VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Default Eggenfellner H6

Anybody flying the Eggenfellner h6 engine. I have read a lot of negative reviews. Looked at a nice RV9 with the h6...thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Welcome to VAF!

Those engines didn't live up to the hype and I don't believe they are still supported.

There were a lot of issues with the engines in terms of life expectancy, both the engine and yours once the engine failed. Try using the Advance search feature and put in "Egg" or "Eggenfellner".

When I was tracking such things, airplanes with these installed typically weighed 100+ pounds more than a comparable RV with a Lycoming up front.

Honestly, I'm surprised there are any still flying.

Now, Ross will be around with his input. He is VERY knowledgably and will slap my hand for the above. He has been flying behind one of his own design, but that is what does for a living.

As a good friend of mine said about his auto engine conversion, "If you like to tinker, put an auto engine in your plane. If you like to fly, put a Lycoming in it." BTW, he has more RV glider time than anyone else I know. His core engine has never failed but all the support systems that keep it running have.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 11-22-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:46 PM

What Bill said.
I was there in the beginning, and Jan even had a few of my dollars for a bit (hard to admit, past life). RUN.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyflyer View Post
Anybody flying the Eggenfellner h6 engine. I have read a lot of negative reviews. Looked at a nice RV9 with the h6...thanks
If you're an engine/ mechanical type guy and the plane is cheap, it might be worth a look. If you're not, I'd steer clear unless it really is cheap and you'd be prepared to swap the Sube out for a Lycoming.

The engines themselves have been pretty reliable if the EFI is tuned properly but expect to go 10-20 knots slower and burn 1 to 1.5 GPH more than an injected Lycoming 360. Most of the problems were in the Egg designed stuff bolted to the basic engines.

The gearboxes have had their issues. Don't buy a plane with a Gen 1 or Gen 2 GB. The Gen 3 also had issues fairly often although some have had no issues and accumulated several hundred reliable hours each.
New gearboxes are being produced by Mike Talmadge with all the problems addressed.

There have been hub issues with the Quinti 3 blade props and those are no longer supported either to my knowledge.

The H6 installations are usually at least 100 pounds heavier than your average Lycoming RV.

Depending on vintage and equipment, some of these don't cool well in the climb on hot days.

On the plus side, when running right, these are much smoother than a Lycoming and don't suffer from some of the same problems that afflict those engines. They do have some of their own unique issues though. They are generally not fond of a continuous diet of 100LL long term. There have been some issues with improperly mounted crank trigger magnets, misaligned sensors, slipping balancer rings, starter kickbacks, VVT issues.

The Egg support Yahoo Group SubeNews has migrated over to a new place recently so there is support there but no factory support for parts.

Some people hate 'em and some people love 'em, depends what your cup of tea is.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 439.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 12-13-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyflyer View Post
A RV (any model) with a Lyc sells for much more than an RV with an auto engine. To build an RV with auto engine, especially an Egg kit, is not cheaper than a Lyc which is relatively cheap and easier to build and complete.

If you want to fly, not spend time tinkering, have a good performing RV, lighter and with higher resale, go with a Lycoming. Weight matters if you want to stay within Van's limits. A heavy engine will limit payload, fuel.... etc. Most people just ignore Van's limit and arbitrarily add to Van's recommend gross weights. You can do that with experimental. There are debates on the wisdom of that. In general a light RV is much more of a delight to fly.

I am a die-hard fan of Lycoming or I ain't going. I love the idea of auto engine conversions and admire people who pursue and get those alternate power plants and get them flying in their airplane. I just don't think (my opinion) they work as well as an air cooled, direct drive, Horz opposed Lyc. It has not been for the lack of trying. People who are really talented, have skill and resources, and really commit to an auto engine conversion, come out with fairly good results. However these are very custom planes, not bolt on Egg H6 kits. It is just not for me.

Go to rv6ejguy web page and see his RV-6 build with a Subie, amazing. His is not an Egg, but his own setup. Could you do that? I can't. I have built two RV's and the Lyc is fair easier to build and get flying from what I have seen. I have not built a plane with an auto engine but been around builders who did. He also sells the best electronic ignition and electronic FI in my opinion. Keep that in mind for an upgrade on any RV you buy.

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 12-14-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Default i do

I fly an H6 powered RV7. You can message me if you want my full experience.

You will hear mostly negative comments here (and maybe rightfully so), and a lot of those will come from those who don't have experience with them. This forum is most definitely biased against auto conversions and especially Subaru conversion from eggenfellner.

Rv6ejguy gives great advice... it really comes down to you and price.

Ross, did you mean Gen3? or Gen2? Def don't use a gen 1 or 2. the Gen 3 (gen3 v4 red anodized PRSU) have been pretty reliable with a few defective ones out there (Although there is still controversy about how the main shaft was made). There is another gearbox out there that had initial problems resolved. The new version from Mike T looks promising, but again, is new so....
The Marcotti gearbox Ross has seems to be be really nice but is made of unobtainium.
(started: Feb 2002 --> Completed: May 2016)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Default If you like to tinker...

I know someone who does, and things seem to be working pretty well. The carbon fiber intake manifold he fabricated is pretty cool, too

Have to admit, his experience has softened my stance. Sound great (subjective, I know) too.
960+ hours as of June 30, 2020. Where did the time go?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
The carbon fiber intake manifold he fabricated is pretty cool, too
haha thanks
(started: Feb 2002 --> Completed: May 2016)
Old 12-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Jeff, Gen 2. Thanks for catching that, edited.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 439.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm