What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else to do before I attach the tailcone?

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - quick question. I am quickly approaching the section in the build where the instructions have you attach the tailcone to the fuselage.

I am planning on installing my static tubing before attaching the tailcone, but wondering what else I should be thinking about before the joining begins

Thanks,
Jason

AHRS platform if you are planning on putting it back there.

ELT antenna wiring. I used a larger conduit strung a bit loosely so no strain would be put on the cable if the rear fus. crumples a bit.

Last edited:
If you are just attaching the tailcone there isn't much you really need to worry about. But, before you rivet the top skins on you will want to think about the wiring (strobe, rudder trim if applicable), static tubing, AP servo mount(s), and possibly magnetometer. You might also consider cutting/installing the naca vent if you plan on using overhead vents.

Gil,

Any particular reason you, "used a larger conduit?"

Mike

Yes, so the cable is a loose fit in the conduit. Stuff a little extra cable in it too...:)

You don't want a nicely tied down tight co-ax strapped to a j-stringer that could get crumpled in an accident.

Looking ahead, in a few steps the instructions have you install the rudder cables. Any reason not to put them in the tailcone before it is attached to the fuselage?

Back