What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !

sometimes I'm envious of you -9 drivers (and -6, -7, -10, &-12). The -8 (and -3 & -4) just don't have that kind of panel space !

Looks like it will be a very nice panel to fly from !

I don't post very often, (but always contribute to this great website) and have reached a milestone with completion of my panel. Equipment Includes GRT 10.4" HXr and EIS, GTN 650, PMA 450 Audio Panel, AOA pro, Trutrak Vizion A/P, GNC-255A Nav/Com and remote TT22 Transponder. Wiring Architecture includes backup 20A alternator as endurance buss, with Dual P-mags for the IO-360. Many thanks to SteinAir and Mike Gleason for all of their input. They are terrific!

1julvs.jpg

You are going to love that panel. Everybody knows I'm a big GRT fan, but another item you're going to love is your PMA450 audio panel. It's a great addition to any panel. Beautiful setup.

194HW Panel Labels

are the labels on the panel silkscreened? It looks really professional, nice layout.
Thanks. I put a lot of thought and used XPanel to design how I wanted it to look. I got to go out and sit with Mike Gleason and pick his brain while he wired and asked me questions. I really like the GRT EFIS.

Labels were put on by SteinAir after they painted the panel, then applied a clearcoat.

Advanced RV-9 IFR Quick Panel

We had another customer pick up his new RV-9 IFR panel today. Just looking at it makes me want an RV-9 :). This Advanced Quick Panel has dual AF-5600T touch screens,
Dynon Autopilot, PS Engineering remote audio panel, AF-Com Radio, ADS-b in-out, dual ADAHRS and a Dynon D6 for backup. The D6 backup EFIS is even wired for GPS data
from our Advanced Control Module. We have been flying the Dynon autopilot integrated into the AF-5600 EFIS for a while now and we are very impressed with the performance.
The indicated airspeed climb and descend modes are awesome- engage the autopilot in a climb on takeoff and it will hold the IAS to your altitude bug. When you set the altitude bug
to a lower altitude all you have to do is increase the airspeed bug or pull some power and it will hold your airspeed until reaching the new altitude. The Autopilot Control Module in the
panel also controls the roll and pitch trim servos giving you two axis auto-trim.

15722252914_4d2772b1ee_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
We had another customer pick up his new RV-9 IFR panel today. Just looking at it makes me want an RV-9 :). This Advanced Panel has dual AF-5600T touch screens,
Dynon Autopilot, PS Engineering remote audio panel, AF-Com Radio, ADS-b in-out, dual ADAHRS and a Dynon D6 for backup. The D6 backup EFIS is even wired for GPS data
from our Advanced Control Module. We have been flying the Dynon autopilot integrated into the AF-5600 EFIS for a while now and we are very impressed with the performance.
The indicated airspeed climb and decent modes are awsome, engage the autopilot in a climb on takeoff and it will hold the IAS to your altitude bug. When you set the altitude bug
to a lower altitude all you have to do is increase the airspeed bug or pull some power and it will hold your airspeed until reaching the new altitude. The Autopilot Control Module in the
panel also controls the roll and pitch trim servos giving you two axis auto-trim.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10
I was just going to ask the question...does AFS support auto trim yet...I guess so. Nice work, Rob and team!

Ta-dah!!

Panel is finished! Maybe a little sparse for some, but for me it's just right, and consistent with the Van's K.I.S.S. philosophy.

Last edited:
VERY nice panel. As you might guess, mine is very similar to yours, in instrumentation, color, and layout. Simplest is best !!! :)

Love that panel!

I love that panel, I might want to exchange the altitude for a turn and slip as it would be beneficial if flying at night which I am training for now so that you could evade clouds and just generally keep level flight happening if a power outage occurs. I just happen to have one also. :):)

Again nice, simple, and sweet!

Thanks guys! You are too kind. Finishing it just inspires me to go to the next step. I just need to add a few finishing touches, like the N-number and the Experimental placard.

Waited a long time to be able to add one to this thread, but finally got my early birthday present today, the GRT Sport SX 8.4". Pretty much plug and play and I had it powered up in 10 minutes.

You can see I have a spot left at the top of the radio stack for a GNS430W or similar should I decide to go that way in the future, although I am leaning to a remote mount NAV unit now. The blank cover panel is my first attempt, not sure I love it, but it's better than an open hole for now.

The D10, EIS 4000 and GTX 327 are all courtesy of VAF sellers. The GTR-200 and GRT are new. Overall, a lot of functionality for the price. UpNorth Aviation cut the panel and did an awesome job.

Can't wait to fly behind it, but it makes it more realistic when I make airplane noises now.

24n1qhu.jpg

Lookey here what happened to my RV9!!!!!

I took this -----

2ufss45.jpg

Which had this ------

2i745lu.jpg

After 180 days, lots of blood, sweat, money and tears ------

n6rn91.jpg

n4dzdc.jpg

3445vsw.jpg

This is what happened !!!!!!

zve9kz.jpg

Now if I can just figure out how to use all of this stuff!!!!!

Yup it really did.

