What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhead LED light with battery and main electrical recharge

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
I'd like to put a small LED light on my RV-7A slider roll bar, to help with preflight or as a backup to my headlamp during night operations.

It would be nice if it were battery powered so that it could work with the master off, yet also recharge its battery when the master is on.

I didn't find such a light at Aircraft Spruce or during an initial web search. Does anyone on this list know of such a unit?

If not, I'm contemplating designing one, and wonder if anyone else would want one.

Why not a podium or book light?

Rechargeable battery, USB recharged.

Some have both variable intensity and kelvin color.

They clip nicely to the glareshield and on your fire extinguisher if between seats.

$12 on Bezos' site.

L LOHAS LED
4.6 out of 5 stars 61Reviews
LOHAS Rechargeable 14 LED Book Light, Reading Light for Reading in Bed, 3000-6000K Dimmable 20 Lighting Modes, CRI 95 Blue Light Blocking Eye Protection, LED Clip on Book Light for Bookworms

Interesting! The price is right and the USB charging is appealing.

Do you fly with this light? Is the light or the cable management ever in your way? Does it pop off in turbulence?

David

I use an older style that is 2 leds each and 2 light stems, each with a power button for one or both on the stem.

Each power button turns on one or both. I nightshaded one and sanded/frosted the other to make the desired lighting.

Older ones are 3xAAA or USB, non charging. These newer are fixed battery recharged by USB.

I would try some clear, high-bond mushroom-head/EZ-Pass holder velcro-type fastner tape.

Put it in the optimum spot with and without USB cable access. You may like a spot better where you cannot run a cable.

You might find a spot that works well and has power.

I found clipping it to the glareshield edge horizontally worked well.

Last edited:
Back