What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SAF-AIR quick drain

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Just bought two SAF-Air M12175 (Rotax) quick drains and installed them at first oil change. I tried to get the level on the Rotax correct and ended up pouring in 3 liters of oil in each engine (twin) . After first flight (next day) I checked the oil level and it's a bit high so I tried to drain a bit off by using the quick drains. Cannot get them to drain, I'm surprised as I have one in my RV and it works fine. Don't know if the ones for Rotax operate different. They do push up but only a few drops came out of one and nothing came out of the other. Wandering what I'm doing wrong as I doubt I got two broken ones?

Just a thought here....

Drains are in the oil tank, correct?

Did you remove the cap to vent the tank?

No I did not, I thought about it but I would think a little would come out. Can't be that simple, I will give it a try.
Thanks Mike

As I recall, there is an obstruction in the Rotax oil tank that prevents the quick drain from opening. I think there is a special quick drain required or adapter/spacer. Rotax may have changed the internal design of the tank somewhere along the way.

It might be best to ask this question in the RV-12 thread. I bet you get exact answer and quickly to boot...

Also, 3 liters of oil is correct for oil change. First burp engine before draining oil and then do not turn prop again until oil is replenished. 3 liters is correct if new oil filter is installed dry.

Last edited:
It is a potential issue with the newer design oil tank.

The old design tanks, the quick drains worked fine.

On the newer tanks, you have to use a spacer fitting that positions the quick drain lower so it doesn't interfere with the baffle in the bottom of the tank (though when this is the problem, I think it is noticeable that the drain wont move to the open position).

If you contact someone that deals in Rotax parts (like Lockwood Aviation) they will be aware of the problem.

WOW , you purchase a quick drain to fit the Rotax tank and pay extra for it and it doesn't work. I have clearance on one engine to install a spacer but not the other. I will contact Lockwood , Thanks

Back