What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 6-04 Step 5

pietermk

Well Known Member
I am ready to rivet the nut plate through the upper spar cap. But I am running into a problem with the rivet squeezer. When I position the yoke over the rear spar edge the set in the top does not reach the rivet below. the yoke bumps into the flange of the rear.

RV12

How do I squeeze these rivets?

thanks

You should be able to get at the rivets. Try all orientations of the squeezer. Over the angle, with the yoke at an oblique to the angle, etc. Then try different die lengths, if you have a selection. Then try reversing the two dies in the squeezer. You will be amazed how easy it is!! Sometimes, you just have to set the tools down and come back in an hour.

You can get at all of them!!

If I am looking at your photo correctly, you just need to slip a few washers under the rivet set to extend it down to meet the surface where the rivet will flush. It looks like your set has a fairly long "stem" and will easily accomodate the washers. I had to do this in a few places on my build.

Jim
RV12 120264
Flying 16 hours

Then try reversing the two dies in the squeezer

Marty has it

Then try reversing the two dies in the squeezer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the tips guys, I will heave to try it when I get home again. I am in Boise ID today.

Peter

Back