What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The corn starch method

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
For those of you using Nuvite, do you find success with the method of corn starch to remove polish after Grade S?

If so, how do you use it. I've tried putting a microfiber towel in a baggie and shaking it, then buffing. It works OK, but I don't think it's that great (compared to, say, a solvent).

of course, Perfect Polish says using the solvent will remove the "chemical protection" provided by the polish, although I'm not convinced there is such a thing.

I found dusting it on the joints/rivet lines and buffing with the microfibre was enough to remove the residue.

Take a piece of an old cotton shirt (thin enough to be slightly porous), put a spoonful of cornstarch in the middle, then pull the edges up and wrap an elastic band around to make a powder puff. Dab the puff along the rivet lines and skin seams, it will leave a trail of powder. Then buff with the microfibre.

Panty hose material

I only heard this from people who do bright work on Corprate jets. I haven't done it myself

Bob,

I rip the top off the box and shake it all over.
This stuff is cheap. 89 cents.
Might look like dough boy when done.:D
Then rup it into the cracks and screw heads.
After all the excess is wiped up I use the air hose and hit all screw
Heads and then the rivet lines.

Do not use solvent. It will flash the shine if you know what I mean.

Hope it helps.
Now go flying and worry about the shine in a few days.

Boomer

Word is that corn starch is corrosive. And because it works its way into seams and under overlaps. it can cause corrosion in places that are hard to see.

I have no personal knowledge about whether this is fact or urban legend; however I have a lot of experience with Nuvite and found that it is not hard to clean up around rivets and other areas.

A friend of mine with a polished warbird uses it. Does a small area at a time just like waxing. He just dabs a soft rag in a tub of the stuff and wipes it on the surface, keeps wiping until all the residue of polish and cornstarch are gone. Takes about as much time as removing wax.

Back