Yup it really did. This was a day/night VFR aeroplane with manual trim. The original wiring was a Van's harness. I not only did the panel but the entire electrical system as well. I now have dual alternators, dual skyviews, and dual adahars. I also installed electric trim, new two axis autopilot, new stick controls and a flap controller. I built all of the avionics harnesses, rewired the entire aeroplane and now have a dual buss system. The engine has full monitoring through the skyview as well. I was figuring the other day that this project took roughly 800 hours, hanger flying included. I also installed several airframe mods as well including the "almost RV14 mod " and a tilting canopy. The only work farmed out was the panel cut by Up North Aviation. That guy saved me countless hours work and allowed me to massage the layout until it was perfect for me. Bill your are the best!!!!!

In retrospect this project took twice as long as I thought, cost twice as much as I estimated, and was twice as hard as I could ever have imagined. A reconfiguration of an already flying airplane is truly a pain in the back and other places. My chiropractor and I are now best friends. Many a time I would have traded back to a Cessna with a nice flat floor.

What I took away from this project was an increased knowledge of my plane, it's structures and it's systems, an intimate knowledge of the avionics and how they all interrelate, new skills in wiring, cabling and sheet metal and above all the usage of the search engine in VAF for ideas and clues when I was stumped or for things not to do. One of my biggest concerns was to eliminate as much noise in the audio system as possible and to keep the smoke inside those expensive boxes. Just like a first flight it took a lot of willpower to flip that master on the first time, but it all worked out just fine to my great relief - and my audio is crystal clear with nary a ripple, ping or pop.

So my advice is this - plan well ahead, do your research thoroughly, my layout, installation and equipment selections are mine and give me the comfort level I wanted, but may not be optimum for you. Once you decide on your plan and equipment don't look back, just get it done. This stuff is changing at such a rapid pace that what you bought yesterday will be outdated tomorrow and just remember to stay focused as someone on this site says "it's just one dang wire after another".

It was all worth it for me. This equipment is just amazing. As I learn how to use it and explore the capabilities I am just blown away. I come from a background of certified aircraft, paper charts, plates, maps, VOR's and ILS's and maybe a handheld GPS or two, so this is cool stuff and the safety factor for me has ratcheted up exponentially. I do still remember that all of the neat toys will not save me if I don't know how to use them or if I get myself in a situation I never should have been in because of poor decision making. With all of these wiz-bang gizmos we must all remember these are still little airplanes and are not in any way all weather birds so lets all be safe out there.

I can imagine. I actually meant it to read like "will it really take me 6 months to do something simlar?" I figured I'd start with the autopilot and see how that turns out...

Enjoy the new toys!

Very nice Ted. Looks like it was worth the work.
Now you just need to fly it down here next week for SNF and I'll by you a beer.
Heck I guess I'll buy you a beer even if you show up without the plane.

Nice

One of the best panels I have seen. Very well thought out. Now, some stick time to figure out how to get it to behave in turbulence....

Just finished my panel! Day VFR with room for possible future upgrades. SteinAir did the wiring harness for the Garmin stuff and I did the rest.

Yup it really did. This was a day/night VFR aeroplane with manual trim. The original wiring was a Van's harness. I not only did the panel but the entire electrical system as well. I now have dual alternators, dual skyviews, and dual adahars. I also installed electric trim, new two axis autopilot, new stick controls and a flap controller. I built all of the avionics harnesses, rewired the entire aeroplane and now have a dual buss system. The engine has full monitoring through the skyview as well. I was figuring the other day that this project took roughly 800 hours, hanger flying included. I also installed several airframe mods as well including the "almost RV14 mod " and a tilting canopy. The only work farmed out was the panel cut by Up North Aviation. That guy saved me countless hours work and allowed me to massage the layout until it was perfect for me. Bill your are the best!!!!!

In retrospect this project took twice as long as I thought, cost twice as much as I estimated, and was twice as hard as I could ever have imagined. A reconfiguration of an already flying airplane is truly a pain in the back and other places. My chiropractor and I are now best friends. Many a time I would have traded back to a Cessna with a nice flat floor.

What I took away from this project was an increased knowledge of my plane, it's structures and it's systems, an intimate knowledge of the avionics and how they all interrelate, new skills in wiring, cabling and sheet metal and above all the usage of the search engine in VAF for ideas and clues when I was stumped or for things not to do. One of my biggest concerns was to eliminate as much noise in the audio system as possible and to keep the smoke inside those expensive boxes. Just like a first flight it took a lot of willpower to flip that master on the first time, but it all worked out just fine to my great relief - and my audio is crystal clear with nary a ripple, ping or pop.

So my advice is this - plan well ahead, do your research thoroughly, my layout, installation and equipment selections are mine and give me the comfort level I wanted, but may not be optimum for you. Once you decide on your plan and equipment don't look back, just get it done. This stuff is changing at such a rapid pace that what you bought yesterday will be outdated tomorrow and just remember to stay focused as someone on this site says "it's just one dang wire after another".

