What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual G5 + ForeFlight vs G3X

Looking at avionics upgrades for my RV7. I currently have dual Dynon D10 (with backup analogues), a 430W, a TruTrak Vizion, and my iPad with Foreflight that talks to the 430 via a Flightstream 210. I have an AF3000 for engine monitoring.

I’m going to swap out the TruTrak for the G3X AP, so all that’s left is to decide on is whether to swap the D10s for G5s, or do a whole panel upgrade to G3X. Would I be missing anything in terms of features with the G3X that I wouldn’t get with dual G5s + Foreflight? I’m happy pushing buttons on all the other units so the integration with the G3X isn’t a decision factor. Cost difference looks to be around $4k, not including the cost of a new panel (which I’m not wild about) or any of the engine monitoring bits (I’ll keep the AF3000 for now). Not sure how much I could get for all of the analogues that the G3X would replace but probably not more than $2k and I assume a new panel cutout would offset that.

I reckon I could put in G5s, see how I like it, and if I want more I can always sell one and put in a G3X since I’ll want a backup G5 anyway. Wouldn’t need to build a new panel if I went that route. Am I crazy for doing that instead of going straight into a full G3X glass?

Back