What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Academy: GTNxi VNAV and G3X

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello VAF,

As part of our occasional G3X Academy series we would like to present a much-requested topic from the crowd. In this webinar we will cover the basics and operation of the GTN/GTNxi VNAV (Vertical Navigation) feature when paired with G3X Touch flight displays and Garmin experimental autopilot.

You can register for the event at the link below:

G3X Academy - GTNxi VNAV and Experimental Autopilot
Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:00 PM CDT at:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1711012023476609548

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Best Regards,

Brad

Brad,

I had signed up for the last webinar and then wasn't able to join it until it was almost over. I had hoped to find it available somewhere afterward but that appeared not to be the case. Now, I'm training this week at SimuFlite and cannot attend this one. Please tell me that the recorded webinars are archived somewhere.

I would much rather have Garmin produce training videos that customers can view online at their convenience, and review as often as they like. I am not a fan of real time webinars.

Hello,

If you register for the webinar, you will be able to use the registration link to go back and watch a recording of the presentation.

I have adjusted the settings to send a recorded presentation to all registrants. While multiple people are in charge of setting these up - not all get set the same way. I personally will make an effort to the VAF crowd to make the recordings sent/available after the presentations (but, registration is still required to access).

Thanks,

Brad

PS: Garmin Aviation training is beginning to place more effort in online training videos accessed on YouTube. While this effort is young, please continue to check back for additional content.

Last edited:
Brad, I was registered for the previous webinar ("...Latest Products..."). I never saw anything about being able to get access to the recording (which I would still like to see).

Brad, I was registered for the previous webinar ("...Latest Products..."). I never saw anything about being able to get access to the recording (which I would still like to see).

Hi Ray,

If you go back to your original webinar link to try to 're-join', it should take you to the recording.

Apologies these aren't consistent as we all set them up differently (I take the extra step for VAF webinars I am in charge of to make sure the recordings are sent/accessible).

BR,

Brad

You guys have some good videos on YouTube on wiring the Canbus network for the G3X. I recommend 'em for anyone wiring their own panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmVLVhGoGQs&t=9s

Good video for the basics but out of date on running the CAN BUS daisy chain.

These videos show looping the shield ground from cable to cable. Current technique is to terminate each shield ground to EVERY backshell.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signed up for the class
icon14.gif

Thanks for making a Video available for review later.

Last edited:
Good video for the basics but out of date on running the CAN BUS daisy chain.

These videos show looping the shield ground from cable to cable. Current technique is to terminate each shield ground to EVERY backshell.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signed up for the class
icon14.gif

Thanks for making a Video available for review later.

You are correct. Our training team here at Garmin is hard at work producing new videos on all kinds of topics for both customers and dealers, and these particular videos are on my supervisor's radar for updating. I told him I'd have to get a manicure if he wants me to demonstrate CAN bus soldering. ;)

I hope to see you guys on the webinar tomorrow!

If you go back to your original webinar link to try to 're-join', it should take you to the recording.

Sorry, Brad, but all I get is a page telling me that the webinar has ended. It's not that I need to watch it. If it doesn't show up on YouTube, I'll live. I was just figuring that there would be some sort of archive and couldn't find it.

Edit: Oops! Sorry (again!), Brad. It IS on YouTube. I was searching for "GTN-650xi" but that is covered under "...and more [new products]."

Another edit: Nope, not the same webinar but from about the same time. "The Latest Products from Garmin: GI 275, GTN Xi, and More" is not on YouTube.

Last edited:
Hello,

If you register for the webinar, you will be able to use the registration link to go back and watch a recording of the presentation.

I have adjusted the settings to send a recorded presentation to all registrants. While multiple people are in charge of setting these up - not all get set the same way. I personally will make an effort to the VAF crowd to make the recordings sent/available after the presentations (but, registration is still required to access).

Thanks,

Brad

PS: Garmin Aviation training is beginning to place more effort in online training videos accessed on YouTube. While this effort is young, please continue to check back for additional content.

Tried this, (hitting original registration link) and no webinar would load? I’d really like to watch this again as I just started VNAV approaches with my G3X system today. Any other advice from G3X team?

Hello,

It looks like the link/recording is no longer accessible. Apologies for the inconvenience.

We have uploaded more training videos to the Garmin Aviation Training YouTube page. You might find some of these videos helpful, like the GTN VNAV Presentation or the G3X Touch Autopilot Use presentation. While some training videos will not be exclusively G3X/GTN, some of the content and basic uses will carry over. We will keep the continued IFR/GTN with G3X demand in mind to continue training focus in this area.

BR,

Brad

. . . While some training videos will not be exclusively G3X/GTN, some of the content and basic uses will carry over. We will keep the continued IFR/GTN with G3X demand in mind to continue training focus in this area.

BR,

Brad

I would sure like to see more training available for the G3X system, as there isn't much available that I can find. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable price ($50 - $100?) for such training. And a condensed version of the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide would be good, as this 400+ page guide is a lot to absorb for someone just transitioning to a new G3X system from a steam gauge panel.

I did find the 2 "webinars" on the G3X auto pilot and G3X/GTN VNAV from the EAA virtual Airventure program to be very helpful.

Thanks

Thank you for posting this video. My ARINC mapping was likely the cause of my problems. Flew VNAV for the first time today. So cool.

Thank you.

Back