What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Are Your Aviation Goals For 2011?

Actually, my Dad and I kinda did that.

Hmmm, you are not the first to build before getting licensed, but not how most folks do it.

Are you planning on learning to fly in your own plane??

That would sure be an adventure-------I just see it now, sitting around the fire, beer in hand, telling the guys

"yep, built my own plane, and learned to fly in it too"

Here's an interesting (maybe) story...

Back in 1965 or so neither my Dan nor I had ever had flight instruction. My Dad bought a 1947 Aeronca Champ 7AC that needed recovering, wing repairs, and other refurb. Over a couple of years we rebuilt it in his shop, having an A&P looking over our shoulders. He had the Continental A65 overhauled in Opa Locka, FL. We put it all together and then tried to find someone to teach us to fly. We ran across an instructor by the name of Lee Robinson who agreed to give us instruction.

We lived in Boca Raton, FL, at the time. I'm not sure why, but for some reason Lee could not give us instruction in our plane from Boca. Perhaps he was working for the FBO there and was required to give instruction in their aircraft. So, we learned to fly from a crop duster grass strip west of Delray Beach, FL. Lee soloed me in about 5 hours, and I flew that Champ for another 50 hours as a student pilot. In 1972 I completed my PPL at Showalter Aviation at Herndon Airport in Orlando, FL. I graduated from FTU (now UCF) in 1973 with a BSE.

Fast forward 35 years. In 2004 I decide to build an airplane. I wanted an RV, but at that time I didn't have the budget or help to build one. So I went with a Sonex. I received my kit in September, 2004 and had my first flight on 12/17/2006, the 103rd anniversary of the Wright Brothers first flight.

In 2007 I ran across a guy named Lee Robinson on one of the Sonex lists. In short order I learned that he was my first instructor, and was 83 years old. He lives in the Palm Beach, FL area, and I was living in Palm Coast, FL, a couple of hundred miles north.

Last year I finally got a chance to fly my Sonex down to Lantana airport and take Lee for his first Sonex ride. It turned out that I still had a lot of pilotage stuff to learn from Lee!!

It was a real thrill for both of us. I'll bet that not too many of us get to build their own airplane, regardless of make, and take our very first instructor for a ride. I feel very privileged to have been able to do so.

And to keep this RV related, I am now looking to sell my Sonex and acquire an RV-4 or RV-6. Or trade my Sonex plus required cash for an RV. :):)

And to keep this thread related, I hope to do so in the first half of 2011!!! :):)

Happy holidays to everyone!!

Chris Smith

Solo. If my schedules for spring and autum quarter work out how I want to, then I should start flying next autum. And if that works out I'll hopefully have a PPL early 2012.

Fuselage kit is almost done, so next year will be the time to start figuring out the rest of the parts and pieces that will make this thing into an aircraft.

Finish kit will be ordered soon, so I'll be busy with the canopy, firewall forward and cowling work in 2011.

Definitely want to go to Oshkosh for the first time. Anyone in SoCal need a co-pilot?

Get my airplane back in the air again (actually a 2010 goal, hopefully next week)

Tailwheel endorsement

Back to Atlin, BC again next summer (any takers?)

Start considering a new airplane project

greg

1. Fly more than I did in 2010. This shouldn't be hard since I have only logged about 5 hours this year.

1a. Give my grandmother the airplane ride I promised her 2 years ago.

2. Finish wing kit and get the fuselage kit in my posession.

3. Tailwheel endorsement.

I am hoping for a very productive year.

I'll pay you if you take my last 25 lbs, Vlad!

