What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Supertracks: extended canopy tracks for easier baggage access

Steve,

There are two nylon blocks just behind the existing tracks that engage the aft canopy pins when the canopy is fully closed. It would be impractical to move them. You'd have to figure out a whole new aft pin strategy.

Even if you did move them, the narrowing of the rear fuselage would prevent a simple extension of the existing tracks unless you were willing to have the tracks protruding on the outside of the fuselage.

If the tracks protruded, then it would be difficult to seal the canopy, and on and on....

One change always begets 10 more.....

Thanks Vince. On the -8 there is a single pin in the center. But with the wider canopy of the 6/7/9, I can see that its better to have two pins at the corners.

Why don't the super tracks protrude on the outside of the fuselage like straight track extensions would? Seems like they need to run parallel to fit the roller width.

Easy

Steve, they add a roller to the inside of the canopy frame so it goes in the supertrack that is offset to the inside.

Best,

Kudos

My kit arrived last week. Very impressed with the machining and packaging. Had to jump north to Alaska for work on this rainy weekend... but have time blocked out next week to install the kit. This design is going to solve a long standing issue with loading and unloading the plane. I am so looking forward to using it. Thanks guys... for figuring out how to accomplish it and not make it a NASA project to modify the original. WELL DONE.

Steve,

Blake is getting a bona fide installation video edited and ready to show. We hope to have it out soon. In the meantime, we have a quick blurb that we shot that shows a bit of the details of the system.

bit.ly/supertracksinstall

It's shot on a cell phone, so it's a bit blurry, but you can see the two parallel tracks, i.e. the original Van's track, and the Supertrack with the S-bend. If you look closely, you can see that there is an extra roller added that engages the Supertrack. In other words, one original roller for the original track, and one new roller for the new track. The tracks are parallel, but not in the same line because of the nylon latching block that the Supertrack is designed to clear.

Easy peasy.... right!?

Shout Out for Supertracks

SHOUT OUT: The FlyBoys canopy track extender is MARVELOUS! Well designed and beautifully made. I love my RV-7 Slider but hate climbing around on the wing bent over with my head under canopy trying to find and retrieve stuff from behind the seats. And the limited canopy travel makes it extremely difficult for my wife to get in and out of the plane without pulling and then pushing on the canopy ? this so unnerves her that she hates flying in the -7. That?s all history now! The track extender from FlyBoys allows me to access to cargo while standing next to the plane ON THE GROUND. The extender track provides my wife with a convenient and sturdy handhold for boarding, and with the canopy out of her way she can easily sit on the seat back then gracefully slide down into the cockpit; egress has similarly improved. At our advancing age (notice I didn?t say old) the extra room, easy access to cargo, and sturdy handhold make life much, much nicer for both of us.

Vince and Blake, you have a sure winner here! Thank you.

Robert

Tips the balance toward slider!

Thanks guys. This is great news.
My wife has once in a while clamored for a side-by-side, and being able to fully access the baggage compartment opens windows to so many uses that I can't do with the -8. I may become a repeat-offender sooner than I thought.

:)puns not really intentional, but I wasn't going to NOT use them!:)

Half way through the installation. Paused to do some paint touch ups on canopy frame, since it was off anyway.
I do notice that looking at the pictures helps. You can put the rollers on the axles the wrong way.... but that leads to the bolt heads sticking out too far. So instead of grinding the heads down (smile) just turn them around.
Also, when you get to the small vertical bracket at the rear of the S tracks, you might want to bolt it on first. It is really hard to get the nut in there... while the assembly is in place. At least on my 9A.
Clean the tracks well, while everything is apart. They get gunked up over time.
Don't notch the track more than you have too. And you might angle the notch and round off the edges for smoothness too.
Will post photos when finished. I like it so far.

See the first SuperTracks installation

canopy.jpg

I will have "Sky Terrier", the first SuperTracks installation, at our EAA Chapter 21 fly-in tomorrow, Saturday May 7. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=137549 Come and join us in Hendrson, KY (KEHR) for a great lunch and see the SuperTrack; and see how easy it was to carry all the food and supplies for the Fly-In in the back of Sky Terrier.

Last edited:
Wow, that was the quickest decision to spend $300 we've made in awhile! Just ordered the rudder stop a few weeks ago, too, wish we hadn't missed the supertracks then.

Oh how I wish the previous owner had not put the GNS430 antenna right behind
the canopy track. I would really like this for my RV6A.

