What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14

dbrodymd

Hello all: I am new here, thinking about an RV-14, but at 6 foot five I would first like to try one on for size. (I tried an RV-7 last week but just too tight). I fly out of KLCI in New Hampshire and am wondering if there is anyone in the New England area with a 14 who might be willing to let me take a look. Not for a demo flight, just to get a feel for the cockpit. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks, David Brody

I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room. The seats and the pedals are adjustable. At 6'2" I'm using the second position on the seats and the pedals forward position.

It's a very comfortable airplane for giants like me :D

Unless Vans has changed the part,and if you'll even remember at that point in your build, you'll need to fabricate new steel connection linkage for the rudder cables. Not a complex part, but you can't really use aluminum and steel really can't effectively be machined with the tools you'll purchase for the build.

I'll find a link to the blog and post it ... having trouble finding it right this sec :eek:

Last edited:
Welcome David-

14 is a fantastic plane! but, I am 6'4" and while my 7A isn't flying (so close!) yet I fit well. I added the "almost a 14 mod" from Anti Splat and moved the rudder pedal assembly forward. I'll definitely use the aft seat back position but have lots of leg and plenty of head room (well, as much as I have in most cars/planes).

Can't go wrong with any RV

What is the "almost a 14" mod? Does that refer to the rudder pedals or something else? And I had never heard that the rudder pedals are adjustable, is that ground adjustable or does it require some variation during construction? I am looking at either buying used or new construction and I wonder if I might be able to apply some adjustment to, say, an RV-7 (which would be more affordable than a 14).

Thanks, David Brody

The almost 14 mod is made by anti splat aero. He’s on this site quite often. I think it refers to a seat back mod.

The rudder pedal are ground adjustable but not something you would want to do often. Six bolts and you would have to stand on your head to move them. You select the position you desire during construction but if someone was to purchase an RV-14 the position could be changed.

Does the option to re-bolt the rudder pedals apply to an RV-7 as well? And how much extra legroom could it get you; that is, what is the total range of pedal positions? If I could fit into a 7 I think that would be preferable to a 14. Thanks to all this is all good information.

David Brody

If you're that tall and looking at 7's don't look at or sit in a 14 :D they are considerably more comfortable ...

Well, back to my original question then: Any 14s in the New England area? I'd love a chance just to try the cockpit on for size.

Thanks, David Brody

I'm going to wait and see if I can find an exact match but I will keep this in mind. Thank you, the offer is much appreciated.

David Brody

David,
I have an RV-10 at KLCI.
I searched the FAA database and found this RV-214 in NH.
Aircraft Description
Serial Number 140367 Status Valid
Manufacturer Name GRAY LARRY B Certificate Issue Date 06/03/2020
Model RV-14A Expiration Date 06/30/2023
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 51377746
MFR Year None Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A5FFE6
Type Registration Individual Fractional Owner NO
Kit Manufacturer VANS AIRCRAFT INC Kit Model RV-14A
Registered Owner
Name GRAY LARRY B
Street 19 IRIS DR

City MERRIMACK State NEW HAMPSHIRE
County HILLSBOROUGH Zip Code 03054-4067
Country UNITED STATES
Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer Unknown Classification Unknown
Engine Model Unknown Category None
A/W Date None Exception Code No

Good luck,

Alan
N668G RV10
N603NH RV12 in progress

Well I'll be darned, right there at KLCI! I wonder if I might stop down sometime to check out your RV-10. I can generally get away Sundays (if that doesn't work I could figure out another time). Please let me know what might work for you.

I will also contact the gentleman with the 14, my understanding is that the 10 and 14 are fairly similar in that regard. Thank you much for the detective work!

David Brody

Back