What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step bolt access

Machsandy

We have a wee bit of play on our left step and I believe this may ba a common issue.

How do people access the bolt to replace or bush on a completed aeroplane?

We have a wee bit of play on our left step and I believe this may ba a common issue.

How do people access the bolt to replace or bush on a completed aeroplane?

I intentionally cut 3/4" or thereabouts holes in the floorboards and belly of the airplane in anticipation of this issue. Snap plugs close the holes and my trusted factory resource saw no challenge with that approach.

Should be an easy mod to retrofit if you can get measurements for where to drill. I'd measure mine, but am out of town for a few days.

Thanks Kyle that sounds a very sensible approach. Sadly, I am guessing that here in the UK that would require a modification approval from our regulator, the Light Aircraft Association?

However it may be an option?

Thanks Kyle that sounds a very sensible approach. Sadly, I am guessing that here in the UK that would require a modification approval from our regulator, the Light Aircraft Association?

However it may be an option?

Not that I'm a big rule breaker, but that one wouldn't exactly jump out at most inspectors.

Where are you in England, out of curiosity? I'm posting from London right now.

It?s actually described in the instructions as a way for access. So you might not need any additional inspections.

step wobble

I'm about to install my floor panels and heard about this happening. I ordered (and received quickly) 2 "step bushings" from TCW Technologies. A friend of mine installed them and says they're great. He also installed an access panel in the floor and a small hole under the fuselage, to access later if needed to tighten. I plan to do the same.

Floor Panel

I added a small floor panel over the bolt.
It gives access for install/tightening of the step bolts as well as the com antenna installed in the same left and right bays.

I added a small floor panel over the bolt.
It gives access for install/tightening of the step bolts as well as the com antenna installed in the same left and right bays.

I did the same with a opening large enough to get both wrenches in there. I used quite a few CS pull rivets, so it should easily hold the loads placed on the floor with cargo.

Larry

inspection panel parts VA-195C/D

I used one inspection panel supplied in the kit since I did not install the wing stall-warning indicator. They are cheap and easy to install in the baggage area with lots of room for wrenches, and can all be done with solid rivets and squeezer (nothing against CS rivets, but solid if I can). Also is great access to the area for wiring too, like an ELT antenna or......... Always good just in case you do need to do something in that area, great your looking ahead!

Cheers, Mike

I used one inspection panel supplied in the kit since I did not install the wing stall-warning indicator. They are cheap and easy to install in the baggage area with lots of room for wrenches, and can all be done with solid rivets and squeezer (nothing against CS rivets, but solid if I can). Also is great access to the area for wiring too, like an ELT antenna or......... Always good just in case you do need to do something in that area, great your looking ahead!

Cheers, Mike

I figure the Engineering is solid. The whole baggage floor is held on with pull rivets, so I assumed they were adequate for the load back there.

Larry

Thanks for all of your help! That is good advice Doc, sadly the builder didn?t drill all the way through to the floor and skins as suggested in the plans so Kyle, if you are back from Blighty then if you could send the measurements that would be a big help in minimising the number of random holes we need to drill!

Thanks Scott we are going to order the bushings from TCW before we start making holes.

Thanks again your expertise is hugely appreciated

Sandy

CS rivets are indeed fine

Nothing at all against CS, cherrymax. and alike when used or needed, it was just a personal preference that has been passed on to me by some old mechanics that I have had the pleasure to work with over the years. I did not mean to imply CS rivets should not be used in the baggage compartment. My comment was not meant to be a criticism, my apology.

Cheers & happy building/flying, Mike

...so Kyle, if you are back from Blighty then if you could send the measurements that would be a big help in minimising the number of random holes we need to drill!

Sandy

OK, these measurements are from my airplane, but I assume that due to the matched hole construction, the variation shouldn't be much from plane to plane.

The step bolt access holes in the belly are located:

• 2 1/16" aft of the edge of the F-1076 belly skin.
  • 1/2" inboard of the edge of the F-1070 side skin (where it is rolled to the belly of the airplane).

The step bolt access holes in the baggage compartment are located:

• 3 5/16" aft of the centerline of the row of rivets which secures the piano hinges for the rear seats.
  • 8 11/16" outboard of the rivet line where the F1020 ribs attach to the baggage compartment floor.

Before I drilled anything, I'd very carefully eyeball the proposed location of the holes against the physical location of the steps just to make sure the locations I provided make sense.

After that, I'd drill each of the holes to 1/8" first, then adjust the location with a file if necessary, and drill to final size. (The final size on mine is 5/8")

Back