What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen System

Frankster13

Can anyone recommend a good oxygen system for RV flying out west and needing to go high for crossing various mountainous terrain and how much I can expect to pay?

I use the pulse demand type system, so easy nothing to adjust just use it. I think it's a Mountain High system. I get the tank filled at the local welding shop for $22.

Lots of prior discussion in various threads on VAF. Some ideas on DIY systems, as well as various mfg. Suggest using the search feature of the forum, or use google search on the forum. Way too much to repeat here.

I bought a tank that?s tall enough to see the gauges when it stands on the baggage floor (right side) and mounted to the sidewall. This has worked out very well for me.

Bevan

I actually made a system for <$200 from new parts available on ebay. Pick a tank size that fits your need and space (170 liter M6 for me), I got a Easy Pulse 5 oxygen conserving regulator, cannula, and a pouch for the whole thing. I purchased some flow spinner things from Mountain High so you can see the oxygen flowing each time you take a breath (sometimes its hard to detect). The whole thing weighs 4.1 lbs and is all medical grade stuff.

The regulator has 5 settings for the amount of O2 per breath or can go continuous. At the highest setting the 170L of O2 last 3.2 hours and 10.1 at the lowest. Set it based on your pulse oximeter. Mounted the whole thing with a fire extinguisher mount.

I get it filled at Roberts Oxygen. They gave me a bit of a hassle the first time, but once they stuck their label on the bottle, it wasn't a problem after that.

Could send photos if you want.

+1 Mountain High

I use the Mountain High O2D2 with one of their smaller cylinders. Easy to operate and even the smaller tank lasts forever.

I get mine filled at the scuba shop for something like $15. I should have gone to them first. The welding place balked, the local FBO is expensive and didn't give me a complete fill, and the medical place demanded that I exchange cylinders. Scuba guy just said "is tomorrow soon enough?" :)

So easy and cheap, and my usage is so low, that I haven't been able to justify my own O2 filling setup.

I use the pulse demand type system, so easy nothing to adjust just use it. I think it's a Mountain High system. I get the tank filled at the local welding shop for $22.

Definitely get a pulsed delivery system. The real reason is so that if you're on a trip, you don't have to try to get it refilled when you're out in the sticks.

I actually made a system for <$200 from new parts available on ebay. Pick a tank size that fits your need and space (170 liter M6 for me), I got a Easy Pulse 5 oxygen conserving regulator, cannula, and a pouch for the whole thing. I purchased some flow spinner things from Mountain High so you can see the oxygen flowing each time you take a breath (sometimes its hard to detect). The whole thing weighs 4.1 lbs and is all medical grade stuff.

The regulator has 5 settings for the amount of O2 per breath or can go continuous. At the highest setting the 170L of O2 last 3.2 hours and 10.1 at the lowest. Set it based on your pulse oximeter. Mounted the whole thing with a fire extinguisher mount.

I get it filled at Roberts Oxygen. They gave me a bit of a hassle the first time, but once they stuck their label on the bottle, it wasn't a problem after that.

Hi, Don. I got an RV8 earlier this year and need to fly over the rocks from Seattle to Bozeman to see parents, so have been thinking about this. I am not very handy...is what you have done pretty easy to set up? If so, if you would not mind sending photos / parts list, I'd be so grateful. [email protected] would be the easiest way to get it to me, rather than posting here.

Thanks so much.

Seth Leopold

Can anyone recommend a good oxygen system for RV flying out west and needing to go high for crossing various mountainous terrain and how much I can expect to pay?

You can buy one of the kits designed for aircraft for hundreds of dollars or you can get what you need off ebay for less than $100.You will need a 165l bottle with post valve and a regulator. You will need a cannula and maybe a pulse oximeter to monitor your oxygen level.

I had a hard time finding someplace to fill my bottles so I bought a 80CF bottle off ebay along with an adaptor to fill my little tanks. It only costs around $25 to fill it at the local Airgas and that ought to fill my little tanks around 16 times.

I have a Inogen G4 and it works great. I don't have to worry about refills.
Looks like inogen released just released a G5.
I think the folks at www.windblade.com have them .

[/URL]I have heard about this systems. Are they acceptable for use in aircraft? Just wondering cause I have not seen them in aircraft use.

Just edited my own post. Went to https://www.inogenaviator.com/products and it is specifically designed for aviation use. Kind of expensive but spending $2500 once allows unlimited use of the oxygen without the significant weight penalty and hassle of refilling the bottles. One would be more likely to use the system if it was always available. Runs off of ship power and has 2 cannulas, perfect for most RV's, including mine.

