What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First start and pre-oiling oil cooler

Megs4sale

Well Known Member
First start this weekend. Have studied the Lycoming guideline. Wondering how much oil the cooler actually holds, cant be much? Plan to remove upper accessory case line and pour in oil until it appears will take no more. Any other pre-oiling tips?

I would not bother removing a line as you describe. Standard steps:
- Drain the preservation oil out of the engine.
- Remove one plug from each cylinder. Crank the engine no more than 20 seconds with the starter. Let the starter cool off and repeat until you get oil pressure indication.

Carl

With the plugs removed, I also pulled the prop through many times - lost count, but a lot. Then spun it without the plugs with the starter until I saw oil pressure, then started. All ok, no lines removed.

Not sure you want to overfill with oil and then turn it over.

You also need to purge air out of the oil cooler. Temporarily remove the outlet from the cooler and fashion a drain hose into a bucket. Turn the prop until the air bubbles stop, then reconnect everything.

These instructions come with the oil cooler if you purchase it new. Not sure if they are provided for a new engine.

V

Back