What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto-Conversion to Lycoming transition

Hendoii

I'm New Here
All,
I purchased my 8 from a mentor of mine that did a wonderful job building the plane with a Mazda Rotary. Unfortunately, he has gone west and I am discovering I enjoy "working out the bugs" on the auto conversion less than he did and flying more. Consequently, I have made the decision that it's time to bolt an IO-360 on.

That said, I am a bit overwhelmed by the endless possibilities and the confusing Lycoming naming nomenclature. I think I have deduced that I want fuel injected, angle valve, but past that I am in uncharted territory. Can anyone shed some light on the best, engine, motor mount and cowling combinations? I have a three blade electric MT prop that I love and would like to run on my new motor if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5...jdeSFKkHpH4cqb0K4_1x0Sd5lhX3oVB4=w711-h947-no

Last edited:
new motor

...That said, I am a bit overwhelmed by the endless possibilities and the confusing Lycoming naming nomenclature. I think I have deduced that I want fuel injected, angle valve, but past that I am in uncharted territory. Can anyone shed some light on the best, engine, motor mount and cowling combinations? I have a three blade electric MT prop that I love and would like to run on my new motor if possible. ...
If you enjoy tinkering and building, then surf the forums for a while to see what others have suggested, pull together the best components. It will take some time, and some effort to make it all work together. Not crazy effort, like an auto conversion, but some work.

If you just want to get back in the air quickly with a very solid, high performance engine, just buy exactly what Van's sells. It's very good, and will go together very quickly, and when something does not work exactly right, there are hundreds of people that can help you.

Best of luck - been there, done that! :D

Consider the 180hp parallel valve IO-360 over the 200hp angle head version. With a good CS prop I find it to be a perfect match for the RV-8.

If your priority is a fire breathing engine to challenge time to climb numbers, then never mind.

Stock Van?s cowl is fine. I prefer the flat belly (horizontal injection engine) set up. The stock Van?s engine mount is really the only practical way to go.

The James Cowl for the RV-8 is a nice option. It does require a prop spacer for the RV-8 (gets the lines right) so don?t know if that is a problem with your electric prop or not). I know of one Lancair O-320 that ran an MT electric prop with a prop spacer so perhaps this is not an issue.

Carl

Another option

If you are looking for something in the 200 hp range, check out the parallel valve Titan IO-370. It's the same dimensions as an IO-360 mentioned above.

Last year, I swapped my 180 hp O-360 for the high compression Titan IO-370 spec'd at 195 hp. I can definitely tell a big difference with the new engine.

I also went simple on the ignition - dual Bendix mags. After going through about 6 different ignition configurations on the O-360, I decided that my brother had the right idea going with dual Bendix mags (we both installed new engines at the same time last year).

The engine runs like a top:)

. . .
If you just want to get back in the air quickly with a very solid, high performance engine, just buy exactly what Van's sells. It's very good, and will go together very quickly, and when something does not work exactly right, there are hundreds of people that can help you.

Best of luck - been there, done that! :D

+1

The Vans FWF kits are intended to fit the Vans supplied engines. If you want the ?easiest? refit go with that. I have a Continental Titan engine which I love (and would gladly buy again) but because the sump and cylinders are different than the ones on the Vans supplied engines, the install was a bit longer.

Back