What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can a DMD do a basic med sign off?

Captain_John

Well Known Member
I am chatting with a friend of mine and he is a DMD. We got onto the topic of flying and I was wondering if anyone knows if he could do a basic med sign off. I don't recall what the qualifications are. Anyone know this?

:confused: CJ

I am chatting with a friend of mine and he is a DMD. We got onto the topic of flying and I was wondering if anyone knows if he could do a basic med sign off. I don't recall what the qualifications are. Anyone know this?

:confused: CJ

From the AOPA documents:

"Am I qualified to perform a BasicMed exam?
All state-licensed physicians are qualified to perform a BasicMed exam. Advanced practice providers, such nurse practitioners, may assist with the exam but only a state-licensed physician may make the final affirmation on the checklist."

That's all I could find. I assume it takes an MD.

Last edited:
Doctor of Dental Medicine

A dentist can't sign off a Basic Med exam!
Stewart Willoughby, 6 doing the stab SB

Nor a podiatrist, or a chiropractor, NP, PA, or others.

An MD or a DO would qualify as "licensed physician" in Louisiana for sure, probably in most states. DO is Doctor of Osteopathy, and is equivalent to MD for the purposes of running an urgent care or general medical clinic practice. A lot of people see a DO and really don't even know they aren't an MD.

The FAA on their fact sheets says DO is an item you should ask your state government because MD/DO licensing is a state issue not managed by the federal government. But I wouldn't think twice about it. I'm an MD but many docs in our group are DO.

Dang it. There goes my only source of income in my future retirement I guess.....

I?ll sign you off CJ. We can see how far that will get you. :rolleyes:

Advanced practice P.A.?s and N.P.?s

Not allowing P.A.’s and N.P.’s to perform the history and physicals required for Basic Med is dumb. This is what they do best!....and they always have an M.D. to consult with in the event they come across anything that they feel needs further evaluation. So to not allow them to perform Basic Med H&P’s is dumb and a waste of a valuable resource. So, when the Basic Med legislation was being written, I’m not sure if this was purposely written into the rules and regulations to specifically not allow advanced practices providers such as N.P.’s and P.A.’s to perform these H&P’s or if this was just an oversight by people who really didn’t understand the level of education and training that these providers have. Once again, this is what they do best. If the legislation was purposefully written this way, it confirms that it was strictly a political decision and not one based on sound medical/training/knowledge criteria. I’ve been in the medical field for almost 25 years and I can attest to the abilities of N.P.’s and P.A.’s to perform as good or better physical as an M.D or D.O. would ever do.

Mark

Last edited:
Per the AOPA FAQ in a prior post, a supervising physician’s NP can do the entire physical exam, but his or her John or Jeanette Hancock, MD, has to be on the paperwork.

Doing the actual exam and signing the forms are two different issues. We just have to live with the requirement established by Congress.

:cool:

Anyone who has a decent health insurance policy gets an exam every year. (And I can testify that it's a good idea, anyway, if you have any need to worry about passing a medical.) If you're on good terms with your doc, you're done.

Nor a podiatrist, or a chiropractor, NP, PA, or others.

An MD or a DO would qualify as "licensed physician" in Louisiana for sure, probably in most states. DO is Doctor of Osteopathy, and is equivalent to MD for the purposes of running an urgent care or general medical clinic practice. A lot of people see a DO and really don't even know they aren't an MD.

The FAA on their fact sheets says DO is an item you should ask your state government because MD/DO licensing is a state issue not managed by the federal government. But I wouldn't think twice about it. I'm an MD but many docs in our group are DO.

I don't know about DPMs, but what about your opthalmologist? Don't they have MDs?

Or how about a Psychiatrist?

:)

I don't know about DPMs, but what about your opthalmologist? Don't they have MDs?

Or how about a Psychiatrist?

:)

Both are MDs...and as such meet the definition of physician.

Not to be confused with optometrist of psychologist, a clinical doctorate does not a physician make.

Not allowing P.A.?s and N.P.?s to perform the history and physicals required for Basic Med is dumb. This is what that do best!....and they always have an M.D. to consult with in the event they come across anything that they feel needs further evaluation. So to not allow them to perform Basic Med H&P?s is dumb and a waste of a valuable resource. So, when the Basic Med legislation was being written, I?m not sure if this was purposely written into the rules and regulations to specifically not allow advanced practices providers such as N.P.?s and P.A.?s to perform these H&P?s or if this was just an oversight by people who really didn?t understand the level of education and training that these providers have. Once again, this is what they do best. If the legislation was purposefully written this way, it confirms that it was strictly a political decision and not one based on sound medical/training/knowledge criteria. I?ve been in the medical field for almost 25 years and I can attest to the abilities of N.P.?s and P.A.?s to perform as good or better physical as an M.D or D.O. would ever do.

