What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar around Placerville

kaa

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

With all that's happening with remote work, I'm seriously considering moving from the Bay Area somewhere closer to Sierras, and I've been looking at the hangar situation around Placerville to move my airplane as well. So far the wait lists seem to be very long, but it looks like there are a bunch of privately owned hangars in the area as well. I'd be happy to share a bigger hangar with someone too. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

possibilities

Hi everyone,

With all that's happening with remote work, I'm seriously considering moving from the Bay Area somewhere closer to Sierras, and I've been looking at the hangar situation around Placerville to move my airplane as well. So far the wait lists seem to be very long, but it looks like there are a bunch of privately owned hangars in the area as well. I'd be happy to share a bigger hangar with someone too. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

You might check hangar availability at Westover (Jackson), and at San Andreas (Calaveras County) Both nice little airports.

There is an air park just north of Placerville, Swansboro. I have a friend that lives there. If you are thinking of buying a home, that might be a place to look. I don't know about rental possibilities there. Also a big air park at Cameron Park, and there are some hangars on that airport on the other side from the airpark from all the homes.

Placerville & Swansboro

Placerville hangar space seems tough to come by. I think there may be a few hangars were you could tuck an RV under another plane, but it would be a situation where you'd have to ask around. I looked into the same to tuck our Cozy into a hangar with another EZ.

I have 10 acres of poison oak about a mile off the runway at Swansboro (outside of the HOA boundary). I've asked a few times about renting a hangar or just getting access to the airport. The answer has always been that you have to be a property owner. The least expensive lots are ~$18k or so for 2 acres. Some day I'll probably buy one just to get access. It would turn my minimum 2 1/2 hour drive from the bay area into a 30 minute flight.

I suggest talking the EAA group there at PVF. They have a strong chapter. For O61, Cameron Park, there is a very long waiting list to get a hangar. Last I checked they did have tie downs available still, but those are filling up. Unfortunately land owners at the airport (and at many others in the area) see more value in RV storage and storage space rentals vs. airport storage. I live about 15 min from O61, happy to be a local resource/tour guide if you want. PM me for phone/email.

There have been several recent sales at Cameron Airpark. Sometimes there is hangar space on the airpark side. Might try contacting Friends of Cameron Airport (Focafly.org). In the past they have been willing to send out a mass email when someone is looking for hangar space.

Back