What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build table size

clucier

Well Known Member
For those building already, what size tables are you using, I am considering building the EAA tables but they seem a little narrow to me when working with wings etc.

Use the EAA design and build them to suite your needs, I built one that was 4x5 with a 2 inch overhang all around, if you put it on casters it makes it much more versatile.

-david

Different idea

I used a hollow core door (33" x 80") as a table top on a steel frame that I welded up from from some leftover 40mm square tubing. It's on castors, and I also added a couple of full length chipboard shelves. It was a cheap solution, and the size works fine for me, but there are endless variations that you can use, and the EAA design is a popular choice.

As an aside, I ordered my kit in early Feb, so based on the time interval beteen our respective kit numbers, I figure that VAN's must be selling an average of about 10 RV12's per month. Not bad.

I built two just like the EAA 1000 plans. Then I modified them with castors, an inset back rivet plate and T-nuts with long bolts so I can bolt them together as a single 4x5 or 2x10 table. So far, I wouldn't change a thing through the wings.

DSC00595.JPG

I copied

Big John's tables and am happy with the result. You get three tables from one sheet of plywood. Each of the tables is 48" by 32" and I can bolt them together either as 144" by 32" for the 'long' item construction or 96" by 48" for the fuselage, etc. Works great.

After seeing some 12 builders say that they wished that they had the ability to raise or lower their work benches, I incorporated an adjustable height feature. That was a lot of extra work and probably not worth it.

Good luck with your choice.:cool:

Build Tables

Our first kit was the wing kit and we took out the parts from the shipping crate, flipped the crate upside down, and put them on two saw horses...and no complaints through the build process. We built the wings on another set of saw horses; it was't rocket science.:)
Meade and George
N612RV (with NEW paint job...pics to follow)

no wheels

I thought about wheels as well, but decided to try these plastic things first, to see if I can just slide the workbench - works great!

DSCN7927_595.jpg

Table advice for Plans and Building

I layered 2 old doors together on top of 2 saw horses for my plans and parts and a few hand tools. I also used the shipping crate the first kit came in(tailcone/empenage). I bought 2 movers dollies from Menards, one for each end, bought a few 2x4's and built up the top from the shipping crate top. I then put a piece of inexpensive carpet on it to help prevent scratches. I must say this works super. Easily movable so I can reposition and work from all sides. I keep spare parts underneath in the crate part. This has been great. Also, I will either keep this for other projects or use the pieces such as the movers dollies and saw horses at a later date. I will try to attach my web page for review.
WorkBench:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ke&project=818&category=5695&log=102426&row=3

Plans Table from Doors:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ke&project=818&category=5695&log=106066&row=1

Small Parts Organization:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ke&project=818&category=5695&log=106065&row=2

After seeing some 12 builders say that they wished that they had the ability to raise or lower their work benches, I incorporated an adjustable height feature. That was a lot of extra work and probably not worth it.

I'm curious how you did the adjustable height modification. Any photos? Also, is most of the bench work on a RV-12 done in a sitting or standing position? Maybe it depends on the builder, but my feet don't do well standing for hours on end. I'm really trying to decide what table height is best for me.

I built two of the EAA 1000 tables to their plans. Great design. One thing though, if I built them again would be to make them about 3 or 4 inches taller, perhaps even more. You'd be surprised at the difference table height can make when you are doing the various building tasks. A bit higher and you can save many backaches over the long haul. Just consider that when planning your tables. I also built a modified version of the EAA 1000 table slightly higher, 2.5'x4' that fit over my compressor; I was working early on in a small 10x22 old timey garage so I needed to maximize workspace where ever I could.

http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Journal/shed/DCP_1096.JPG

http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Journal/shed/DCP_1099.JPG

Adjustable height worktable

I'm out of town and away from civilization as we know it for the next few weeks. I'll contact you with measurements when I get back - hop that that is soon enough. Again, I wouldn't waste the time and resources to make a set of variable height tables again. Best to you - ed:cool:

E.D,

Did you find out any more on the best height of the table? I am building mine this weekend for an RV8 project. Some people say measure up to your elbow while standing and use this height for the top of the table. I'm 6'4" so I want this table to be comfortable for years of building.

Chris

Bench height

The height of the work bench is matter of personal preference. Even if you build it the right height for small parts, you will find yourself standing on a stool to reach the bigger parts. Some builders make adjustable legs so that they can lower the bench as the plane gets bigger.
Joe

Did you find out any more on the best height of the table?...I'm 6'4" so I want this table to be comfortable for years of building.

I built two EAA tables to plans and they were too short for me but perfect when I added wheels. The wheels raised them about 4.5 inches. I'm your height.

I got a couple of company surplus formica-top desks cheap. They are about 30 inches wide. Set them end-to-end. Have built the entire thing on that. Did one wing at a time. After finishing the fuselage tub, for some space reasons I moved it and the tail tube and just joined them together on a pair of Sam'c club folding-leg tables. I've also used one of those and a B&D Workmake to make some small sub-assemblies. In other words, no special workbench is required for this build!

Back