What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to fly in Southern California

Lemos

I am likely to be an RV owner within the next month or two. I will likely base my aircraft in Ramona or Borrego Springs (Ramona, if I can get a hangar). Where are fun places to fly in Southern California to meet other RV owners? Are there any airports where it's usual to find RV owners with their hangar doors open? Places to go to find some good food?

Looking to turn AvGas into friendship and food!

Santa Paula as an interesting mix of aircraft and personalities along with cheap fuel. I’m at Santa Ynez, with great local scenery, food, and wineries.

Erich

Agua caliente is pretty close to you and lots of fun (pre covid). Not sure if the pools are back open, but you can park your airplane and walk to the hot spring pools. It's lots of fun.

Good food at:
Hemet
Corona (aircraft spruce, too)
Cable
Flabob
Montgomery
Palomar
French Valley
Fullerton
Catalina
Big Bear
Gillespie
Chino
Camarillo
Santa Paula
Mojave
Lunch at EAA #14 at Brown (when it starts up again).

Food within a short walking distance:
Torrance
Tehachapi
Santa Barbara
Oceano

With an RV, you can go quite a bit further (like AZ or NV).

Agua caliente is pretty close to you and lots of fun (pre covid). Not sure if the pools are back open, but you can park your airplane and walk to the hot spring pools. It's lots of fun.

Which airport are you referencing? Cant seem to find one close.

Thanks

Kern Valley

KL05 had great burgers and decent camping facilities right near the runway. Not sure if the restaurant is open these days. Airport is just a bit challenging (not a lot challenging, one way in, one way out) and sometimes its turbulent. Pay attention and you’ll be fine. My favorite $100 burger.

There's so many fun places to fly to in CA. Depends on what you're looking for. Day trip, lunch run, fuel run, a longer overnight/ several night trip?

Our favorite short day trips include Santa Barbara (we were just there today). Get a crew car and you have lots of great seafood restaurants, many right on the beach to chose from. The Beachside Bar and Cafe is excellent and just a few minutes from the airport at Goleta Beach. They'll drop you off and pick you up if crew car is out.

Montgomery Field is great too. Get a crew car for lunch and then hang out at Torrey Pines Gliderport to watch the hang gliders/ paragliders/ RC gliders. Or go down to La Jolla Beach.

Tehachipi is great and has lots of restaurants within walking distance.

In the Fall we like to fly up to Bishop or Mammoth to watch the fall colors.

And one of my favorite "local" flights is Catalina Island. My usual routine is aerobatics along the coast, then fly out to Catalina for a lap around the island, then a hike on the island. The food there is ok, but not great in my opinion.

So many more to list. Bruce's list is very good. Go by that.

If you wanna stop by Compton, I'm there almost every Sunday and Monday, and every other Wednesday. A couple of RV4s and one newly completed RV8 here. Lots of restaurants near here in Gardena and Torrance and surrounding area.

Back