It was all worth it for me. This equipment is just amazing. As I learn how to use it and explore the capabilities I am just blown away. I come from a background of certified aircraft, paper charts, plates, maps, VOR's and ILS's and maybe a handheld GPS or two, so this is cool stuff and the safety factor for me has ratcheted up exponentially. I do still remember that all of the neat toys will not save me if I don't know how to use them or if I get myself in a situation I never should have been in because of poor decision making. With all of these wiz-bang gizmos we must all remember these are still little airplanes and are not in any way all weather birds so lets all be safe out there.

Just wondering - did you look at going with the Vertical Power electronic CB's instead of the old school ones ?

Dual Dynon, Dual PMAG, GTN-650, ADSB, so far!

redir

I purchased a flying RV-9A about three years ago with Dual Dynon screens and I have been steadily upgrading since then. I have just installed dual PMAG's with the EI Commander to keep track of them. My original Van's Tach or sender has quit. I am reserving that hole for a round hole audio panel from PS Engineering in the future. I have also just added a CO panel mount detector from Guardian Avionics. I would also like to add a second radio using the new Dynon radio in the future. So far I have been able to retrofit things into the existing panel that the former owner installed. I also have a flap position box that drives the flaps to 10-20-30 degrees. I really like how that works. He also installed a pushbutton starting, that is out of the view of this picture on the left. I have the remote Dynon transponder, as well as the ADSB receiver. I am set up for IFR with the Garmin 650.

Last edited:
Just finished my panel! Day VFR with room for possible future upgrades. SteinAir did the wiring harness for the Garmin stuff and I did the rest.

Nice! With all the work you did up front with the cutouts for the radio stack, etc., upgrading should be a cinch.

Labour of Love

After several tweaks, a repaint and label replacement and late incorportion of the Dynon AP panel, it's finished.

TSO'd backup instruments should enable IFR certification when CASA determine their new policy for experimental aircraft.

4t3plt.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG

34oqbe8.jpg
[/IMG]

Just a hint of what's to come

I couldn't resist sharing this. Just a hint of what's to come for my panel. :) Inspired by Ed Kranz's RV-10 switch backlighting, and other ideas I've had all along. Had Stein cut my panel, and worked with Jarod to design the panel blanks. Combine with some electroluminescent light sheeting I got online, add some blue transparent vinyl to color the light, and engraved placards from Aircraft Engravers. The phone camera doesn't do it justice. And the backlight is much more subdued.

ENfIZaMBt431bP58clRXj9mBEkyvi5-cTngRq24C3KVMzu--J2HtKxby5DysJ_sn49UAI5In7leBTTMjgGoTvq6lGQXhS8npLDPgZ5y4rUQJm42t0s0lnscAKh0I3xEVn1vS3oznAa2eiwXyGXZD6HpL5S1PkFNUoatFlmzFbnqdEB9vTX2ojcubxX6AnqUWS0Ir2MfYOFWZ6UnlvEe4Fz4u1v-vjAvsm0OVsVleC1xRFEeVH4FtgzToBmZpmmJCbt-Jvo1TwUa8RU_u0xolvr77Jcu11NVDjkYjf7Z1OEKIfNQ697QlCZnqUe8f-8X9OE_OEcM-FGfkkCyB8s8O02Zj1JCE51kTyjkUSsaYCual52m8uAv6GWorniOTvNVgtAcu8Lv4AA_sklQetE70bGqfOWARAXKHGf7aYVvyzj5WgtfBduQ6sdjgONLu13vmGra905h5tWHK4Y6tu0-GScdff829WBA6EPdTUKLq5wXY04R56J3TrUWfoj46EUtdIv9J24ks11cAra9fDs7B_vBqNGspSZxUst2KQNpDt0GVEoThAFJy54DvvRM761vSxrOmCBpVsNpb6e8zLU9mSqCLIb8qKsE=w274-h483-no

4s3WlT11i5H98lXCvZZunUfDbEPLV33fGWqKeHObPhAqjvdil91HH-s_hvt9Q-fDNUVqEEawDa9KqN1E7oI9dAC08U1shjAg0xzRg63yzx-smdNDYA30porxjneC-UF_xWPkxjkaWDDq07-K6z-_2t8tlxiwEPc0rQ_q_ObmIz0Zw9OZRPSl8iR0BzrAczvxSqsz0zWUFobAV1Dr0_rXNM8-hipCrGdK2QwOfQW5JVDGLVvDBFZSEDS9SOxVV_ziyjK_4YOvAYaU9okqAVouUnpqObJyR_4-sm9cQN4DF2blgT32X8a5eYxi0d5XqDmw_bL2qm5uN-OUwYfj7RARlvsUQzfPt2BjlkHjmy3YChh24G_pdFgfs-U7_bbmB_dZlrDfnfHmbn2Q8doVSQqjxUuLfwjOysUhaDR0a9_u8xmBWLGYxtIiE9huGcVT-Opd_jvClTBRjooLCKq3EIFb0ZNyLk8s1BdTyqjKQ139e0rWiJMYXOb-ec7U0KMqyvg6vTaUMNSSeP9HN7APvf6hRrGGdTVPn9Y7xCRkhVKn8J-pTslp5XHlQvx3_KwuSY_49Qoa8O7t-N66Lexd8m8EmeIMzOif8LE=w274-h483-no

In its place in the panel. Have to drill the top two mounting screw holes through the lighting sheeting still. Side note for the curious, the panel is done in 3 coats of Rustoleum Textured Black spray, from Home Aviation Depot.