Makes me think.

Last edited:
System works great, i have the G4. Bought it used for $1000. I have been using it for 2 years. I have 2 batteries and if I run out I can plug in ship power. A new one has come out recently. The G5.

I recommend contacting them and asking about altitude capability. I seem to recall that some of these oxygen generators don't work very well at higher altitude (above 12k). I would think one labeled for aviation SHOULD work, but dunno.... A quick look and I didn't see anything about this on the innogen website. Worth a phone call or email before shelling out $2500.....

Oxygen Generators

I think these are the wave of the future for General Aviation. I had an Aerox system and my own big bottle of Aviation O2. Filling it was a pain. Transferring the O2 to a D Bottle I could carry in a backpack strapped to my RV4's pilot seat, and worrying about running out was a lot of trouble. I too bought my Inogen G4 used for $1000.00. Since I fly mostly solo I believe it will satisfy my needs....12000 feet or so....nicely. if I need to go up to G5, I'll do it.

Altitude limitations

With two people it?s limited to 14,000?; solo pilot to 18,000?. This is the new G5.

We used an Inogen for two people at 16.5 and it worked great. Was a heck of a trip over the Mountains of Montana with a 65kt head wind.

Personally I think building your own with a medical tank is the way to go. It is much cheaper to get a medical refill, or do it yourself. There may be a concern with getting a refill while on a long cross country, but that has never been a concern for me. Every town where you might spend the night had a place to get your tank filled. Not all FBO's can fill an aircraft tank, and those that do charge a prop and a cam (arm and leg). You could also build a medical to aviation hose adapter to open up FBO's. I have a Jumbo D tank and a medical regulator. IT is mounted on quick disconnects and quick release clamps. I have three bottles so that I can swap them out. The system is built-in and can be dialed from .25L to 5L. I wear a Pulse-Ox meter and adjust flow to maintain 93 or higher pulse-ox levels. Here is my calculated endurance on it. Basically 2 people can fly on it for 12 hours:

Jumbo D Tank (minutes of flow remaining) Demand per occupant (L/m)
Flow setting L/m To maintain
PSI 0.75 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 Altitude Sea Level 4000 Ambient O2
2200 707 530 353 265 212 177 7000 0.78 0.30 16
2000 643 482 321 241 193 161 8000 0.88 0.40 15.4
1800 578 434 289 217 173 145 9000 0.98 0.50 14.8
1600 514 386 257 193 154 129 10000 1.06 0.58 14.3
1400 450 337 225 169 135 112 11000 1.15 0.67 13.7
1200 386 289 193 145 116 96 12000 1.23 0.75 13.2
1000 321 241 161 120 96 80 13000 1.31 0.83 12.7
800 257 193 129 96 77 64 14000 1.38 0.90 12.3
600 193 145 96 72 58 48 15000 1.46 0.98 11.8
400 133 99 66 50 40 33 16000 1.52 1.04 11.4
200 64 48 32 24 19 16 17000 1.58 1.10 11
Target SpO2 is 93% or Higher 18000 1.66 1.18 10.5
Target SpO2 is 93% or Higher

We used an Inogen for two people at 16.5 and it worked great. Was a heck of a trip over the Mountains of Montana with a 65kt head wind.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. Real world examples! Were there any issues with two people using the single system? It is a pulse demand system and wanted to know if you could detect any differences if you and your wife were breathing in unison, 180 degrees out of sync or anything in between.

To others,

I understand that a bottle is less expensive and oxygen is usually available at airports but it is worth it to me not to have to be taking the time required to hustle these items down or trying to ration the O2 supply on trips. If there was an "unlimited" supply on hand, it would get used more often. I have been told that it helps keep the fatigue level down even at flights as low as 8K. Haven't ever used oxygen personally but do make 600 nm trips frequently.

Paul

I had a couple of people ask me about my DIY system I put together for the limited space in my Long EZ. Here the description I sent out...

The O2 system consists of a small bottle, a demand style regulator, cannula, a carrying bag, regulator key, a pin wheel flow indicator and a mounting bracket. I bought an adapter so that the medical bottle could be filled at an airport, but I have never used it because a bottle lasts so long. The whole setup weighs just over 4 pounds.