It would make me happy to get the -3 tail kit done and get a good start on the wings in 2011.
And learn to fly an RV-8. :D

Hehehe now let's get industrious as Ron put it. Katie I have a brilliant plan, if executed properly will be win-win. I get pounds and money and you loose a bit of both :D You have to get the cash (in tens and twenties only) and start heading my way on a bicycle. From Tenessee to New York is not that far by Xmas you'll make it if start biking tomorrow morning. You have to time Xmas evening by arriving in Central Park by the Plaza and wait there. Remember the movie "Home Alone"? Right there. I am working that evening you may momentarily click on my signature to figure out where ;) By that time I put my job on autopilot and go to meet you to take pounds and money, I will bring certified hospital scales to make sure we have correct amount transferred. Then we check The Tree at Rockefeller Center and you depart home to your RV3B using aluminum tube from KLGA. I will keep the bike. How it sounds? :D

Hehehe now let's get industrious as Ron put it. Katie I have a brilliant plan, if executed properly will be win-win. I get pounds and money and you loose a bit of both :D You have to get the cash (in tens and twenties only) and start heading my way on a bicycle. From Tenessee to New York is not that far by Xmas you'll make it if start biking tomorrow morning. You have to time Xmas evening by arriving in Central Park by the Plaza and wait there. Remember the movie "Home Alone"? Right there. I am working that evening you may momentarily click on my signature to figure out where ;) By that time I put my job on autopilot and go to meet you to take pounds and money, I will bring certified hospital scales to make sure we have correct amount transferred. Then we check The Tree at Rockefeller Center and you depart home to your RV3B using aluminum tube from KLGA. I will keep the bike. How it sounds? :D

You are too funny! (but I hope it works)
:D

I plan on.........

taking my newly minted PPL and recently finished RV6 and going many places with my beautiful wife.........all hopefully safely.

Merry Christmas All.........Hope we all have a safe New Year.

2011 goals

Visit family in California
OshKosh
Begin researching Baja or Bahamas (They both start with "Bah Hah"...)
Highest (Leadville @ 9,927') and Lowest (Furnace Creek @ -210')

Formation Flight training complete - get the Black Jack Squadron sticker on the tail!

A Vacation trip to the Dominican Republic in our RV-7A "Sky Terrier" is one of our major goals. Seems like an awful lot of our activities are centered around our RV. Also seems like food is usually envolved.

-Renew CFI.

-Get through my 757/767 training and type.

-Go to Oshkosh for the first time (hopefully with the woman)!

-Work hard to pay off wife's student loan debt and our vehicles (so I can start building my airplane sooner)!

-Maybe do a nice big RV-8 oil painting to hang in my garage for motivation during the build. That or a painting of Tim Taylor on Tool Time so I can look at it when it comes engine time and I'll get the "more power" train of thought. :D

-Read this forum and gain ideas for the build.

Goals for an Aviatin' 11

Let's see...
  1. Get down to 50R more and see my Dad
  2. Try to fly more hours this year. 48 to 50 would be a good number
  3. Continue to send this site a donation!
  4. Continue my dream of one day having my own RV

Buy the G3 ignition for my mags
Buy my seat harnesses from Crow
Buy an ACK E-04 ELT
Buy a good used SL40 at a reasonable price
Get the baffles installed
Get the airbox installed
Finish the firewall forward tasks
Finish the wiring including antennas
Install my windscreen and glass in place

If all the above gets done - find a hangar to move plane to.

Hmmm, you are not the first to build before getting licensed, but not how most folks do it.

Are you planning on learning to fly in your own plane??

That would sure be an adventure-------I just see it now, sitting around the fire, beer in hand, telling the guys

"yep, built my own plane, and learned to fly in it too"

Thanks, Mike,

Actually, I had a brief chat with Mike Seager about it, and he strongly advised against it. But then, I know of at least a couple people in our area who have done it. I'm going to think it over some more, but at this point I think I would like at least some time in another aircraft like a Cessna 150 or 172, or perhaps a Cherokee or Piper. I might start with something slower like that and then transition into my own RV as soon as I can. I know back in the day, the Air Force started pilot training in a C-150 and after a few hours put you in a T-37 so my thinking can't be too far off. I hadn't thought about bragging rights around the campfire. Sounds fun, though. :D :D

Can't believe I forgot this...one of the things I'm MOST looking forward to after Phase I, is Pilot's N Paws missions!:cool: I've been signed up for over two years, and I keep having to turn down trips...not for much longer!!

Goals...

I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet..... Young Eagles....fly lots of 'em.

I encourage anyone with the slightest interest to get involved. Way too often I read threads lamenting the future of GA. IMHO, this is the best thing going to keep GA alive.

