What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet gauge?

Escott

I'm New Here
Hey everyone. Rookie question here. I set some rivets and upon checking them with the rivet gauge have some movement left to right (with the hole part of gauge used for head width). I adjusted the squeezer and squeezed them some more. However, I still have some play. I don’t want to squeeze them anymore because when I use the gauge to check the height I don’t have any room to go flatter without over driving (at least according to the gauge). This is somewhat maddening. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 020D8AA9-33C7-411D-BC24-7857040AAE8F.jpg
    020D8AA9-33C7-411D-BC24-7857040AAE8F.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 273
Rivet aren't perfect, the plans just pick the most correct rivet. You can have some minor deviation from "perfect". There is an article on here somewhere about setting rivets. If i recall correctly anywhere from 1.3 to 1.7 times the diameter is acceptable, with 1.5 being considered perfect. You're rivets look great.

Rivet spec

I second the post above. Notice also there is no max diam. The mil spec has a bit more flexibility for sizes of driven rivets. I have the above numbers for 1/8 and 3/32 rivets written on my work bench.
Ill bet those rivets in question measure more than .163 and are perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF

Elliott, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

One more thing, when you re-squeeze a rivet, it will not move as much due to work hardening.

It is best to recheck your squeezer adjustments with a fresh rivet.

Minimum diameter

What they ^ said. Also not mentioned. Pay attention to minimum diameter. I drilled my rivet gauges with a minimum diameter hole. As long as the rivet doesn't go in, I know it's ok.

If you look at the specs and measure the gauge. It basically works out that you have a bit of room for slightly wider or slightly shorter rivet than the gauge. So I try to make my rivets at least as big as the hole and at least as short as the notch.

Attachments

• Rivet specs.jpg
    Rivet specs.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 279
Notch

If you look at the specs and measure the gauge. It basically works out that you have a bit of room for slightly wider or slightly shorter rivet than the gauge. So I try to make my rivets at least as big as the hole and at least as short as the notch.

The gauges are all a little different. On mine, the notch is minimum thickness. I measured it. If the shop head fits under the notch, it's too flat (minimum thickness) and must be drilled out. Mine are designed to be passed over the shop head and should not slide past. Mine have a 1.5D hole. Lots of variations. I agree, measure the gauge and know. YMMV

First, find out the diameter of the holes in your gauge, if its the minimum or maximum alowed. The best thing to do is also make or buy a set of gauges with the holes at 1.3x the diameter and 1.5x the diameter. Now you have a go, no go set of gauges.

Hey everyone. Rookie question here. I set some rivets and upon checking them with the rivet gauge have some movement left to right (with the hole part of gauge used for head width). I adjusted the squeezer and squeezed them some more. However, I still have some play. I don’t want to squeeze them anymore because when I use the gauge to check the height I don’t have any room to go flatter without over driving (at least according to the gauge). This is somewhat maddening. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

Thank you all for the good info and quick responses. I’m going to measure the gauge and heads tomorrow, evaluate and go from there! Awesome community here. Thanks again!

Back