What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to replace Van's tailwheel?

R

Rutus

My second annual inspection is due soon, at about 135 hours TTAF (I know, I know - gotta fly more). I have about 225 landings on it, some of them smooth and (ahem) some not, and almost all on pavement.

The original Van's tailwheel appears to be in pretty good shape, with fairly even wear, except that I see what appears to be a slight crack or discontinuity in the rubber, running all the way around the circumference and right at the centerline of the "tread" - almost like what you would see if there were a seam joining two halves of the tire.

Is this normal? A hazard? I cannot tell how deep it goes, or whether it is a problem or not, and am wondering if it is safest just to toss the old one and swap a new one in during the annual. :confused:

Aw, c'mon guys, people looking at this post but no suggestions? Can I be the only guy with "tailwheel crack syndrome" ?? (Sounds like some kinda bad sex & drug addiction..... ) :eek:

Sam Buchanan said:
It the tailwheel condition bothers you..........replace it.
If memory serves, the tailwheel does have a molded appearance with a seam in the middle. Mine have never had the appearance of separation but as Sam says!

Peace of mind - cheap

Rutus said:
Aw, c'mon guys, people looking at this post but no suggestions? Can I be the only guy with "tailwheel crack syndrome" ?? (Sounds like some kinda bad sex & drug addiction..... ) :eek:

$32.00 for a new tailwheel is cheap for some peace of mind. Try finding a bargain like that anywhere else in aviation.

Chris
;)

Vans tailwheel diameter is down to 5 1/8" from 6" and ground clearance to the leading edge of the Vans fork is 1 7/16". Rubber is still good but I'm thinking its time to replace. 200hr/500 landings 99% on pavement. I have a new Vans tailwheel on the shelf and am considering getting a Doug Bell fork. I'm not interested in changing from chains to direct link. Will the Bell fork take a Vans tailwheel?

Tailwheel 200hr,450 ldgs.jpg

Is it time?

... Will the Bell fork take a Vans tailwheel?

View attachment 2682

Is it time?

Yes, it will. I have the Doug Bell fork and used the Van's wheel on it for some time without issue.

I have switched to the Lightweight Tailwheel from Flyboy Accessories ($120). This is more expensive than Van's but I'll tell you it is much lighter and has more cushion when letting the tail down, i.e. it is a much smoother wheel.

Chris

Yes, it will. I have the Doug Bell fork and used the Van's wheel on it for some time without issue.

I have switched to the Lightweight Tailwheel from Flyboy Accessories ($120). This is more expensive than Van's but I'll tell you it is much lighter and has more cushion when letting the tail down, i.e. it is a much smoother wheel.

Chris

Also sealed bearings so no need to grease.

Vans tailwheel diameter is down to 5 1/8" from 6" and ground clearance to the leading edge of the Vans fork is 1 7/16". Rubber is still good but I'm thinking its time to replace.

Is it time?

That's time as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, having a big "flat" on the bottom of the wheel makes ground steering much less responsive. A new tire with a round profile steers so much more easily. Handles bumps better too.

That's time as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, having a big "flat" on the bottom of the wheel makes ground steering much less responsive. A new tire with a round profile steers so much more easily. Handles bumps better too.

I wonder what that might say about the lightweight wheel, which starts as basically a square profile?

I've been through 3 or 4 of the standard tailwheels in 1500 hrs, never really noticed a difference in handling but never paid much attention to it either. My biggest issue is keeping that swivel mechanism lubed up and moving freely.

Seized my tailwheel bearings today!

The bearings that come in the Vans tailwheel are "sealed" in such a manner that they can't be greased. The grease fitting on the wheel is just for looks.... ;)

Coincidence of all coincidences, I just seized my first tailwheel bearing today doing stop&gos. Noticed it feeling a bit funny on rollout. Sheared one side of the cone/race and lost the marbles on that side.

I too have understood that the zerks fitting was just for show on Van's standard tailwheel and therefore making it essentially maintenance free. Is there any maintenance I should have been doing on it?

FWIW, I got about 600 hours and probably a 800-1000 landings. I guess it was just time (or over-time!) based on a couple posts from above.

I use the Flyboys Deluxe TW tire. Bearings are sealed and it is lighter weight than the Vans TW. I have 450 hrs with about 600 landings almost all on asphalt. Still runs smooth with little wear so far. Never really noticed a difference in steering between it and the Vans but it did seem to feel smoother and quieter. I put this type on my 4 to replace the worn down Vans wheel with the same result. Will buy another when this one wears out.

Coincidence of all coincidences, I just seized my first tailwheel bearing today doing stop&gos. Noticed it feeling a bit funny on rollout. Sheared one side of the cone/race and lost the marbles on that side.

I too have understood that the zerks fitting was just for show on Van's standard tailwheel and therefore making it essentially maintenance free. Is there any maintenance I should have been doing on it?

FWIW, I got about 600 hours and probably a 800-1000 landings. I guess it was just time (or over-time!) based on a couple posts from above.

If the tail wheel rubber still has service life, replace the bearings when they start getting noisy when you spin the wheel. Vans has them at low price.

Sealed unit

Shameless plug for my JD Air Parts, dual bearing yoke assembly. This will work with any of the aftermarket forks. Our fork lifts the tail an additional inch, providing better over the nose visibility and protections from those pesky recessed tie down holes.

We have the yokes in white and black for all of the RV's including the 14. In stock and ready to ship.

Some of the satisfied customers include Danny King and Dan Horton.

Back