What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is the RV-12 comfortable for taller pilot?

mikej959

I'm New Here
I'm just looking around at kits and the RV12 sound like the perfect plane for me but I have one concern. I'm 6' 2" and am wondering if the RV12 will accommodate a person my height comfortably?

Thanks, Mike

I am 6' 3" and have flown in the red prototype twice, with headset on, and have plenty of clearance. Before I committed to the '12 I researched this topic and was convinced I would be fine. Do a search in this forum, you will get at least one old thread that adresses this.

I'm 6'4" long legs, RV6 builder/flyer - got to fly an RV12 built by a fellow chapter member - found it more comfortable than my RV6. Seemed like more room, much better viz.

Keith, Milan IL

Two of the people working with me on the RV-12 are pretty large, and they had no problems when making airplane noises! One is 6'2" the other is 6'4" or so, and they both fit in comfortably at the same time with the seat backs at the forward position. I imagine it'll be better with the seats back.

My problem is actually the opposite. The rudders are a bit of a reach for me I think. I'm 5'9" and feel like i need to stretch to use the brakes.

I have not sat in one yet, but that was my concern too. I am only 5'7" but with short legs (28 in leg length in pants), I need to keep copies of rudder pedal estension mods. Can one move the seat back forward a ways easily?
No big deal I guess, I have been flying without using rudder pedals anyway. :)

Last edited:
The seat doesn't move very easily, though I guess after inspection you could move the hinge up a few sets to move it up.

I would suspect that you could just as easily have HDPE replacement pedals made that are significantly larger. Then it is just figuring out how to extend the brakes.

Tall pilots

I have 3 partners. The tall one is 6'2" and flies with the seat in the forward position as so I (5'8"). My daughter is 5'2" and has trouble. We put in forward hinge positions and she uses a cushion. No problem at all for any of us.

Rich

How high is high?

I had the pleasure of sitting in N6886D about two weeks ago. I am not 6'1" more like a long 5'8" :) . I found pleanty of cabin space in this completed RV12, the bubble canopy when closed provided a good amount of head space above a "ball cap" wearer. I think you could gain a tad amount of head space with the set pad. However, my experience was good also with the side to side cabin space. I felt my feet were in the right place for reaching the pedals, and the stick was in a great location.

The only down side to the RV12, is getting OUT! :eek:

There is really no place to hold on to getting up, you almost have to get out of it like a bath tub! I am sure a hand hold somewhere could make a difference.

Will be looking forward to a Flight when we get some good weather and time.

I do want to compare the RV12 to a S-19 before I start to build anything.

Back