Great product, but after watching the short video it appears Supertracks cannot be installed if there is a Classic Aero tonneau cover in place. Would be good if FlyBoys could check that and maybe offer a suggestion.

post install observations

My photos won't add anything to the discussion, so I will be lazy.
Just a couple of comments. The open canopy now allows my folding bike to go in the baggage area without risk to the canopy and risk to my lower back... twisting it into place. That alone, is worth the price.
I don't think we will be boarding and using the S track as a handle. The screws that hold it down are not robust enough for repeated side loading in my opinion. I see a bit of twist happening just by pulling that direction. As designed, I don't think we will see any appreciable wear on the components.
I noticed the axle bolts are hardware store variety. Not sure of the thread dimensions, but would have preferred a nice anodized AN bolt there.
I might slot the side of the aircraft skins at some point, to gain another inch or two of rear travel. And lastly, on my 9A the turtle deck track was slightly wider than the ten inch extension supplied. It does not affect the operation.... but a perfectionist would squawk the Delta there. I am not that anal and no one will notice walking around the plane. It rates right up there with Antisplat products designed to complement our RV's. I am really glad I put this in.

We don't have any RVs with that tonneau nearby. Care to share a few photos of the tonneau to me at [email protected] ?

Great product, but after watching the short video it appears Supertracks cannot be installed if there is a Classic Aero tonneau cover in place. Would be good if FlyBoys could check that and maybe offer a suggestion.

Nick,

The feedback is very much appreciated. Please let me add my thoughts to a couple of your comments.

Everyone in the hangar was using the S-track as a handle to board the plane, somewhat unexpectedly or serendipitously, depending on your POV. Certainly, the hardware size, or number of screws, can be increased if a concern exists. The S-track itself i should be PLENTY strong enough. I guess we could say it's a "balance" grip. OTOH, anything that keeps the passengers hands OFF of the canopy is a good thing, right?

The roller axle hardware is indeed of the coarse threaded variety, exactly the same as is provided with the F1 sliding canopies that we supply. While fine threaded AN hardware is aircraft standard, cutting fine threads into the aluminum axle parts isn't optimal. Just make sure to put a bit of Loctite on the threads during final assembly... an important step.

And finally, we did find some variation in the spine track width on the planes we have done here. Normal variations for non-precision sheared parts, both ours and Van's, and easily remedied with a file if desired.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Vince

My photos won't add anything to the discussion, so I will be lazy.
Just a couple of comments. The open canopy now allows my folding bike to go in the baggage area without risk to the canopy and risk to my lower back... twisting it into place. That alone, is worth the price.
I don't think we will be boarding and using the S track as a handle. The screws that hold it down are not robust enough for repeated side loading in my opinion. I see a bit of twist happening just by pulling that direction. As designed, I don't think we will see any appreciable wear on the components.
I noticed the axle bolts are hardware store variety. Not sure of the thread dimensions, but would have preferred a nice anodized AN bolt there.
I might slot the side of the aircraft skins at some point, to gain another inch or two of rear travel. And lastly, on my 9A the turtle deck track was slightly wider than the ten inch extension supplied. It does not affect the operation.... but a perfectionist would squawk the Delta there. I am not that anal and no one will notice walking around the plane. It rates right up there with Antisplat products designed to complement our RV's. I am really glad I put this in.

technique

Discovered a way to extend the canopy to the rear without twisting and lifting.
As I get up out of the 9A, with the canopy pushed to the rear with my right hand (normal, pre-mod rearward postition) I just let my shoulders contact the frame. It lifts up into the S bend of the Supertracks and slides back all the way. It is hard to describe, but easy to do. The travel is so great now, that pushing from seated position is hard due to arm length and angles. Your technique may be vary and I would love to hear how everyone is doing with Supertracks. I unloaded my backpack and gear on a work trip this week... from a standing position on the left side of the plane. What a nice change.

Last edited:
Another RVer may have answered this question for us:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=138079&highlight=supertracks

He sounds like he is pleased with the Supertracks installation with his tonneau cover. Perhaps he can chime in with answers to specific questions you may have?

Thanks,
Vince

Installed

Just installed Supertracks in my 7-A this weekend. Took 6 hours. Great mod!!

Finally caught up... just in time for Oshkosh

Hello folks, just a quick update on this product for those interested:

Thanks to awesome work by our machinist, we were finally able to catch up to the back log of orders for Supertracks, and all existing orders have been shipped.

We've got a small batch made up and ready now. Since it was just in time for Oshkosh, we took part of this batch up to the show, and will have some available here to sell. We left the other part of the batch at home to fill orders for anyone that wants to buy it on the site, and should be ready to ship those when we get back home, around August 2 or 3 (of course actual ship dates depend on how many orders are in the queue when we get back).

