What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Insurance

RJLEWISII

Does anyone have any good recommendations for insurance companies for the Harmon Rocket or the F1?
Thanks in advance, Rob

EAA has a program through Falcon Insurance. I have my -7 and J3 insured through them. I am very pleased with their rates and customer service.

HORRIBLE customer service at Falcon. I would give Gallagher a call if I were you. 10 years with Falcon and you could see the steady decline. Five minutes with Gallagher and it was a breath of fresh air. Never had a claim, but they obviously took my business for granted. Don’t expect ANY questions to be answered in a timely fashion (less than a week). I won’t mention names but I would definitely stay away from Falcon.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend Martha Christian at Falcon Insurance. GREAT customer service and the best price (yes better than other mentioned insurance company) and rock solid. Having said that, I've never had to file a claim and hope to never test that part of the policy.

Currently we have our -10 and our C-172 insured. Prior to adding the C-172 my partner was paying $1100/yr through Avemco. Now the same coverage is just above $400!

-Marc

Interesting to find such diverging opinions on Falcon. I have been dealing with Laura Scherer she's been great. Got my policy renewal the other day, and requested some changes, I had an updated policy in 10 minutes!

Interesting to find such diverging opinions on Falcon. I have been dealing with Laura Scherer she's been great. Got my policy renewal the other day, and requested some changes, I had an updated policy in 10 minutes!
Falcon has no problems doing renewals with no changes. They like your $$$$. I asked for a simple increase in liability coverage to $200k from $100k per passenger and a relocation of the plane to a grass strip. No problem “operating” in and out of grass strips but if it’s going to be “based” at one, it’s a whole different animal. You think I had asked to insure the next lunar lander. Started communicating with them over a month ahead of the renewal date and received zero response until their automated renewal notice arrived. They wanted their $$$ and were taking my business for granted. Called, e-mailed, left messages and still zero response but by golly I kept receiving their renewal notices still with no answers on the changes. That’s when I contacted Gallagher and Katie had answers for me in less than 30 minutes. Got a policy through them with the requested items and a different underwriter. Again, no claims ever and over 23k flight time. Maybe it’s just Falcon’s TX office but regardless, because of their inept agent I won’t be coming back anytime soon.

Last edited:
I?ve been using Ladd Gardner Aviation Insurance since day one with my Rocket. Ladd owns a Rocket and has been great to deal with.

Thanks all. I'll get quotes from them and report back. I got a quote from the company who insures my Christen Eagle and they were $5500 for a F1 and $3400 for a Harmon, each with hull of 150K. The RV8 of same value, (I know there aren't many at that price but I wanted to compare apples) came in at $1700. Big difference!
Thanks again for all of the input!
Rob

I had a negative experience with Falcon several years ago, so I won't go back to them. I've been working with Zach at Scott Sky Smith Insurance for many years (and several aircraft). They query multiple insurance carriers for their best rates, and do that for each renewal. For my first year there was only one insurance company (USSIC) who would cover my F1. For the last 2 years the best price has been USAIG for hull and liability, at about half of the original premium. So for my F1 at $140K hull the premium is $2195. Be careful about requesting quotes through multiple sources. If one agent gets quotes from several carriers, another agent will require you to sign agent change forms to do the same.

I have been dealing with Harvest Jones at Falcon for the past several years. Most always speak with someone on the first call. Maybe had to wait for an hour or two for a call back if they were busy. Just changed my coverage from a builder policy to a flying one. Very smooth experience. My premium for $100K hull is $1150. I was expecting it to have been more.

I had a negative experience with Falcon several years ago, so I won't go back to them. I've been working with Zach at Scott Sky Smith Insurance for many years (and several aircraft). They query multiple insurance carriers for their best rates, and do that for each renewal.

Same here, been a customer of SkySmith for twenty years and multiple aircraft. The carrier with the best rates for my RV-6 for the past few years has been Global.

Thanks all. I'll get quotes from them and report back. I got a quote from the company who insures my Christen Eagle and they were $5500 for a F1 and $3400 for a Harmon, each with hull of 150K. The RV8 of same value, (I know there aren't many at that price but I wanted to compare apples) came in at $1700. Big difference!
Thanks again for all of the input!
Rob

I am curious how the 150 K RV8 compares to a 500K Extra 300. and the Eagle Just for entertainment.

F1 insurance

I?ve been using Lad Garner for my F1 and all my previous experimental airplanes. Give Michele Friday a call. I believe my rocket policy is 140k @ 2500.00 per year. Great people to work with.

I am a 77 year young pilot, just got my RV8 renewal quote from "Global Aerospace" thru "Aviation Insurance Resources" ask for Jon Shimer. Excellent service.

I am curious how the 150 K RV8 compares to a 500K Extra 300. and the Eagle Just for entertainment.
I can imagine the Extra is pricey! The Eagle is $1800/yr for 80K hull for me with 300 hrs in type. The RV-8 is probably 1/2?? 150K hull on RV8 for me was 16-1700/yr.

insurance

thumbs up to falcon insurance.
not so good at skysmith.
and Gallagher insurance a definate thumb down,a flight review with a certified CFI every 6 months if you are over 80 yo? and highest rates of the 3 insurance agency's?

Fellow RV owners:
1. Falcon, Skysmith, Gallagher, are all agencies. They do not write the actual policies, they do not set the prerequisites. They provide service.
2. Some actual insurance companies have a policy of issuing only one quote on a given airplane. So, if you go to, say, Falcon first, this company will not respond to subsequent inquiries from Skysmith (unless you submit formal paperwork, severing any ties to Falcon). If this company happens to offer the best rates, then Skysmith will not be able to match them.
3. You are generally best off picking a good agency, and sticking with them. When they find out that they?ve been pre-empted by another agency, they lose incentive to work for you.
Story: Some years ago I received my quote from Gallagher (pre name change). Others here on VAF were saying they got better rates from company X. I called Jenny and asked. She said, in their professional opinion, company X did not meet their financial standards, and she would not recommend them. Eight months later company X folded, and left their policy holders scrambling to get coverage. IMHO this is the kind of knowledge and service you should be looking for in a broker.

Cheap Insurance...

Does anyone have any good recommendations for insurance companies for the Harmon Rocket or the F1?
Thanks in advance, Rob

Rob,
I shopped around for insurance for my HR2 back in 2005. I received quotes from various and sundry agencies, my best quote from a company that is no longer in business. With less than 200 flying Rockets in existence and numerous taxi/landing incidents, premiums are much higher than RV's. There is safety or in this case lower costs in numbers. My annual Rocket premium quote (then) was $2500 (exactly twice my RV4). My HR2 was an early one and the data plate actually read RV4 since the original Rockets were in fact modified RV4 kits. When I informed the agent of this the new quote was $1200 full hull coverage.

I now use Avemco as they fully matched or exceeded any company quote I received (including Falcon) and have a good history and record in the industry.

V/R
Smokey

PS: Rocket vs RV4? Twice the cost, twice the fuel burn, four times the grin..:)

Last edited:
Just renewed my policy after a 3 year rebuild. Given all the talk of skyrocketing rates I was expecting the worst. Given that, I'm:

PP-SEL
1300 TT
900 TW
340 MM

$700 Liability only
I've been with Denise Leskovsky at Crest for a few years and been happy. She got me the above from USSIC

Back