Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-11-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloengineer View Post
I was just polling for feedback from GPS only aircraft owners as it relates to flight reviews. I guess worst case I have to rent the local 172 for reviews.
The content of an FAA Flight Review (nee BFR) is entirely at the discretion of the cfi. There is certainly no specific requirement to demonstrate ILS or VOR approaches. You should be fine in your aircraft.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:24 AM

I don’t know about the rules where you are. But in Europe if the destination is forecast to be IFR on arrival you must have an alternate that you are equipped to use by alternative means. If you are planning an RNAV approach. So in reality that means an ILS is most likely.

Last edited by tomww : 09-12-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomww View Post
I donít know about the rules where you are. But in Europe if the destination is forecast to be IFR on arrival you must have an alternate that you are equipped to use by alternative means. If you are planning an RNAV approach. So in reality that means an ILS is most likely.
With one exception (non-WAAS gps non-precision approach) this is not the case in the US, where you can legally fly ifr with a single gps.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:17 AM

Flying is all about having a plan B. What if? Back up com, backup Nav, closest vfr Wx etc. it is is no fun runnning out of options including gas. What is the cost of backup Nav. Be safe out there. Resale value is a thought also.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 09-12-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Flying is all about having a plan B. What if? Back up com, backup Nav, closest vfr Wx etc. it is is no fun runnning out of options including gas. What is the cost of backup Nav. Be safe out there. Resale value is a thought also.
I considered the GPS only option for my current build. I fly for fun, and even though I'm instrument rated, mostly will fly it VFR (I'll plan to get and maintain IFR currency) and even IFR would be the high minimums variety - mostly I'd use it to get on top and fly to good weather. But considering the need for back-up options, resale, and the issues with potential loss or degradation of GPS signals, having VHF makes sense. Price difference in the context of an entire airplane is relatively trivial. And who wants to be fumbling around with a handheld in IMC, trying to keep eyes on that and primary instruments as part of a scan?

Still makes sense to have the handlheld as a "3rd" option though, and wiring up an external antenna connection is probably worth the effort. (and we should never forget the PAR / surveillance radar options if it really hits the fan)

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 09-12-2020, 01:20 PM

G3X, GNX 375, and G5 only for met too. But I dont fly hard IFR in a single engine airplane. My setup allows me to shoot an LPV if I need too, but I wont launch without having an alternate that is VFR (1000/3). To each his own.
AUO
Old 09-12-2020, 05:12 PM

One thing to keep in mind when doing your IFR flight planning is to pick an alternate when conditions are less than 2000 and 3 miles For alternate purposes a RNA LPV approach using the GPS is a non-precision approach and the forecast needs to be 800 and 2 miles visibility versus 600 and 2. Marty
Old 09-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
The check ride question is one for your examiner. Some will likely not want to do a check ride without an ILS. But then again, some won't do a check ride in an experimental no matter how well it's equipped.

theres no way would I fly hard IFR to low minimums without the capability to do an ILS.

If you're doing vectors to final, Approach will vector you closer in on an ILS that they will on a GPS approach.
Good summary.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Contingency Plans

Weather changes.

About once a year in my day job, the weather takes an unforecasted turn for the worse and causes some real "pucker factor". A few years back, the forecast was 2000'/5sm, I showed up at my alternate to find 1/4sm. More recently what was supposed to be a beautiful 1000'/3sm turned into a missed approach at a 480' LNAV approach, divert to the alternate 40 miles away and 350' on the ILS.

My point being, additional capability means increased safety. Just because one doesn't see the need for ILS capability, doesn't mean an unexpected situation won't make it invaluable equipment.
Fuselage is "in the mail"
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV-8
Donation till September 2021
Old 09-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
Weather changes.

About once a year in my day job, the weather takes an unforecasted turn for the worse and causes some real "pucker factor". A few years back, the forecast was 2000'/5sm, I showed up at my alternate to find 1/4sm. More recently what was supposed to be a beautiful 1000'/3sm turned into a missed approach at a 480' LNAV approach, divert to the alternate 40 miles away and 350' on the ILS.

My point being, additional capability means increased safety. Just because one doesn't see the need for ILS capability, doesn't mean an unexpected situation won't make it invaluable equipment.
Yep, like that. Every instrument pilot I know (at least 2 in my household) loads every radio and nav solution with at least something. Sure, we're going to fly the LPV with the easy button, but... Going into a bigger airport, it will probably be a lot easier and quicker to get vectors onto the ILS (what they're probably going to prefer), hey, there is a VOR approach here. Might as well have that loaded up. Load it every which way you can. I've just recently started adding the onboard consumer devices (foreflight) to that mix. I'm not comfortable calling the consumer device in my pocket a proper navigation solution. But there was a day in the west Texas desert a decade or so ago that it would have been very handy in a 172RG.

I know good friends that fly VFR without any VHF nav at all, but I certainly can't imagine it IFR today. We come off of our uncontrolled field often enough with no option to return, but we're right under the 250' LPV to the airport 7mi away. If that doesn't work, it is direct the ILS at the local class C.

I guess geography and expectations factor in. Geography is pretty static if you're in a cub, but expectations change all the time. Oh, and I think there was a time that I might have uttered the words "light IFR", but I claim to not remember them. As my "wisdom" fills in, there have been enough times that we show up to nowhere near as expected weather. As the skills and equipment application meter passes 75%, the "light ifr" conversations go off in your head like a big master caution warning light.

In our household, single pilot IFR in the RV is pretty much, "there might be a cloud between here and there. The front is right over there with the clear line behind... IFR flight." "Ok, have fun hunny." Otherwise, neither of us is launching into it without the SIC onboard.

I suspect not too many people know the experience of sitting on the porch watching the airplane you built in the garage disappear into the clouds on climbout with the most important part of your existence in command. OR, sitting on the ramp at the closest airport with an ILS, and see your airplane with the same come into view with wigwags flashing on a really crappy day, just sliding down that VHF like there is nothing to see here. The occupants popping out happy, "That was a hoot, the easiest approach ever, it was only like 200' thick!" "Where are we going for lunch!?" (heart pounding, ****, that looked very ugly down here.)

I digress. Install a VHF nav radio if you have any intent of flying IFR.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 09-14-2020 at 06:01 AM.