Here's my useful load increasing tip....skip lunch and go flying today!

I know back in the day, the Air Force started pilot training in a C-150 and after a few hours put you in a T-37

It was actually a 180 HP 172, and the syllabus was 15-25 hours, including a checkride. Even then some guys never made it out of Tweets. Of course, they trashed that program for a more comprehensive, aerobatic syllabus in the T-3A Firefly, until those started falling out of the sky. :(

Bruce, based on your build, you're a very conscientious, meticulous and thorough guy. You'll do fine however you decide to go about it! It will be a blast either/any way you decide to do it!

Joe

I wouldn't do it ............

Thanks, Mike,

Actually, I had a brief chat with Mike Seager about it, and he strongly advised against it. But then, I know of at least a couple people in our area who have done it. I'm going to think it over some more, but at this point I think I would like at least some time in another aircraft like a Cessna 150 or 172, or perhaps a Cherokee or Piper. I might start with something slower like that and then transition into my own RV as soon as I can. I know back in the day, the Air Force started pilot training in a C-150 and after a few hours put you in a T-37 so my thinking can't be too far off. I hadn't thought about bragging rights around the campfire. Sounds fun, though. :D :D

that way again! Bruce, I just got my PPL in basically the only airplane I had ever flown, the RV6, I built. I strongly recommend you get your PPL in another airplane while you are building. I am semi retired, worked on my plane everyday, had the best instructor, thousands of hours in RV's, but it was very stressful. Insurance is a problem, if you can find it, it's very expensive and your always worried about hurting your "baby". In thinking back on it, it really wasn't that difficult, never really scared myself, but it just a whole lot to make come together at one time. Throw in a tail wheel airplane and it really makes the bar go up. Also the time to Solo, and practice will increase in an RV. It would have cut a lot of time just to do it in another airplane. Plus, when you get ready to take your checkride, these things get a little more sensitive than they already are.

As for "Campfires", those are for "Beer" & "Smores". It's "Your Hog & Your Corn", and yes, I am proud of my accomplishment, but when you get right down to it, "It's Just Another Brick in the Wall".

My goals for 2011

My Goals for 2011 are:
1. Give my first passenger a ride (now that I’ve completed Phase 1)
2. Taking it on some cool cross country trips
3. Finishing the fiberglass details and painting my airplane
4. Keeping it safe
5. And last but not least expanding my RV family, as you are all some great people!!
DropBox

Last edited:
Goals for 2011:

1. Graduate college this May (on a good note)
2. Find a decent job
3. IFR Rating
4. Get -3 project moved to where I will be living and BUILD! (living 3hrs away from a project, you get out of loop and out of steam pretty quickly)

Mine are somewhat attainable, hopefully.

1. Have my wing kit ordered by March for the -8.
2. Finish my formation training and get my FAST patch on the T-6.
3. Fly with the Snowbirds again this year in Toronto (might cost me a Texas Mikey this time, but I'd pay more! ;) )

Get the first European RV12 in the air - January
Complete all flight testing and gain UK approval for RV12s - February
Add wheel spats - March
Give everyone I owe a ride - April (busy month)
Add autopilot - May
Second attempt to get to the North Cape (top of Norway/Russia), this time in an RV - June
Second Oshkosh - July (stretch goal ;-))
Restart young eagles flights, this time in the RV - August
Attend first UK national LAA fly-in in the RV - September
Pass flying medical - October
Give the RV a holiday, and take the big silver bird to Sri Lanka - November
Accomplish 100 hours flying in 2011 - December

I'll be happy with a 50% hit rate ;-)

Cheers...Keith

Wow ...

Some of you people are really energetic. My list is pretty simple:

1) Get some good aerobatic training so I can more fully enjoy Smokey's capabilities

2) Go to more fly-ins

3) Make it down to 52F to mooch off Danny and Marthajane for a few days

4) Secure world peace

:D

1.) Fly at least 6 hours per month
2.) Finish the 12
3.) Sport CFI
4.) Lose 70 pounds (That is 7 lbs per month to make my goal of 200 by 11/1 :)

and if I run out of things to do...

