What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb sync gauges

What's the best way to go when buying carb sync gauges? There are two gauges, one with two needles or electronic ones like the CarbMate.

Carb Synch

Many thoughts on this of course. And since they are BMW carbs (Bing) the standard route is the motorcycle method. Personally, I bought a used MP gauge off a wrecked twin from an aircraft salvage yard. The advantage is they have dampeners already built in. You get the two needles to match and you're done. This is also shown as an alternative method on the Rotax Owners Association website. And you do want to balance them pneumatically even if they sound/feel good after your mechanical balance.

Pete

I use an old school mercury tubes on a board gage for balancing the carbs. I'm not sure how sensitive they are compared to the Carbmate sytle gages, but they seem to work just fine for me. They don't store as well becuase you ahve to keep them upright or the mercury will spill out. ;)

Now THAT brings up some thoughts. Why not install the MP gauge permanently? You could check balance everytime you started the engine.
I used to keep my four carb Honda in tune with the mercury tubes, lots of trouble to keep the darned things from spilling.

Many thoughts on this of course. And since they are BMW carbs (Bing) the standard route is the motorcycle method. Personally, I bought a used MP gauge off a wrecked twin from an aircraft salvage yard. The advantage is they have dampeners already built in. You get the two needles to match and you're done. This is also shown as an alternative method on the Rotax Owners Association website. And you do want to balance them pneumatically even if they sound/feel good after your mechanical balance.

Pete

Carb sync

We did the carbs. on the two 912's in an Aircam Sat. We used a 10ft. piece of clear tubing half full of water, ends connected to each carb.and loop down to ground, with a clamp just above each water line. after starting eng. slowly loosen clamps and if carb. adj. is to far off tighten clamp before eng. ingests the water. No harm if it gets away from you, remember water injection!

Ted
Sonerai 2 1977
RV-4 2007 550 hrs.
12 emp. and wings done

We bought a Synchromate for balancing the carbs on the Rotax's in our charge (UK Tecnam dealers).

Works a treat and personally, I find it much easier to watch the LED move than to watch two needles.

Synchromate

We bought a Synchromate for balancing the carbs on the Rotax's in our charge (UK Tecnam dealers).

Works a treat and personally, I find it much easier to watch the LED move than to watch two needles.

too expensive for as little as an individual would use it. might work well for a group buy! Too many cheaper alternatives for a single use.

Pete

In the US they are about $180, consideriung I am spending $24K on the engine thats not very expensive...

Synchromate

If they were the only way to get an accurate pneumatic synch I would agree but they are not. Water/mercury...any liquid in a tube does the same thing. I would rather spend my money on a soft start module to avoid a kick back and more expensive broken sprague clutch.

Pete

Back