What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mine is not to reason why . . .

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
But I still wonder why we thread the TOP side of the wing tie down piece. Looking ahead in the plans so far I have not found the reason.

Ours is not to reason why but to go with the flow

Incase later you want to put an I-bolt in there to lift or hang the wing in a trailer.

Rats, I was hoping it was an attach point for a machine gun accessory.

Don,

Rumour has it that Vans will have an overwing wing ordinance pod available in time for Sun 'n Fun 2011. Cost should be around $399ea or a discounted price of $699 if you want one on each wing!

P.S. Forgot to add that the pods won't be available in Australia, because Vans made all us foreign builders sign a declaration basically saying that we wouldn't on-sell the RV-12 to the armed forces of third world countries. Something to do with your government's Homeland Security rules, I believe. (true story).

Last edited:
I have thought that after signoff, I would put a black tube with holes in it around the pitot tube, to simulate an air cooled machine gun.
I sure as heck am going to bolt SOMETHING in those threaded holes, maybe a rear view mirror. Suggestions anyone?

Just pop an LP4-3 rivet in them and call it good. ;)

Of course a nice set of off road lights would be different. :rolleyes:

Actually......

Those are "hard points" for the inter-plane struts for when the RV-24 is introduced.

Joke??

Could it be another of the Van's engineering staffs jokes - like "obtain a metric adjustable wrench"?:)

Or maybe Van's will introduce a sky hook for the RV-12 sometime this or next year.;)

I think you can add speed flaps there. The -12 needs them to keep from going supersonic.

Last edited:
If Van's does further development on the Skyhook, I hope they make a left hand version! We could use them as hardpoints for a JATO on each wing.

Or....

....fasten the over-wing gutter to channel and capture the.....

...(wait for it)...

...prop wash.

***RIMSHOT*** :D

Could it be another of the Van's engineering staffs jokes - like "obtain a metric adjustable wrench"?:)

Or maybe Van's will introduce a sky hook for the RV-12 sometime this or next year.;)

Umm I have two adjustable wrenches marked one side English one side metric :)

Back