5.) tailwheel endorsement
6.) assuming completion of 2 and 4 and enjoyment at #5 start building an LSA tail dragger (Vans are you listening :) I wouldn't want to have to jump ship to a different vendor :)

I wouldn't do it... that way again! Bruce, I just got my PPL in basically the only airplane I had ever flown, the RV6, I built. I strongly recommend you get your PPL in another airplane while you are building. I am semi retired, worked on my plane everyday, had the best instructor, thousands of hours in RV's, but it was very stressful. Insurance is a problem, if you can find it, it's very expensive and your always worried about hurting your "baby". In thinking back on it, it really wasn't that difficult, never really scared myself, but it just a whole lot to make come together at one time. Throw in a tail wheel airplane and it really makes the bar go up. Also the time to Solo, and practice will increase in an RV. It would have cut a lot of time just to do it in another airplane. Plus, when you get ready to take your checkride, these things get a little more sensitive than they already are.

As for "Campfires", those are for "Beer" & "Smores". It's "Your Hog & Your Corn", and yes, I am proud of my accomplishment, but when you get right down to it, "It's Just Another Brick in the Wall".

Thank you, Chuck,

Wise and thoughtful comments. That's basically what Mike Seager was trying to tell me. And I'm listening. I am definitely considering very carefully how I go about this. No sense at all in shortchanging my instruction or trying to hurry things along. I don't see myself trying to fly and build at the same time. Spreads me too thin, mentally and financially. I'm definitely going to Mike for transition training when it's the appropriate time and I'll rely on his judgement about how/when to proceed from that point. It may be a while. In the meantime, I have an RV to finish!

Joe, THANK YOU so much!

Fly at least 100 hours in 2011......

PS...lose 1/3 the weight Gary Sobek lost!

Last edited:
Most importantly fly safe, hopefully another trip to Oshkosh, maybe install better landing lights, more training and hopefully as much flying as the past couple of years

Make the world a better place

1) Implement Heath Care Reform (Keep my medical)
2) Increase my knowledge (add some new electronic gizmo cool thing to the panel)
3) Improve important relationships (Keep wife happy by taking her flying)
4) Fix the US economy and pull it out of a recession (by lots of gas for the RV)
5) Solve world hunger (make at least a dozen $200 hamburger runs. That is $80 for gas, $20 for the burgers, and $100 dollars donated to a world relief charity)

first flight

in my 6 before the fourth of July would be top on my list. Next would be to drop 25 lbs of so before I go back for my next medical in June.

Long Term Goals

I have decided to fly my RV-12 for a short flight on my 100th birthday, and then put it up for sale. Year: 2030. I am well on the way !!!

1. Renew my Rotax certifications in Feb.
2. Maybe actually start building the -12. I've had all but the engine & avionics kits in my hangar about a year. Many excuses but time to get serious.
3. Fly more. Have only been doing about 80 hours/yr
4. As EAA 292 president support the best Homecoming ever!
5. Get my exercise program back in gear.

My goal is to finish my CFI. I've been studying off and on for two years. Its about time I wrap it up.

Paul

Fly to the Grand Canyon
Fly to the Bahamas
Oshkosh 2011
Fly more Pilotsnpaws missions
Help my daughter finish her IFR ticket
Make more flying videos
Get my commercial helicopter license
Fly my Helicycle

Install my new engine and get my plane back in the air in January
Pay off the credit card debt from the unexpected engine replacement
Solve my heavy wing problem so I can cruise hands off
Get comfortable enough with tailwheel landings to carry passengers other than my CFI friend
Fly my wife to the San Juan Islands
Take Bruce Swayze for a motivation ride
Fly at least 10 Young Eagles
Get some basic aerobatic instruction

Get some IFR recurrent traning from Scott Card when he finishes his CFII in my C180 'Paul Revere'

Last edited:
New goals ...

Because of another thread, I've decided to replace my yearning for world peace with another goal:

Fly on 1/1/11 (check), 1/11/11, 11/1/11 and 11/11/11.

World peace will just have to wait. :D

Back