What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 35-02 Step 2

Use the lock nut.

Use the lock nut. We discussed this way back when. I cant find the thread. I cant remember why Vans use that Bolt. Maybe some will remember why. :mad:

I think the reason is : that size bolt only comes in the cotter key style ?!? I am on the same page and that is what i have decided the reason is. Also, the most outboard bolts that are installed thru the U1202 are a pain to tighten and torque. not sure how thats going to happen yet. any ideas?

Update

Just finished the gear installation. If the AN6 bolt in that length only comes in a cotter pin style that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things tonight. I can see that is also would be more difficult to clock the nut for the cotter pin. Also, the bolt does hang down so the worst case of the nut coming off should not cause the bolt to fall out.

I drilled out the two rivets that were in the way of the outer most clamp. Van's should revise the drawings to make both of these CS4-4's to save some time during the gear installation. I was able get two rivets back in but it was a pain.

I also agree with what others posted, it is impossible to put both clamps in loosely and insert the gear, the outer skin is definitely in the way. You have to install the inner most clamp, insert the gear and then the outer clamp.

As for torquing the outer clamp nuts I used a universal joint connection and that allowed me to make that bend.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_71538-1074-22899_4294857621_4294937087_?productId=1098805&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Sockets%2BAccessories_4294857621_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

The rivets didn't give me much issue installing the clamps, but yes, had to do the inner first, insert gear, then outer. It was fun. Yeah, looks like the knuckle adapter will work. I will be happy to have it on the tires soon.

Back