We've got a show special price of $299 for the show. If you're at the show drop by the booth in Booth 4035B, near the main entrance of Building D. I'm not sure how long the supply we have will hold out, so it might be a good idea to show up early Monday to get one before the rush.

If you're not at the show or you don't want to carry it home, you can place an order on the website, and use coupon code OSHKOSHST at checkout to get the show special pricing (saves $50 off current retail price, by the way). Find the product listing at http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1401.htm

Thanks again for the positive response to this product! On a more personal note, this has allowed me to quit my day job to work in aviation full time, which is AMAZING, and hopefully will help me scrape up the cash to take more flying lessons to finish my Private Pilot's. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last edited:
Installed my tracks this past weekend. Since I haven't yet installed the canopy side skirts, I did not have to remove the canopy at all since I had already installed the center track extension the previous weekend.

I agree that the aft support should be drilled and screwed before final install of the front mount screws. I will likely have to remove mine again to get that part done.

Hi.

I have recently purchased a flying RV7A Slider in Australia and approached my LAME - AP about installing this mod.

Is there anyone in Australia who has installed this mod who would be able to please email me with some guidance?

[email protected]

Cheers!

I know a Bankstown based RV7 with the supertracks mod. If he doesn't see this I will ask if he will get in touch with you. Alternatively if you are going to Narromine you'll have an opportunity to see it.
Mal

Installed my tracks this past weekend. Since I haven't yet installed the canopy side skirts, I did not have to remove the canopy at all since I had already installed the center track extension the previous weekend.

I agree that the aft support should be drilled and screwed before final install of the front mount screws. I will likely have to remove mine again to get that part done.

Are you doing the aluminum top skirt on the slider? If so, you may want to wait to drill the top slide T tail. After the rear skirt is done, and the canopy closed, you can move the T rail forward or aft to bring the top skirt down tight against the fuse, ( this vertical adjustment is happening at the forward angle portion of the T rail) then drill this rail into place. Not the only way to do it but that's how I did mine :D

Installed mine in 4 hrs. Really nice to have the extra space for access , also makes it a lot easier to access rear bulkhead for condition inspection or what ever reason. I push full back everytime i enter or exit , no problem.
Easy install , good video instruction available for for those to lazy to read the instructions. Side rail is not a handle so dont use it as one.

If you're waiting for a sale...

Hello Folks!

Just in case any of you all were waiting on these kits to go on sale, I wanted to let you know that the Supertracks is on sale now, through the end of the year, with free shipping to boot.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

EDIT: Here's the URL to make it easy on you! http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1401.htm

Last edited:
6 month update

Looking for a Christmas present for your airplane? This is one of the best modifications I have seen. Some, from antisplat...just make things safer. Most days I don't know they are there. The Supertracks, on the other hand, are a daily bonus when loading and unloading. I really appreciate the extra clearance. Well engineered and still working great. Happy Holidays all....

Ordered mine

I ordered mine 10 am yesterday and received "Shipped" notification at 1:00 !!!! Looking forward to it!!!:)

Supertracks is the best mod!

I received my Supertracks 3 days after ordering, spent 3 hours installing it with a friend. Works great and actually makes my plane SAFER! The less times I have to climb on that wing the Better!
Just FYI, I did attach the rear of the Supertracks different than the plans showed and it made it MUCH Stronger. That strap from the side did not seem right to me so I attached the strap to the bottom of the track, then bent it to match the angle of the side support of my fuselage and used 2 rivets to attach to the fuselage.

If you could post a picture of your modified installation that would be great

thanks

erich

Last edited:
Guys, don't get all worked up over the rear strap. The tracks are strong enough that the rear strap isn't really loaded significantly.

However, if you caught a luggage strap around the aft end of the track and gave it s good yank, you'd probably be happy to have installed the extra, albeit relatively small, support strap.

Install the strap as seems best to you and rock on!

I saw one of these installed on a friend's plane the other day and was really impressed!

If I had made the mistake of building a slider, I would put this on my plane.

Installed my supertracks last week - wish I had done it sooner. Especially with the -A model, loading things into the baggage area is SO much easier, especially the live cargo that I frequently fly for Pilots N Paws.

Installation was straightforward and a fun one-day project. Would have been a half-day if not for the usual airport distractions. Only note is be sure not to use too much loc-tite on the roller screws lest it ooze out and lock up a wheel. I stripped a screw trying to remove it and free the wheel, and despite a decent repair attempt with JB Weld will need to order a new roller assembly. Vince - if you read this please check your email, I'd love to buy one from you!

