Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Ask a controller... (in memory of Tony Kelly - tkatc)

Hey guys...I can't contribute much in the way of RVs (flying or building) but I have been bitten by the RV bug and have been reading the forums a lot.

Anyway, this forum seems to be one area where I can contribute. I am an FAA controller and have my private pilot license. I am not IFR rated so I can't give insight on that so much but I can give you the controller perspective on most issues dealing with air traffic.

Leave any questions you may have here or email me at TKATC@aol.com. No question is a dumb question...I train controllers too so I have seen plenty of misguided thought processes. Even if you just want to know WHY a controller did this or that.

My ATC opinion is NOT an official FAA recognized opinion, so any advice you get from me is ONLY an opinion.

Last edited by tkatc : 05-17-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Good post!

I make it a policy to talk to the controllers even when I'm passing controlled airspace but won't penetrate it. I do this so they know I'm there, know what my intentions are, and can provide traffic advisors. Some of the slower Class Delta controllers seem to be so board they are happy to have someone to talk to.

Besides, you might be asked to buzz the tower some time.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

I love VAF. Glad you are here!

Curious question... I seem to get cleared for a lot of (VFR) things. Typically when I know a request is somewhat annoying, short-notice, or quite optional -- I'll add "if able" to end, to help identify that I'm aware of this, and that it's OK/expected in advance that I might get a "no".

Is that helpful, or appreciated? Or just more extra words...?

Thanks!
-Rick Greer, VAF #2492
Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 AM

Default Welcome to VAF, Tony.....

....and if you're ever through the Augusta, Ga. neighborhood, let's go ride in my -10,

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15 Sold
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20 Sold
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM

DCat...the "if able" at the end of any request is not required. If the controller is busy then it is extra frequency congestion, but I think many of them would like that sort of politeness if they are not too busy. In fact, I think it might actually entice the controller to work a bit harder to accomadate your request.

Pierre, THANKS!!! I see your posts all over the place. You were a huge part of this site a few years back when I was on here and you are still just as active. Kudos!!

As far as the ride in your -10, I might take you up on that. I have the first 2 weeks in August off and I emailed Alex about some transition training. I think him and I would be a good mix because he is a controller as well but if he is busy or booked up I will seek alternate training and I understand you do that sort of thing?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM

i always wondered how I should "appropriately" ask this, but when I take friends and family for joyrides around the atlanta skyline, I remain clear of the bravo airspace by flying under it, but I usually call up approach and get on with them and get a code, just for traffic advisories

What is the appropriate phraseology for this? I've been saying vfr flight following for photography around atlanta- but I wondered if I could just say, "would like traffic advisories while remaining clear of bravo"

my instrument checkride is tomorrow, it's the VFR communications that i've gotten rusty on
Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Is there any regulation requiring a pilot to listen to the ATIS before contacting the tower? I know it is encouraged, but sometimes cumbersome for single radio airplanes.

thanks
Bruce Green
Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM

it should be a personal requirement, updated airport info including taxiway closures, runway closures, and weather conditions before landing- why wouldn't you want to know that?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM

Gimp...it sounds as though you already have a good method. But I think a good word to use in your case would be "circumnavigate" ie "Request advisories as I circumnavigate the class bravo"

Skybolt...the ATIS is there for a reason...in fact, several reasons. The controller providing approach control services to a controlled airport is REQUIRED to make sure you have the appropriate weather and runway in use before entering the pattern. So if you are unable to get the ATIS the controller will make sure you have the weather but they will not be happy about it. Also, as mentioned, the ATIS will provide a bit more than just weather and runway so it is just the smart thing to do even if it is a pain to dial it in. Many ATIS's broadcast on the VOR frequency so that should alleviate the need to switch RADIO frequencies, you can simply listen in on the NAV radio.

Last edited by tkatc : 06-18-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Smile

One more thing guys...this is NOT an official FAA approved forum so the advice you get here, while true to the best of my knowledge or opinion, should not be thought of as gospel. Please take it with a grain of salt. It is worth exactly what you paid for it. NOTHING!! : )