-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:50 PM

EGT's and CHT's run pretty close together..
Using 100LL and PHILLIPS 66 X/C 20W50..
Spark plugs indicate mixture on the rich side..
Did not perform a compression check so far..

The engine did not see any high power runs with cowling removed.
For certification I had to do a static thrust check on ground, but this was done with cowling on and CHT in view..

Today the cylinders were examined again with a high resolution/contrast borescope by a local A&P mechanic and an experienced forum member.

The bad news is they both agree that this is corrosion
The not so bad news, they both state its safe to fly, and check again in a few hours

Personally I find it hard to believe that a cylinder goes from shiny to corrosion in 3 months time while flying 25h..

On the other hand, there is also a chance that I loose weight. Its highly unlikely, but..
Fuselage, done
Flying since the 10th August 2020
Superior Airparts XP-IO-360
Whirwind 200RV
G3X

ATP, EMS on CL-650
Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM

Default engine dryer

Might want to think about an engine dryer - I use the Black Max. I did check the humidity reduction and it was pretty good. No idea really if it will save my engine from corrosion, but for the price, it's pretty cheap insurance. They have it in 220v as well as 110v. https://flyingsafer.com/2065

Most aircraft in my hangar have a battery charger, I have an engine dryer. Reminds me of the F-4 GPUs. I hook it up right after every flight, even if it's just for a lunch break. Check back in 20 years to see if it was worth it.

Last edited by rv8ch : 10-26-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:41 AM

Default Question about the dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Might want to think about an engine dryer - I use the Black Max. I did check the humidity reduction and it was pretty good. No idea really if it will save my engine from corrosion, but for the price, it's pretty cheap insurance. They have it in 220v as well as 110v. https://flyingsafer.com/2065

Most aircraft in my hangar have a battery charger, I have an engine dryer. Reminds me of the F-4 GPUs. I hook it up right after every flight, even if it's just for a lunch break. Check back in 20 years to see if it was worth it.
The dryer sounds interesting but on my installation, I believe that it is typical, the end of the crankcase breather is coped and fitted close to the engine exhaust header. Did you install the breather just exiting parallel to the engine exhaust to allow insertion of the dryer connection?
Victoria, TX
Old 10-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Default breather tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219PB View Post
The dryer sounds interesting but on my installation, I believe that it is typical, the end of the crankcase breather is coped and fitted close to the engine exhaust header. Did you install the breather just exiting parallel to the engine exhaust to allow insertion of the dryer connection?
I have my breather just above the exhaust pipe so it will drip onto the exhaust, and I have space to put the tube in it. The end is perpendicular to the exhaust. I could have made it a bit easier to install, and might change it in the future. Some put it in the filler cap, replacing it with a 3d printed cap with a hole. The problem with that is you need to find a good place to leave your dipstick.