3el07idyAVGihdGH6p98vp2kiOmb_tg47ixtNL6E232gmLTiGoK4XxUfnUTNENloi5WtAOecHGRTincsp7Vx8eI_TAkO-kRx-r505cdRy4WdwJvnVcQNWAPfb69e7UKmJfyN_hDPzgv34gzJ78tElyP2n4luBINg-fn0LuAuUSV6pzqByaEg-lIqY10-Im6vqCaqebOq6himmlby5-3xIOIUq_P9vHvU29VcbEQ6LHaHJPIj7oqx--rtcXKshoplbvGXT4Xj9xHTmDKv7InFqnt3hWFnkyAlsa-nvwhhgIE2rC8ubdW1lb4FvSWDyuqVSQbtiDiDjaAN0ZSN9D-WOoR27-45ZzEW3nlU1SjMuxBey98lSAmJs0PgZOToE1MpXo_gCTwbHyEqXUM44PUZjhnWSCU9k7MZa6yDKVkC-jNakMj5f2t1CcE4CBapYH8HW0rSq09-rWI_nnvNhUYtTDK36BDqy4mIV6rbFJhoZMOx8LHwarsTKcBD4D9DGrx7WBXZ0tsC-sJl0J2cE_25tRYDuZZ_bGUSvE75WybZ4TuPYfNw3J-t2BWQ-j1yCh_Cvm4ApHfdubqGNxa5IuYEzKwvnk2cE38=w274-h483-no

w2DenEGd8BZo_OWs_-R6KOV2no_S1jph3tUzEHuMIu61B1vfdPvmFdsoQuixuc7OMfx_1gzOPN86U0PHmlsu7Y3ZrJn1Ef4lWtFE8cs1QHkKV_ZYab9fIR6x9xSAYxd9qww1_RWr2LaZVR_K4e4xL7EDXiE_s34QC4pfeVZMtmkliuaL5TD3253f7Xoiz7uYmyaFqrh3YXWFXWTYv560BTpKF1wQMpwNxBhMp-wRhm6Q8dvbB5LfoqeqvRNo1QYqip_uoGC_a7uED1_BSFmj0J2m53HdiwmmGu53fDauQ5zHYLr3WLdhiixqbWeG3OQqiijyA9n_yMazxtd3JrvMyxjKHQKoViDgCKGwVt9guMheb_shisrEy-G6UeYIDwaMg9dn4oNUrm6E0sLd6RO2kBGdwgzXwYG5HfH6bjedsZldZm9751fnUI_2D1jRBk6KrPNXBpgpV-rwdmRhhXENSWUzIoZaXk7eXOiAhy_mZ2PxV1q0dp6u9cTvMszvIEwujcq3yrqa07uFcEz_z4onE8zFmJHLbXo0Wqf_R-a-eXO6RYEtnn2rovPoAlLS_wapdnMkg1_3PIKACMhkuQnMlLATfWCouqc=w274-h483-no

Last night, combining everything together: On top of the aluminum mount panel would first go a whole EL lighting sheet. Blue vinyl goes on next on top of the lighting sheet. Finally, the placard. I'd then trim up the edges, and cut out the circuit breaker mounting holes, with a utility knife.

TYRXwhw95hvvzjDxK-SqMdgbLZwDiE34MKJqDt3FyHuKHw_pOmdtv55qhageDwfQs5-12BdDUhMBhZn5Xyhg5DIg9r2ITkXf4v-UVpwBBrgjI9sVFTlS46-cku2Ut9zEvknbcanmNSE4ue8iagJrtn3UkOjt1eJswSAJjmCKf4I50PrP_7JwMmiIGSBNO4I8nr1HYxv80mKLLlckkCQr_E7GhywKdxooyi-vV3d7ov-bnhJxjoZsV5CPWoC1qHf-iHHyKfeYmO6DZf6c4krtYTUHhEUDEI1Lbkl1PPmyHAS1ITMbqsHDEx8sGhj4blK5VEAmQWSoJf-7qPvbqY2jFAcrK_iFRoAGggDKF-0Fcwpv3A0_UjtV_fg5xRb498dHn1s8HwFE_BZovmTHNgEjJ3PxgiEsmKmNHTqma74MvC0h6Oje1rVml0-V5ZZJNCyAcTO3mxjvLBeIv9ItRBGFjoe5sfUIgGMor_XKEl7DyFV9BgcnYd_N6AjzHv--3iFnz46lQIg6Hm9skLveC7yHRf3poeNgC93yhGtxv5X5BWG0TKj1w2S2Q_nmgWSyZqEocaxsT73z1abKxk1pWe-I9HzMEsNhARk=w274-h483-no

Just waiting on another shipment of lighting panels now, to go along with all the other placards. :D

Like I said, just a taste of what's to come. :eek:

Last edited:
It's alive!

Just in time for Oshkosh, the panel comes alive. Still have to finish the power wires for the ignition system indicators and label backlighting. But everything else came right up. Only have to debug why the VPX doesn't want to communicate with the MFD properly.