Mark

If someone doesn't like BasicMed.....they can get a Class 3 Medical..... ;)

If someone doesn't like BasicMed.....they can get a Class 3 Medical..... ;)

True, but the physical still has to be performed by an M.D./D.O. I think BasicMed is definitely a move in the right direction. All I?m saying is that resources should be used in the most efficient way possible.

A chiropractor CAN do a basic med, at least in Florida where they are state licensed physician. There is one quite near here that does them. We had a naysayer that called the FAA and was told that if they are a state licensed physician that it is approved. Like it or not that is the law.

Last edited:
DMD

A chiropractor CAN do a basic med, at least in Florida where they are state licensed physician. There is one quite near here that does them. We had a naysayer that called the FAA and was told that if they are a state licensed physician that it is approved. Like it or not that is the law.

I also received my Basic Med physical from a Chiropractor in Florida. He was listed on the Team CME Website
https://www.teamcme.com/locations/faa-physicals/

From their website:
The following healthcare providers are or may be eligible to perform BasicMed exams:

MDs and DOs: Are considered ?Physicians? in all States and can perform the BasicMed exam with or without being a FAA Aviation Medical Examiner.

DCs: Are eligible to perform the BasicMed exam as a ?Specialty Physician? when considered by their State Chiropractic Licensing Board to be a ?State licensed Chiropractic Physician? and as long as their State scope of practice allows performing the components of BasicMed exam.

The following states allow DC's to perform the BasicMed Exam (states not listed are currently being reviewed)
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Florida
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa - NRCME Training also required in order to perform the exams
Indiana - Can take our FAA course to perform exams but no CE Credit for state re-licensure
Kansas
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
New Jersey - NRCME Training also required in order to perform the exams
New Mexico North Dakota
Ohio
Oregon - NRCME Training also required in order to perform the exams
South Dakota - NRCME Training also required in order to perform the exams
West Virginia

ANPs/PAs: Are physician extenders who are not physicians but who perform some medical activities typically done by a physician. Privileges vary by state. They are not specifically excluded, but the BasicMed Physician is responsible for conducting the exam and must sign the Comprehensive Medical Exam Checklist. ANPs/PAs can perform part or all of the BasicMed exam according to state regulations.

Others: Dentists, Naturopaths, Podiatrists, and other ?specialty physicians? may be eligible if their state licensing board considers them to be ?State Licensed Specialty Physicians?.

That?s interesting for sure. Definitely a state issue. I would advise caution. With Basic Med you are really self certifying you meet standards. If you ever have an incident where your health is examined it would stink to have your eligibility ruled invalid and lose your insurance protections or be found more liable for something somehow. The scope of practice of the physician has to cover all the items in the exam. Most of the exam is far past the scope of a DC or podiatrist or dentist. Arguable for sure and YMMV.

The scope of practice of the physician has to cover all the items in the exam. Most of the exam is far past the scope of a DC or podiatrist or dentist. Arguable for sure and YMMV.

And the eye portion is, it seems to me, to be beyond the scope of what most GPs are set up to evaluate. When was the last time your GP did tests on near and far vision, color blindness, etc.? I doubt if they even have the eye charts in the office...

But now, the proctologist...he or she can handle that line-item about your anus, no problem! :)

My PCP had virtually the same distance eye-chart and color-vision prints that the AME used for my first 3rd class. For near vision, he got a magazine from the waiting room and had me read the 3 pt type in a pharmaceutical ad's disclaimers: "Side effects may include rash, hives, constipation, diarrhea, scrofula, galloping bollockitis and mopery with intent to gawk..." No functional difference from the AME in my inexpert opinion. He's part a large group practice, so his office may be unusually well equipped.

Actually no, it is not past the scope of a Podiatrist as we are Licensed as Physicians in most states and that we provide our patients with history and Physicals before we do surgery on them. As I hold both degrees, I can tell you that in my state I can not perform basic med under my DC lic, but i can under my DPM. It is considerably more in depth to do a pre-op H&P than it is to do a basic med exam. Both Lic holders have the necessary skill and knowledge to do the basic med.

Technically, 14 CFR 68.5 does not say "US-licensed" physician.. Just a state licensed physician. Just a thought...

My guy's a DVM.

...and I get a cookie if I don't bite him...

Lol Nick I never thought of that! A DVM is still a doctor!

I'm not interested in doing this as I still do the third class thing. I find this interesting though.

Sounds like this is as clear as mud!

:rolleyes: CJ

Back