What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newark, LaGuardia, JFK...all in an RV-8!

jonweisw

Well Known Member
Newark, LaGuardia, and Kennedy all in one flight…in an RV-8! The unfortunate circumstances of air travel in the country at the moment allowed for a unique opportunity. Is it possible I am the first to land an experimental at any or all of these airports?

https://youtu.be/LgppNdSEAag

aCT_iB1jHhcpzDRDoZJ7h1DoxRpsAk2gFxAVi8OxiN8sT4NpQpmUKkN19437jsPxeOW5lGxz0UyjHor6SEASoY7atYGWmq7lWc7Ysl75YdVKXJsjwchpSVsRWueFWQvGv9oZqjy9843aSk448krHmGURwxeLEVP1vr21FObgvv8V3aJW9QeZbqvMWGgJ94-Oahyv67bjJ62OlZsYC4qXK6C9i-5UNMkg6XuUPxYdwIQw26Bmht-nNylWoz-HKYPwOvdUmhR9lXwHR_oI7N2IDHQ280QLwYf7IyvKncVnymgZ4iafCFJj4nYU3sG9WXjcxNxMT-rxC6US3OHGrwDvQdeNKZ1YDzvanY4wzKUcCOopyx9KVYSkXDUjxroRRBVjZYG94BNyyk7OgntePixlRWZ7JVvRLc_agURainH6DIMuS4WBaVQxr95SlBlmZ_4wnzkJgmMeccpc-Utn0kL7bgJqfOoZJy14syqia58EkOd30H2OQq0FHMdxjBnMGNEjgMgfM2piuPQ9SDcnIiDjV6hilTn9lsVrBwC1P9Lm4Hge8kwF9HB3FdoqexqdPbk-VRUY4th5PDZ3XwX9onlY_KkoMBDGdMVoxR6mcmPQBZhpxuwA6MATX7WxlWnmVHqq-C18uBwgvvkXqTO8S9j3UN0S5xQDalrsIa6JpPBbhx6_3a527KErsPNlISQexR3MqOalTUFn8vCncnfgg9gXBVyt3c1CQQFbjOwEhJ-DC3p3v0jdRZFN8SY=w800-h713-no

The rest of my channel explores the use of a Piper Meridian as I travel the country with my band Eaglemania, the world’s greatest tribute to the Eagles. Each episode tries to document the aeronautical decision making that goes into using an airplane practically when you *have* to be somewhere.

Here’s the link to the channel if you’re interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9CTZjYXYBMCrKLCXdOaMqQ

Last edited:
I was going to fly into PHL, but the tower told me I would need to taxi over to the FBO to pay the $12 landing fee. The FBO has $250 in fees just to pay the $12 fee :( They have a ramp fee, a security fee, a facility fee, etc. etc.etc.

Yeah - tell me about it! My other plane is a Meridian and not long ago I had to go to BWI... $700 for 50 gallons of JetA and 6h on the ramp!! Anyway, hope you enjoyed the video.

BTW - Where's Vlad??? I'm surprised he hasn't tried this!

Last edited:
Back in the early ‘90’s, a friend was a controller at JFK. My partner and I would shoot touch and go’s and stop and go’s after 10pm. We were based next door at FRG, so it was a short hop. Eventually, he set us up to include LGA, in addition to JFK. Sadly, never got to EWR.

Exactly! I actually mention that in the video - that when I lived in NYC in the 90's I heard of people doing that. I actually got my PPL at Dulles, so I was itching to do it but never got the chance (surgical residency has a tendency to do things like that). Anyway, thanks for watching and check out the rest of the channel... I've been waiting forever to find a reason to introduce the channel to this group in a way that wasn't off topic.

New York Airports

Starting in Jan 1967 I did Princeton NJ to EWR and JFK multiple times a day. We parked at an American gate at JFK. One day I did that from 7 am to. 11 pm with just a couple of short breaks to eat. LGA flights a while later. Piper Apache, Aztec and Beech 18. No landing fees, no Bravo airspace. Special VFR in horrid weather. Much more recently I flew a Stearman out of Islip for two weeks including several night flights.

Great video under strange times. I have the same panel setup/layout in my RV-8...including the extended side panels...love it. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all! I have a channel on YouTube called Life in the Fast Lane which is all about using a Piper Meridian to fly around the country with my band, Eaglemania (I'm the drummer). It is all about weather analysis, aeronautical decision making and planning, and flight execution, as well as some tidbits about the band and the venues we play at etc. I have been a member here for a long time and I have been waiting forever to make a LIFL video using the RV that I could post here to clue everyone into the channel.

Anyway, if you like that video, there's a lot more at

You all are THE BEST!
Jon

Last edited:
Great vid!

I suspect the Port Authority will be sending a bill for that LGA landing. ;)

Last edited:
I have been wondering about the same into O'Hare on a clear evening , but the plane is at paint shop!!

Nicely done!!

