What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squeezer of Bucking Bar?

RV701775

I have been closing up the rudder and riveting around the edges but I am having trouble keeping the rivet heads from tipping with the squeezer. When I rivet with the bucking bar, I get a perfect rivet head. Any suggestions how to get consistent results with the squeezer? Or should I just stick to the bucking bar? I have a standard squeezer and a main squeezer.

It's important to have the proper alignment. I find that I get the best results when I keep the rivet shop head in the exact middle of the flat set.

First step for me is to set the rivet in the center of the set, whether flat or 470. If it's flat make sure that the whole surface is contacting the material. If it's a cupped set then make sure that it's on the rivet and centered properly.

Next look around to the back where the shop head will be. Make sure that the rivet is in the exact center. Verify flat and aligned on the other side and squeeze slowly.

This sounds more difficult than it is. The important thing is to maintain alignment all the way thru the squeeze.

Yoke

Use the smallest yoke possible. Bigger yoke can spread a little and cause a clinched rivet. I prefer gun/bar but a string of rivets all the same is easier with a pneumatic.

Back