What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked Windshield

pk6263

Found cracks in windshield before gluing it in. Looking to see if anyone has the front part of the bubble that they would be willing to part with?

I have the front of a 9 slider. If you can determine it is the same, let me know and I can send you pics.

Found cracks in windshield before gluing it in. Looking to see if anyone has the front part of the bubble that they would be willing to part with?

I presume that when you say you are “gluing it in” that you are using the Sikaflex process. Did you get the cracks before or after you applied the black primer.

Cracks showed up around nearly every screw before any sikaflex was applied. Followed the directions exactly. Quit for the day and next am found the cracks as we removed windshield. Cracks appeared overnight.

Cracks showed up around nearly every screw before any sikaflex was applied. Followed the directions exactly. Quit for the day and next am found the cracks as we removed windshield. Cracks appeared overnight.

I must admit I’m a bit confused here. When you say you were following the directions exactly....whose directions??? I built an RV7A and I’m not aware that Vans directions call for Sikaflex.

The reason I asked about the primer is because the Sikaflex 209 black primer that many builders use if they are going the Sikaflex route is high in solvents that can attack the acrylic and potentially cause stress cracking in areas of the acrylic where there are microscopic fabrication discontinuities eg. at holes or along edges. Locktite will also attack the acrylic in a very bad way for the same reason.

Last edited:
Back