Last night, before configuring...

MNp8O59QQANPemeOmLUCJEek9F85Fafu_8HHkRAKndSP2vn0Eec0IfG5yMxysYx_jP04e1r2H44f_CdQK7ebxPkJ9ISlcw3OeME6Gtfv958YZuoC6LRbG-RCdH1fDEIy43XlICAUlmiUmYpL7OAt1npy2W5SYPbVwjsy1vYGXM3AXAs1IadfGD14IW1VqY_C4lWPkzFt3FDzRSg9sso5OECvwXjMU0bJigscSc87D4RtZ1geQCdGn1yR-xkVq6tSrHTxFFMUFr8nBvAmaEusOUnlOG2f5ICMUGaRA3Wv5Nbn05oGNQE5127KvRBHMR2VqsOOuQ8Dv7DFocemAOj_wUbG9FIEdnOUq1APHLnAFFhSAZvV0Z8dW8VB4MRREsNohV3QHk0t7Iy_KWBQ6eZLluGjL05VdwXb3MqAALsuRBlJKJqtmMupDaIovEu7unSFRk0ylF_lmQTLYGd8_tNatOodDEzM5eo8Smt2SNTlQfQZaT_QKE_ZCaFVAbnahm23T79Nk7eLfxktrI1FqkBmcUpSLSJ19o7UbKPCy9mQjlNHhdhODItaFWaylP3RNpDlvzKBDWgT26Dpbu_CxQuCsVhqHu0S_90=w855-h483-no

laqBzFmDAefHfEb3IzRaCSxLz5FzewCgeHhHNYjsapiOcYjJlaZETay9Nl8Z6E3CrSDBS7FFhzYj4GzbxNbdKUlpFOI0pYtyj6m0NYURdoFvLe5T6z2NkeaFH3Pf2kc1_CAkJ4UDNEVTJ0_cuz4z5jQSyDSnh_Azlg7LyoUxX2JtzQn7gXwXlCs2kHqc7pitX4e2dTom2uO-ZLDHJFEG2iwqWKhOK-L9J-iSv1hAfqBPAG3Wlihd2Wqpd49TQZRoUfyScIfbsbKmN8j5lSeAXM1-q0qode-GwHWaxOVR742aWAfXDEPxzYPZi0FHqqfFFN2SuXe3H7oLsNSTyddPdG8Vw71lX9ZJ8mzeFXSHU3FHzfiAEuztC9zTGEeOjzqCVXy1y6GHCkslbYWdprHwpKLtkk7gFM13pYsepL_k7jRuNqtyyztoDo0jdlL1pCRK8pqqEkzUeIjOo08Ps8N2i1WkWWhlBSQsX3Yh2oOtISznxTYCs9uKqpJIoANXxOdaK7cw7IezYXmUy1Zor0lIbBgwpNgQ7zcpSSNEhWqTKVJyIpRlzKi9MDzAEpR81256CtQZwaAta8ghQHpf_SfFpQy6jF7E9oU=w855-h483-no

7cKTv1RarnCYMQzZiYzCj2a86p1PEJWSMBSseG91OCgtNuXJVbWu1Hsp_yCQFJCVaIy2mK1OljBre8EMOklFC3p6bGTalPCB89pLn6v4bBEY76-iW-uGbpC37IfZXbv4zzGfqZGIj5xpGTw_m-8ZUSppNz_Xez5HoQyzsYNzACOywl4IERF4giTHe5C-cvmvWGKtaU-Sf5Fb0sBCStp1RDBfPzUTfGyfW1G7VuDUvVqjR1P5W2dl-XTgoy5JfolwQeCqNbFqNENYP6VvTxq9ksRSipSIbiHb0M4k4hmmnx5fLadUnk6aKg6fT7PUsM-_easxCqX9ffAhep90S-SOxqMtQx44VqV1pv49v1cuZWH0NSMO8NqOgkcaMNsAHMCTQItCyXfcfQls7nyzgz9TRlufj3Ylaa1i7dm5ZKQxyM51VrsFIpiwxeB1H3OePR7p0c7oZK1wM7KPTlRUSffYplfs3ziPjx4fO3SIargKjU7RGfSwW0FqThFM6Iz8ERUY8zU3nBal4cvh3WeBPox25LCMGzxupjoNiIC_YAuttExU8ljh344_XBylkuSI3tQUg_DMoInqPHHDWDkmS-OzerNVA8FISJk=w855-h483-no

Tonight, once I wrangled all the RS-232 port settings...

