VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-31-2020, 02:34 PM

I know this post is way old but I'm confused about the topic. Is training in an experimental legal? VAN's doesn't even use the term training instead using transition.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:15 PM

As long as it is your airplane (at least not a rental) you can get training in it. Some CFIs get a LODA to be able to do transition training in their airplanes and can charge a rental fee.

RV-6A Tip-Up Bought Flying
Old 08-31-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSolar View Post
As long as it is your airplane (at least not a rental) you can get training in it. Some CFIs get a LODA to be able to do transition training in their airplanes and can charge a rental fee.
The above is substantially correct. The legal issue is that EAB aircraft may not be used for compensation or hire, e.g., an owner may not charge someone for the use of the airplane. As long as no compensation of any kind is involved for the airplane, it is legal to pay the cfi for instruction. As noted above, the owner (not necessarily the cfi) may apply for a waiver (“LODA”) to charge a fee for the use of the EAB airplane. These waivers are restricted to transition training only, where there is a bona fide need.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_RV4 View Post
Does anyone think that there are any PC based sims that are actually useful for training ? I know you couldn't log the time. But a good one might be helpful to do some practice.

John
I used FS-X for flying instrument approaches. Its a great "procedures" trainer. There's actually a couple of books out on "scenario based training" that used MSFS and XPlane. The book I used actually had lessons right in the book that went through holding, tracking navigational radios, precision and non-precision approaches.

The only downside is, with Xplane and MSFS, once you get a PC set up, the software installed and working correctly, its only a matter of time before either the operating system or graphics drivers get "updated" and it never works the same. I spent so much time trying to keep MSFS-X working with Windows 10, I finally gave up. Anyone need a yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals for a PC based sim?
Old 08-31-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
HOOD TIME: Don't Cheat. If you can see out the corner of your eyes you need to block this out with cardboard or something, as long as the safety pilots view is not compromised. The military had true hoods that where tents that cover the whole cockpit. When you fly into IMC you will not be able to cheat.
Instrument flight training at night over sparsely settled areas greatly reduces the ability to cheat. I did most of my multi-engine instrument rating at night over Lake Superior. There was an ILS, RNAV and NDB approach that came in over the lake. Doing holds and procedure turns where any attempts to cheat were met with black sky, black lake, black everything was very good training.
Fuselage is "in the mail"
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV-8
Donation till September 2021
Old 09-01-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
Instrument flight training at night over sparsely settled areas greatly reduces the ability to cheat. I did most of my multi-engine instrument rating at night over Lake Superior. There was an ILS, RNAV and NDB approach that came in over the lake. Doing holds and procedure turns where any attempts to cheat were met with black sky, black lake, black everything was very good training.
+1

I found that I could see out a small corner in my 6, if I tried. It wasn't an obvious cue. I was able to resist the temptation to look at it, but it requires discipline. I did my training in the winter and over half of it was at night. Above is correct, even over populated areas. I suppose there is a subtle constant cue that you are not inverted, but it provided no horizon reference.

Larry
Old 09-01-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
+1
I suppose there is a subtle constant cue that you are not inverted, but it provided no horizon reference.

Larry
+1. As a cfii, I agree. A student’s performance is not enhanced by this ‘peek’, and, after a while, they figure out that it hurts more than helps. But, there is the psychology: the first time in IMC will feel different, and I’ve seen more than one good student’s performance go noticeably down hill when they first encounter actual.