As I say at the end of the video, all you have to do is ask! The worst that happens is that they say no.

We should get a compilation of videos of RV's landing at the top 10 class B airports in the US!!!

Hey John, been a long time since our paths crossed.
Great video, great channel. Nice to see someone do a series showing the utility of GA, planning and executing the flights in a very professional manor.

Even great music, I saw the Eagles at Bethel Woods during the "History" tour, my second favorite concert, right behind McCartney!

Scott
N733JJ

Thanks! I think the channel has something for everyone from the standpoint of planning, strategy, execution, and ADM. But I have been reluctant to share it here because I filmed all the other installments in my Meridian. I was so excited to post this one because it was the first time I introduced the RV to the channel (if you watch any of the episodes, you'll see why) and I am hoping that the RV community can get something out of it.

Anyway, PLEASE stay safe and healthy!

New York video

Never been to NYC. Super video. Did you, or will you, incur any fee for the touch and go?

A long time ago

Way back when, I used to take my commercial students on a “simulated charter flight” something they may well encounter in the real world. The “trip was into BOS (Lansing fee was only $5 for a C-172) because most had never been to a TCA (now class B) airport. From BOS we went to 9B1, Marlboro (now closed), 1600’ from fence to trees. While BOS never presented much of a challenge, they learned to be professional, navigate on the ground of a large airport. Marlboro was a different story, no student ever landed on their first approach.

The “trip” was generally done on a Sunday morning when traffic wasn’t horrendous but it was busy enough to present a learning experience.

Yes, I was called a few names by my students. ��
Took a Mooney into LGA on a charter once, was impressed how they fit me in quick and smoothly as could be.
Took my RV into Montreal once, a pleasant experience until the letter from the FAA showed up in my mailbox but that is another story.

Wow. I have been flying in and out of a lot of Class B airports in my Meridian lately (IAD, BWI, Toronto, etc. - see channel) and I actually got my PPL at Dulles in the early nineties (when Dulles was a lot sleepier than it is now). All of that definitely helped here. If one had never had the experience of dealing with and approach controller or a class B tower I suspect that the prospect of doing this would be much more daunting.

Thanks for watching!

Great video Jon!

I operate in and out of all three of those airports for the ?fun ticket? inflow part of my aviation pursuits. Usually not that much ?fun.? I would love to do that in the 8! Something tells me you may be one of the few, if not the only RV8 pilot to ever pull that off. Awesome!

Awesome!

Awesome Vid Jon!

Thanks for sharing that. Having grown up in NY It is absolutely surreal to see that airspace so barren. Super cool plan and execution. I'll be checking out your channel for sure.

I have been wondering about the same into O'Hare on a clear evening , but the plane is at paint shop!!

Nicely done!!

Was out flying yesterday. Hanger neighbor did a low approach over 27C on his way back to Schaumburg. Tracon did let him in, but balked at the T&G request. This was middle of the day. Traffic at ORD is REALLY light. I believe he circled over the lake until he saw a break in the incoming traffic (via ADSb), then called up with the request.

I would be afraid of landing, due to the crazy fees.

Larry

Last edited:
For 20 years I flew from my grass strip in Vermont to lake wood airport in NJ to visit and care for my mother in law. Many times going down the Hudson or over the top of the class B NY controllers are the best. Great video am jealous.

Thank you all!

No landing fees/bills in the mail, but I wouldn't expect anything for a while. Will keep you posted.

We should get a list of all the Class B airports (excluding DCA) and then compile a video of an RV landing at each!

Thoughts?

Jon

Great video Jon!

I was based at JFK for a year in the late 90's. One day while taxing out we watched a BA Concorde abort on 31L. Quite a site seeing that long pointy nose in front of a big cloud of smoke screeching to a halt right in front of us!

The Canarsie approach to 13L was always fun, as it was usually less than stellar weather and with a right crosswind (typical), the mechanical turbulence from the buildings in the terminal area would hit you right about the point you were trying to flare!

Good-times, if only the airways around those airports could talk!

Thanks for the great memory refresh,

Mark

I was going to fly into PHL, but the tower told me I would need to taxi over to the FBO to pay the $12 landing fee. The FBO has $250 in fees just to pay the $12 fee :( They have a ramp fee, a security fee, a facility fee, etc. etc.etc.

I fly into PHL on occasion, the landing fee is $12, and Atlantic Aviation treats me well. The ramp fee is $50, but they waive it if you buy 10 gals. of fuel.

Last edited:
Back in 1972 I flew my 182 into National(Reagan) a few times. Once to go to the Smithsonian and another time for a booze run. Ah, those were the days! Flying is sure different now! It was a nice cross country from PIT.

Great video under strange times. I have the same panel setup/layout in my RV-8...including the extended side panels...love it. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Jeff,

Did you fabricate the extended side panels yourself? Would love to see a picture of the side panels, love the full Garmin as well, I'm looking to do the same thing as you with the help of SteinAir.

All the best,
Will

Back