KyJUh9CRUgb8txosr8qCKVWLb-XiRUSZZdJ6grolaVhFm4ZcPty4NtEmYLzPvUiZvJGDUNKZ0y-JNSZQphbPyyyosX8cjb3-XdlmwMlG60BsYjRfLmjlCJo23m0DCRNvdZv66KlNbmGqwIlcXjengk8-pT0he4Ok0jgoI9SeiKhpj_tjojTSL5wlZ1xzoXRxOKVS7QsyhExv2mRoAyyp9GbgqdSTC0uK5apcd_8ghpT9Gw2BtezlBKG-jue-bNQkl9fEbfmwjKQw6E4lejCvZixNkfd_GoiG3pnzW7yGvg6npSm7z8VpP9zKAjA9ErUH3d9ERiVPpJo_Ae3hwsy0bQBWcxJqEMJKp6fNdzfoqGAMHo2vdhbQOvBmPwUvu_kedUy_wOBUCyw7rQfXjU1t1fuSsnyC2WDfgNY58km3XkuxRU5kLcjMdRtLl1Fa1DhJF4ekLxf-5gH03gglg0s1ps40S0hqsrcdTmsz2JOxmVUzQTGs5YmetRjg3Yug_5H4vPdxOrrxw6gaFFEPy7bt814UqsZYUhowy6hmtq8iwdSRA8wX8tGLnI_HYrHCCoJUsyPwCb4JuWBJNDbTCA2TjB8Eh_RH7pw=w855-h483-no

Bench power supply reads just under 7 amps' draw with everything enabled - PFD, MFD, A/P Head, servos, transponder, ADSB, GTN, GTR 200, audio panel, you name it...

7aFC64r0iFYxQa2iM66lKFzBTGktS5HGLhwV-49YSeD9dhSIPQoIRyl0iykm7Si-cQ3iktPmWERxOzPoR2gOWVvCo3d1WquBOAcIQPBEgWQhlP-vDtB8oK77OL7T5tz_G5ORwQZa1Fo33gfcXf_ovif1AbRnPPLSMCwjiOQkWxJM6ZTkPqhgdw29JdbxpP_vMCtzvTeUHWvY6vUjJ7WGwRGLgs0EKvsMKzr5glscktStfBgIK34DG2d6P0AQutvpgxUiyc8QHNbomlYPFXhcvmYGI3yDpmBVU8viOlCFU-cLNO21XrcD3-VPuAaZjrIqHjzaFEO7PhQXSZrf7CRw6tcuG3ejXuN-q7x15Rp6mvLQo3dz3SfGccuJvNw0_Jn4VEZjF42MK4mj3ciqzMukskEPAmaKf1GVZB6rze1CO9tqLtawAMjLZpTDLfYcEAOLjH_begCUgUvRgEFnpUqy2kicTv0Y4navgZf08sXuCkgu8F5c7YV_jF3A3Tgj3hhhSSFiU-bw3EgvcoTHIgk2FQlLw_YJvsBFy85m0-pW9Q0vUv5LMZQYU2IKuKeugQlQRYpEcM-G9WSYnwXgGYjq5WXtgTkg2Vg=w855-h483-no

Last edited:
Scott - I'm not seeing your pictures from either of the two recent posts (others are fine). Are the links broken?

Anybody else having problems or is it me?

Scott's Panel

Really nice job Scott!

btw....I got a GoPro Hero 4 Black for Christmas last year with a prop filter. I've just been using it here and there to document my build. If you want to hook it up for your first flight, let me know.

Scott,

Your panel is looking beyond slick. Visibility should be excellent both day and night.

I hope all the interfaces come together quickly, with everything talking to everything else.

This panel probably has your avionics supplier in a new Porsche as well! It's a Win-Win!

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Solely because the N-number placard is backlit in the same manner as the other placards. See my previous post, dated 12/20/15. It's an aluminum backing panel, then the EL light panel plastic (which has a pigtail power wire also), then the engraved placard label panel. That'd look horrid if it wasn't screwed in behind. And it's just easier to unscrew placards, rip off and replace the light panel, etc if needed.

Just in time for Oshkosh, the panel comes alive. Still have to finish the power wires for the ignition system indicators and label backlighting. But everything else came right up. Only have to debug why the VPX doesn't want to communicate with the MFD properly.

Last night, before configuring...

MNp8O59QQANPemeOmLUCJEek9F85Fafu_8HHkRAKndSP2vn0Eec0IfG5yMxysYx_jP04e1r2H44f_CdQK7ebxPkJ9ISlcw3OeME6Gtfv958YZuoC6LRbG-RCdH1fDEIy43XlICAUlmiUmYpL7OAt1npy2W5SYPbVwjsy1vYGXM3AXAs1IadfGD14IW1VqY_C4lWPkzFt3FDzRSg9sso5OECvwXjMU0bJigscSc87D4RtZ1geQCdGn1yR-xkVq6tSrHTxFFMUFr8nBvAmaEusOUnlOG2f5ICMUGaRA3Wv5Nbn05oGNQE5127KvRBHMR2VqsOOuQ8Dv7DFocemAOj_wUbG9FIEdnOUq1APHLnAFFhSAZvV0Z8dW8VB4MRREsNohV3QHk0t7Iy_KWBQ6eZLluGjL05VdwXb3MqAALsuRBlJKJqtmMupDaIovEu7unSFRk0ylF_lmQTLYGd8_tNatOodDEzM5eo8Smt2SNTlQfQZaT_QKE_ZCaFVAbnahm23T79Nk7eLfxktrI1FqkBmcUpSLSJ19o7UbKPCy9mQjlNHhdhODItaFWaylP3RNpDlvzKBDWgT26Dpbu_CxQuCsVhqHu0S_90=w855-h483-no

