What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight versus Skyview

bhassel

Well Known Member
I hadn't wanted to hijack another thread.

Is the iPad/Foreflight combination useful when you have the Skyview system?

Thanks,

Bob

I have a single 10" SkyView and have done a lot of long cross country flights and am still trying to figure out what the fascination is with tablets in the cockpit.

In other words, I would say don't bother, unless you are using it for approach plates.

Yes, I use ForeFlight along with my Skyview. Foreflight is great for flight planning and in-flight data. On a typical cross-country I use my IPad/ForeFlight for getting info about fuel stops (fuel prices), alternate routings and misc other stuff (reading Game of Thrones).

Yes, I use both. The IPad moves from seat to seat to home to hangar a lot easier :D and is best for planning and briefing. The Skyview is easier to use and see while flying. I have not subscribed to sectional charts with Skyview so the iPad is my back-up and charts in the cockpit.

Last edited:
I have a single 10" SkyView and have done a lot of long cross country flights and am still trying to figure out what the fascination is with tablets in the cockpit.

In other words, I would say don't bother, unless you are using it for approach plates.

Yes, I use ForeFlight along with my Skyview. Foreflight is great for flight planning and in-flight data. On a typical cross-country I use my IPad/ForeFlight for getting info about fuel stops (fuel prices), alternate routings and misc other stuff.

Ditto. Foreflight is my preflight briefing and flight planning tool and with e Stratus is better for checking weather along the route than the Skyview. The NEXRAD from ads-b on the Skyview is great for navigating around the bad stuff. They work great together. I don't use the Skyview for plates and charts because the iPad is so much easier to navigate and get info from.

I use the tablet for flight planning out of the airplane mostly, but take it with me and fly with the sectionals in Skyview. I occasionally use the table to look ahead at things but since Skyview made sectionals available and is easier to see, don't navigate with the tablet.

Even with charts on an EFIS, its probably handy to have a backup of some kind. Since paper charts are pretty much history, Foreflight charts or SmartPlates or any of them on an IPad can be a nice resource if you need it.

iPad and Skyview

Have been using both for about a month. Skyview is really all you need when flying. I have the full Seattle Avionics databases installed and really don't need the iPad when in the air. However, I use Foreflight a lot for planning/preflight and I take it along as a backup. In fact I just cancelled my subscriptions for paper charts since I have the iPad for backup, so I still have redundancy.

It is so amazing when I think about how advanced the cockpit of the RV-12 has become vs. what I was doing in a circa 1973 C172 just a year ago. Not knocking the cessna but with ADS-B and moving map in the panel I really feel privileged to be flying today.

Back