What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 (no suffix) intake hose size/part #?

NM Doug

Well Known Member
If we could order intake hoses for our O-320 (no suffix - too early an engine for those) before taking our lower cowl off again, that would save us a few days of down time.

1. Spruce says Lycoming’s O-320 uses hose SSRSTD-1196. On their site, that part just says 1 1/2” (no other dimensions), out of stock, shipping Sept. 1st.

2. An online Lycoming part manual PC-103 from 1976 says (IF I'm reading it correctly) O-320 (no suffix) uses parts for O-320-A3A which translates to hose STD-1196. That one Spruce has: 1.50 ID X 1.94 OD X 1.81, but it appears to be a different part?

Are SSRSTD-1196 and STD-1196 different parts? Any suggestions on which part # to order, one of these or something else entirely?

Thanks,
Doug

I used 1.75" ID Silicone radiator hose from Mcmaster. Ordered 1' and cut into 6 - 2" sections for my 540. Recommend constant tension clamps from there as well. 540 cylinders are the same as 320, so assume this size also works on the 320. I can't remember which size I ordered for my 320, but believe it was the same.

https://www.mcmaster.com/5296K411

Larry

Last edited:
I used 1.75" ID Silicone radiator hose from Mcmaster. Ordered 1' and cut into 6 - 2" sections for my 540. Recommend constant tension clamps from there as well. 540 cylinders are the same as 320, so assume this size also works on the 320. I can't remember which size I ordered for my 320, but believe it was the same.

https://www.mcmaster.com/5296K411

Larry

The OP mentioned an O-320, so carburetor? Wasent there a thread recently about the incompatible of silicone hoses on a carbed engine due to the fuel? Injected engines are fine because the fuel is introduced downstream of the hoses.

I had an early O320 dash nothing on my first rv6a. My recollection is that it originally had a smaller intake tube size than the later o320’s. When I changed out the sump due to the original having a rear carburetor location that interfered with my nose gear, I remember having to buy new larger intake tubes and hoses.
Only way to know for sure is to decowl and measure what’s on your engine.

We took a look after getting the cowling off, and for our older narrow deck O-320 (no suffix), the 69603 LYCOMING INTAKE HOSE on Spruce was the right size. I don't have them here to measure - they were larger diameter than we were initially expecting, at 1 3/4 instead of 1 1/2.

~ Doug

Back