great source of steering and guidance as opposed to scratching your head for a few hours and then waiting until Van's tech support opens to ask a silly question!

These two inputs worked well for me...allowing me to complete my first project in under 1200 hours (including paint) and it turned out okay. (Thanks Mike!)
Exempt but paid
Old 11-26-2019, 04:17 PM

As others have mentioned, focus and ability to do a good chunk of time or working on it daily, will reduce the overall time it will take. Pervious experience will also help greatly.

One big factor for me was to build it in my garage which allowed me to spend 2-3 hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening after work but worked on it 6 days a week, every week.
Things that will prolong the build such as maintaining a Web log, deviating from plans, hanger talk/visit and beer breaks are some of the prime reason for prolonging.

My 14A took 11 months to have it at paint ready stage and two months for painting. It was well worth every minute I spent in the garage.
Dues paid