What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NYC Transition

BABALU

Well Known Member
Heading to RHode Island Thursday in my RV from Nags head NC . I know my VFR transition options , under the class B to the east , over the top of all Bravo weather permitting , the scenic Hudson VFR or the Bravo trasition up the Hudson or my least preferred route the long way around to the west . I always fly with flight following , is the underneath to the east a feasible route if needed? Last time i was over the top headed south VFR at 8500 in July on a clear day and i couldnt see the horizon due the the haze over long island sound, also lots of big aircraft up there , no fun.

You should have great weather for all options. I fly from Myrtle Beach to Belmar NJ (KBLM) to visit my family. It's virtually direct from Conway (KHYW) to Belmar. You fly right over Newport News in Virginia (??). If you came up that way, the West is an acceptable route around NY. Stay under the 3000' floor of the outer ring and cross the Hudson north of the SFRA near the Alpine Tower and then follow the Long Island Sound to Westerly (or even better, Block Island!!).

I've flown to 1st flight a couple times and it is a nice coastal route all the way north. You just have to skirt the edge of a restricted area around the south end of the CBBT and again as you leave Virginia and enter Maryland on the Eastern shore. Nothing difficult about it. Then you can cross the Delaware Bay to NJ and fly up the beach the whole way. Then I would take the NYC SFRA up the Hudson. Well worth it. Ask if you need help with that.

You can still fly the same route I just mentioned but stay out of the Hudson by flying the Eastern side of NYC airspace. You'll have to be under 500' for a bit South of Kennedy (KJFK), but then you are back to around 1500' or higher. I do this all the time when I fly to Block Island from Belmar. It's a nice scenic flight along the South shore of Long Island and you can fly past Montauk (very nice view) and turn NE to Point Judith, RI.

Any of these are nice. Personally from Nags Head, I would try the coastal route. If you check it out on the chart, it's not difficult at all...none of the routes are. I'm not sure how far South Nags Head is but I do remember seeing a bunch of restricted areas at the bottom of NC, along the coast.

Keep in mind there is a TFR in NYC Today. I think it ends today as well but check it out.

Last edited:
I always did over the top of JFK with flight following, 7500? northbound, 8500? south bound. Going around to the east you end up too low or too far out over water. Going around on the west side is boreing.

The controllers where happy to work with me and when I needed to go through the class B to set up for an airport they normally gave me lower before I asked for it.

Carl

I live in Maine, so the NYC-B is always in the way when I'm headed south. The only time they've declined a transition is when I've been near Newark during rush hours...

Those guys earn their pay...I've always enjoyed listening to them work it...

I go under to the East all of the time. It is no problem. You just have to watch for the occasional TFR, but that would affect any of those routes. Going further East allows you to go around the air space. It looks like a long way over water on a map, but flying it you are actually glideable to shore.

I’d say go up and around past Sussex, cross near West Point area. Make the turn.there.

Definitely watch for TFRs lots of them today and white plains area has them all the time.

I've flown to/from the Carolinas (from Eastern Massachusetts) a few times. My preferred route is West past Bradley in Ct, then angle SouthWest leaving NYC way to my left. I fly over Philly, down the DelMar Penninsula - which incidentally gets me outside the DC 60 mile radius - threading my way past the MOA's.

Cross the Chesapeake at the narrow point and then land and gas up at ORF.

You get a nice view of Norfolk Naval Base.

From there it's Dealer's choice.

Back