laqBzFmDAefHfEb3IzRaCSxLz5FzewCgeHhHNYjsapiOcYjJlaZETay9Nl8Z6E3CrSDBS7FFhzYj4GzbxNbdKUlpFOI0pYtyj6m0NYURdoFvLe5T6z2NkeaFH3Pf2kc1_CAkJ4UDNEVTJ0_cuz4z5jQSyDSnh_Azlg7LyoUxX2JtzQn7gXwXlCs2kHqc7pitX4e2dTom2uO-ZLDHJFEG2iwqWKhOK-L9J-iSv1hAfqBPAG3Wlihd2Wqpd49TQZRoUfyScIfbsbKmN8j5lSeAXM1-q0qode-GwHWaxOVR742aWAfXDEPxzYPZi0FHqqfFFN2SuXe3H7oLsNSTyddPdG8Vw71lX9ZJ8mzeFXSHU3FHzfiAEuztC9zTGEeOjzqCVXy1y6GHCkslbYWdprHwpKLtkk7gFM13pYsepL_k7jRuNqtyyztoDo0jdlL1pCRK8pqqEkzUeIjOo08Ps8N2i1WkWWhlBSQsX3Yh2oOtISznxTYCs9uKqpJIoANXxOdaK7cw7IezYXmUy1Zor0lIbBgwpNgQ7zcpSSNEhWqTKVJyIpRlzKi9MDzAEpR81256CtQZwaAta8ghQHpf_SfFpQy6jF7E9oU=w855-h483-no

7cKTv1RarnCYMQzZiYzCj2a86p1PEJWSMBSseG91OCgtNuXJVbWu1Hsp_yCQFJCVaIy2mK1OljBre8EMOklFC3p6bGTalPCB89pLn6v4bBEY76-iW-uGbpC37IfZXbv4zzGfqZGIj5xpGTw_m-8ZUSppNz_Xez5HoQyzsYNzACOywl4IERF4giTHe5C-cvmvWGKtaU-Sf5Fb0sBCStp1RDBfPzUTfGyfW1G7VuDUvVqjR1P5W2dl-XTgoy5JfolwQeCqNbFqNENYP6VvTxq9ksRSipSIbiHb0M4k4hmmnx5fLadUnk6aKg6fT7PUsM-_easxCqX9ffAhep90S-SOxqMtQx44VqV1pv49v1cuZWH0NSMO8NqOgkcaMNsAHMCTQItCyXfcfQls7nyzgz9TRlufj3Ylaa1i7dm5ZKQxyM51VrsFIpiwxeB1H3OePR7p0c7oZK1wM7KPTlRUSffYplfs3ziPjx4fO3SIargKjU7RGfSwW0FqThFM6Iz8ERUY8zU3nBal4cvh3WeBPox25LCMGzxupjoNiIC_YAuttExU8ljh344_XBylkuSI3tQUg_DMoInqPHHDWDkmS-OzerNVA8FISJk=w855-h483-no

Tonight, once I wrangled all the RS-232 port settings...

KyJUh9CRUgb8txosr8qCKVWLb-XiRUSZZdJ6grolaVhFm4ZcPty4NtEmYLzPvUiZvJGDUNKZ0y-JNSZQphbPyyyosX8cjb3-XdlmwMlG60BsYjRfLmjlCJo23m0DCRNvdZv66KlNbmGqwIlcXjengk8-pT0he4Ok0jgoI9SeiKhpj_tjojTSL5wlZ1xzoXRxOKVS7QsyhExv2mRoAyyp9GbgqdSTC0uK5apcd_8ghpT9Gw2BtezlBKG-jue-bNQkl9fEbfmwjKQw6E4lejCvZixNkfd_GoiG3pnzW7yGvg6npSm7z8VpP9zKAjA9ErUH3d9ERiVPpJo_Ae3hwsy0bQBWcxJqEMJKp6fNdzfoqGAMHo2vdhbQOvBmPwUvu_kedUy_wOBUCyw7rQfXjU1t1fuSsnyC2WDfgNY58km3XkuxRU5kLcjMdRtLl1Fa1DhJF4ekLxf-5gH03gglg0s1ps40S0hqsrcdTmsz2JOxmVUzQTGs5YmetRjg3Yug_5H4vPdxOrrxw6gaFFEPy7bt814UqsZYUhowy6hmtq8iwdSRA8wX8tGLnI_HYrHCCoJUsyPwCb4JuWBJNDbTCA2TjB8Eh_RH7pw=w855-h483-no

Bench power supply reads just under 7 amps' draw with everything enabled - PFD, MFD, A/P Head, servos, transponder, ADSB, GTN, GTR 200, audio panel, you name it...

