What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 #74771

Lefty37

Hi,

I've just accepted delivery of my RV-7 empennage kit. I'm a first time builder, and new to VAF. So I still have a lot to learn. A couple of weeks ago, my garage was bare. Now its full of work benches, tools, an air compressor (thanks for all the great advice) and two large boxes. I'm planning on a slow build, tail dragger, with a slider cockpit. As for a lot of the other details, like much of the project, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, and then change my mind. So I'll be happy to accept all the advice offered. I also live in the North East outside of Boston, so if there are any other builders in the local area. I'd love to stop by and ask you about 1,000,000 questions. Build and fly safe.

Thanks!

Welcome Nate! Nice to see another build in the North East. Dig through VAF archives there is an enormous knowledge base here. Mark other builders' websites. Ask here. Questions like which primer to use, how to drill out a rivet, should I replace this or that, sand or deburr etc will always trigger a great conversation.

There is a good contingent of builders in your area. Some of them are lurking here but many quietly build under the VAF radar. There are several fly ins near Boston they attract flying RVators and builders. Find them engage them great help and motivation.

You chose the right plane the right model. The learning curve will be very steep during the empennage build.It will somewhat level on the fuselage assembly then will climb again after you get Firewall Forward. If I can do it anybody can. Just do it you won't regret. :)

Hi Lefty, that's my airplane that the Russian put up a picture of. Shoot me a personal message and I will take you for a ride. Enjoy the build!

;) CJ

Thanks for the kind messages. I've begun working on the horizontal stab, so once I make some appreciable progress, I'll start posting pictures.

Rv7 build

Suggest you occasionally beg, borrow or steal rides in whatever RV you can find. Keeps the inertia going. If you ever find yourself in the Pac NW, I often fly with an underused right seat out of KPWT.

Can't believe its almost been a year now! My empennage is done, and I'm onto the wings. Currently working on the front and rear spars, will post pictures soon.

Back