The bottle I used was an M6 size bottle which holds 165 liters. With the pulse demand regulator, that can last from 3 to 10 hours depending on the regulator setting. These are medical bottles and have a special yoke style regulator for a post valve. Get whatever size you think you need. The little M6 I have is about 12” tall and 3.2” diameter. Surf around, you can get these new for $50 - 75. https://www.wtfarley.com/M6-Aluminum-Oxygen-Cylinder Make sure they are new, or you might have trouble getting it filled.

The cornerstone of this setup is the Easy Pulse 5 regulator. It has 5 settings and you can dial it in for however much you need based on your pulse oximeter indications. This is a yoke type and only works with medical bottles. $100-150 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-...425787?hash=item3da55e4cfb:g:Y0oAAOSwoKhe6rbe

I used a fire extinguisher mount from Spruce and bolted it to some hard points in the strakes so it was in easy reach. $17 https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/fireextinguisherbkt1200.php?clickkey=22029

Close to the bottle and in view, I had a flow indicator. With all the noise and air movement in the cockpit I had a hard time telling if I was getting O2. This gives you a visual indication. https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/roto-flow-indicator-red/ from Mountain High for $14.

A carrying bag you can get on Ebay or just about anywhere else for $15. A lot of times they come with a wrench to open the valve and or a cannula so watch for a combo deal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-O...a295b00:g:tloAAOSw2fhenaBH&LH_ItemCondition=3

If you are willing to go preowned, you can find most of this stuff for 50 to 75% less than the new stuff I have linked.

I also bought a boom cannula from Mountain High I think. In the cockpit of the Long EZ this was a must. I super like this cannula. https://www.mhoxygen.com/product-category/cannulasface-masks/cannulasface-masks-e-z-breathe/

I also where the pulse oximeter around my neck. You can get those just about anywhere. I think Anti-Splat is selling them as well.

There is an adapter you can buy which will allow the medical bottle to be filled at an airport or welding shop. Its in my hangar still in the box... I never used it. A retired fire fighter friend said you might talk your way into getting the tank filled for a generous boot donation. The adapter is made by Western Gas and Control Technology model M87-1. Here is a link to the company, but I don't know where I found it, ebay I'd bet. http://westernenterprises.com/?s=m87-1

Last edited:
My MH system practically lasts the entire summer season between refills. Based in Durango, most of my flying is on O2. Refilling is so infrequent that its not an inconvenience whatsoever.

O2 DIY system

The one above from Amazon specification says:

ADJUSTABLE FLOW RATE - Easily adjusts between 12 preset flow settings from 0-25 LPM with a simple turn of the knob. Easy to read indicator shows the current LPM.

This one is way too big. The narrower the range, the finer the adjustments. This one has 12 pre-set adjustments from 0 to 25, so they are probable in 1L and 5L increments. You need about 1L per person, so one that goes 0-3 for a 2 place or 0-5 for a 4 place would let you fine-tune it better.
I fly with a pulse-ox meter on my finger and adjust the flow to maintain 92% or better.

Looking for advise where to fill DIY oxygen tank

Got all parts and build the system. Have tried to fill the tank in multiple places who advertise oxygen without luck so far.

Visited Breckenridge, CO where they advertise oxygen a lot due to high altitude. However they don't refill customer tanks.

To fill in scuba shop M87-1 adapter is needed.

Looking for advice where to get tank filled.

Got all parts and build the system. Have tried to fill the tank in multiple places who advertise oxygen without luck so far.

Visited Breckenridge, CO where they advertise oxygen a lot due to high altitude. However they don't refill customer tanks.

To fill in scuba shop M87-1 adapter is needed.

Looking for advice where to get tank filled.

Your best bet, IMO, is to roll your own refill system...just buy a couple of big-@ss O2 tanks and the transfill adapter for your tank, and then you can swap out the big tank when it gets low at any industrial gas place for a song by comparison to paying others to fill your tank. And don't bother listening to anyone who says you can't do that because it has to be "Aviator's Oxygen"...all O2 is the same, be it welder's, medical or otherwise (except laboratory-grade, which is a whole different thing, and not something you'd normally find).

Lots of info on this in the forums...

Oxygen Setup... Easy Now a Days...

Just add a 540 adapter ($35) for fills of aviation O2.. at FBO's

ACtC-3eUyhj09kBVy6hFRXg2ioghIm9ed4g8YGIVwtaxjSm80lBnUdpaGn711gzoAHtnGMC5CgITL1GlRve2CVYQPqiB-2oben-v1UZBx2T8cauHLeAizlRD-H0nSc91PW3mCzMOwvTPju1ArQE-Ya2CklyP=w500-h250

Back