7aFC64r0iFYxQa2iM66lKFzBTGktS5HGLhwV-49YSeD9dhSIPQoIRyl0iykm7Si-cQ3iktPmWERxOzPoR2gOWVvCo3d1WquBOAcIQPBEgWQhlP-vDtB8oK77OL7T5tz_G5ORwQZa1Fo33gfcXf_ovif1AbRnPPLSMCwjiOQkWxJM6ZTkPqhgdw29JdbxpP_vMCtzvTeUHWvY6vUjJ7WGwRGLgs0EKvsMKzr5glscktStfBgIK34DG2d6P0AQutvpgxUiyc8QHNbomlYPFXhcvmYGI3yDpmBVU8viOlCFU-cLNO21XrcD3-VPuAaZjrIqHjzaFEO7PhQXSZrf7CRw6tcuG3ejXuN-q7x15Rp6mvLQo3dz3SfGccuJvNw0_Jn4VEZjF42MK4mj3ciqzMukskEPAmaKf1GVZB6rze1CO9tqLtawAMjLZpTDLfYcEAOLjH_begCUgUvRgEFnpUqy2kicTv0Y4navgZf08sXuCkgu8F5c7YV_jF3A3Tgj3hhhSSFiU-bw3EgvcoTHIgk2FQlLw_YJvsBFy85m0-pW9Q0vUv5LMZQYU2IKuKeugQlQRYpEcM-G9WSYnwXgGYjq5WXtgTkg2Vg=w855-h483-no

Wow! that's nice.

This looks really nice, but...

...shouldn't it be posted where it belongs? In the RV-10 "show us your panel" sticky. Other 10 builders, like myself, might not see it in the 9/9A forum..

Why Mike? All the other model-specific forums have their own panel, in-progress, completed, etc. pics threads. Maybe bigger question is whether to establish panel pics threads or such in the general forum, outside the model-specific forums. *shrug*

So you've left me wanting more information on the EL sheet. In this case the search function isn't my friend because its pulling everything from "panEL" to "gravEL". I'm not creative enough to get the right search criteria for this one.

First - where online did you source it? Cost?

Second - It appears in your text you've not only trimmed the sheet to fit the aluminum plate, but also cut holes for the switches and CB's. What limitations are there on the cuts?

Third - Any wiring issues to consider? Plugs interfering with boxes, or other structure in the confined panel space?

I'm probably way behind everyone else on this technology, just never had to use before. Is there a how-to?

Circling back around here during a break from Oshkosh packing.

Tim
--
EL = Electroluminescent lighting. The same backlighting technology in your watches, among other places you'd never think. I tried a few different types from various vendors, eBay, etc. Ended up working with Ellumiglow.com, with a couple of their parallel panels. These panels are the ones that work best for cutting to size and cutting out holes in. Obviously it ain't cheap. :) I used probably 7 or so medium and small sized panels.

You also have to watch, to a degree, the interference from whatever EL power inverter you use - same basic idea as with LED nav/strobe/landing lights. Again, Ellumiglow led the pack here, IMO.

Otherwise, the panels themselves are about as thick as a laminated piece of paper, so they're still somewhat flexible. Ellumiglow's are white, so I layered on a static-stick piece of light blue transparent vinyl sheeting off of eBay. The placards were done by AircraftEngravers.net.

I thank / blame Ed Kranz's RV-10 panel lighting for the inspiration. I wanted to duplicate his lighting, but improve on his quip that only the label words are backlit, due to using discrete LEDs in his design.

Bill
--
Thanks! Already got a Garmin Elite with prop filter a few years back. It's charging now for the trip. I've got some test video from my cousin and me doing practice approaches around Cincy in his 182 a year or so back. Needless to say, I'm holding onto it as blackmail material. Neither of us were on our game that day. ;)

Recent upgrade installed by Jesse Saint, designed by Jesse and myself. A simple design that took a lot of back and forth to get just right

Twin Dynon Touch
Garmin G5 on the left
Top center are the Knob, Autopilot, Comm controllers. Then Garmin 625, Garmin SL40, Garmin 240 audio panel.

o6g2vq.jpg

N1119A Panel

TnTgX9T.jpg

Panel is in airplane - month 13 of slow build 9A.

All Garmin, full IFR panel with permanent IPAD dock in front of co-pilot.

Wings complete.
Empenage complete.
Fuselage complete.
Gear/fairings/wheel pants complete

I was holding off the front top deck to enable the avionics installation. Now that the avionics are in, and everything is working, I am going to put the front deck on, finish the windscreen and canopy, and then on to the engine.

This thing is starting to get very exciting!

Based on current progress, I plan to have the 9A out of the garage, at the hangar for final assembly in the fall. I am in the DC Metro Area. Hangars are expensive and hard to get. I have been on waiting lists for 3 years. The hanger is 40 minutes away, so I am kind of dreading the time when the project leaves the nest.

Steve Gross
First Time Builder
New Flyer

Great job David! Looks really nice. I look forward to hearing about those cross country trips you've been planning with you dad.

Garmin Panel on N7KR (RV9A)

Hey All-

I just got this panel installed by the folks at Sarasota Avionics. It's amazing!

In addition to what you see, I also specifically designed the layout so that in the future I could add a second G3x screen on the right side and out the Garmin D5 on the left above the ignition keys.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cf...wy73a7aQh_1FgA

Last edited:
Happy RV9 owner leaves with this new panel :D

Garmin G3X with GTN750

IMG_7842rev11200.jpg

Last edited:
Back