Regarding the slider, I consider it a must for hot weather flying, despite the loss of some access behind the panel. Plan your panel and wiring for easy servicing and this should be a minor issue.Plus no leaks to worry about, and let's be honest - it looks cooler! ;) And my dog loves to taxi with his head out the window.

Chris

Last edited:
Please elaborate on slider comment.

Getting ready to build.

?? Dangerous

Neal, Sliders are no more dangerous than tip ups. There are pros and cons to each, but none of them amount to anything enough to make one better than the other. When it comes to canopies, it truly comes down to personal preference.

The Tip-ups have nice access to the cargo area and make it easy to access behind the panel if you need. But, with these supertracks, the baggage access argument is pretty mute at this point. They allow you as much access as he tip ups do essentially.

As for the behind the panel access, that can be easy to remediate in a slider. Just build your panels with easily removable sections and leave service loops in your wiring.

For me, I am going slider. I love the way they look, and taxiing with the canopy back is very nice in the hot steamy Southern Summers. I am going to be buying a set of these Supertracks when I start on my fuselage, they are well worth every penny.

Tip up baggage is hard to get to

Been flying a tip up 6-A for years and it is hard to get big stuff into the back with the large roll over structure and tall seat backs. I tried to get a folding bike in and wound up strapping it in the co-pilot seat. You wind up with one foot on the wing and the other on a seat hunched over when you are trying to retrieve a small item from the baggage floor. An un-modified slider would be easier by about 2 inches of top clearance. I did the Supertracks in my new 6 and the access is much better.

Ed

Neal, Sliders are no more dangerous than tip ups. There are pros and cons to each, but none of them amount to anything enough to make one better than the other. When it comes to canopies, it truly comes down to personal preference.

The Tip-ups have nice access to the cargo area and make it easy to access behind the panel if you need. But, with these supertracks, the baggage access argument is pretty mute at this point. They allow you as much access as he tip ups do essentially.

As for the behind the panel access, that can be easy to remediate in a slider. Just build your panels with easily removable sections and leave service loops in your wiring.

For me, I am going slider. I love the way they look, and taxiing with the canopy back is very nice in the hot steamy Southern Summers. I am going to be buying a set of these Supertracks when I start on my fuselage, they are well worth every penny.

Please elaborate on slider comment.

Getting ready to build.

?? Dangerous

If this is in reference to my comment regarding the slider, I don't see one as more or less dangerous than the other.

I really like my tip-up canopy because there is no structure to look around when flying and it is lighter than a slider. For these reasons I consider building a slider a mistake.

It really is all personal preference and has been hashed out on this forum a gazillion times before.

As I said, if I were building a slider, I WOULD include this highly desirable mod!

Last edited:
If this is in reference to my comment regarding the slider, I don't see one as more or less dangerous than the other.

I really like Mt tip-up canopy because there is no structure to look around when flying and it is lighter than a slider. Fore these reasons I consider building a slider a mistake.

It really is all personal preference and has been hashed out on this forum a gazillion times before.

As I said, if I were building a slider, I WOULD include this highly desirable mod!

A mistake? .....................ok, making popcorn...................ok, now I'm ready :D

My plane will never fly

Make some for me Bret! I enjoy tossing a hand grenade over the wall every now and then.

Remind me to get all offended and never let you in my mistake of an RV with the little wheel on the front AND a sliding canopy Bill. :D

There is some quote about building the airplane you want and not the airplane others want you to build around here somewhere.:cool:

Let's go flying! I may be having lunch at 57A on Saturday, pop over and join us.

Supertracks and ACS Key Locks

Hi All,
I've got my supertracks installed and in a word, they're awesome. I would however like to install an Aircraft Spruce lock that comes with the keyed ignition, however I'm not exactly sure where to install these so that it does not conflict with either the turtledeck or the supertracks during opening. I've looked at an installation that did not have a supertrack, however I suspect that the regular positioning will catch on the supertracks when the canopy is opened. Are people using this lock style with the supertracks, and if so, where it the best location to position it?
Here's the lock set in question:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/igswitches2.php

Cheers,
Tom.

Encore, another satisfied Supertrack installer/user :)

Installation in the -6 took more time than predicted... moving the COM antenna top to bottom, getting rid of pesky glue residue left by some protecting tape previously placed under the dorsal rail, visiting friends taking comfort in the heated hangar, all took their toll.
On the other hand the work was pretty straightforward following the excellent guidance provided in the paper and video instructions. Materials are of very high quality and once done I ended with a surplus of AN hardware, a nice touch.

Thanks to Blake and the team for another top notch product and super support service!

install-780.jpg

before-780-1.jpg

after-780-1.jpg

Back