Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbRVator View Post
So if I am interpreting your statement correctly youíd prefer redundancy in Nav AIDS over comís?
Iím not the poster but yes, absolutely. There are well established Ďlost comí procedures that every ifr pilot had to memorize at one time, and they work. Iíd rate, worst to least worse: loss of all attitude data, then loss of all nav data, then loss of com last.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:42 PM

I flew for years in a aircraft with poor stability, no autopilot, 1 radio and a tacan. The radio and tacan rarely worked well in the same aircraft. You evaluate the weather, equipment, fuel and currency when making any go, no go decision. Every flight is unique.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbRVator View Post
So if I am interpreting your statement correctly youíd prefer redundancy in Nav AIDS over comís?
Again, not the poster, but yes absolutely. You don't need comms to make a safe approach, but you need the nav. The IFR system already takes lost comms into account for every flight every day, there are procedures in place for that and they work.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Default 7600

I was going to respond but lost comms only momentarily thankfully and proceeded as filed with a successful landing.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:11 PM

I haven't done much of any instrument flying in my -6A yet. I got my instrument rating in a C172.

I just equipped my RV for WAAS, and it already had VOR/ILS. The VOR/ILS unit in the plane is a Val Nav 2000. It looks like you can get one new for $1300. It pairs to a glass cockpit rather nicely, I believe using the SL30 protocol. It's a simple and cheap addition to the stack. But if I was building from scratch I'd probably just use a 430W or GTN 650.

The differential cost would really pay for itself in resale value. It's a lot easier to sell a plane that you can take an IFR check ride in than one that's "technically" IFR.