What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A engine swap.

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am looking into swapping out the O-320 H2AD on the RV-6A at some point with something with a little more spank to it as the 6 feels totally gutless compared to my RV-8 O-360. I am curious what the experience is with something like putting on O-360 onto a pre-existing O-320 setup. What (other than the obvious) is entailed? What would have to change? Any particular variants that would work better than others?

Thanks for the input folks!

Charles

Last edited:
When I ordered my engine mount a few weeks back, they told me that the 320 mount was built 2 inches longer for weight and balance. Would that put you nose heavy?

Last edited:
Im confused. I am building a 6. I ordered my mount in June. Thats just what they told me.

In that case they didn't fully understand that you're building a six...the six was designed for the O-320, and only had one mount. The seven was designed with the O-360 in mind because so many builders were putting 360's in their sixes. Putting a 360 in the six moves the CG forward (not necessarily a bad thing)...putting a 320 on a seven (without using the longer mount) moves the CG back (not necessarily a good thing).

as far as I know, depending on your serial, you might have, or not, a -7 engine mount (check for reinforcing gussets)... mine has (as well as pre-punched wing skins and -8 tail).
One thing to consider is, depending of which you have right now, having to replace the engine mount... and the matched landing legs (changed from conical to dynafocal on my -4 and had to replace the lot)...
Gotta say, the 180 ponies on a “light” airframe is a nice combination :)

In that case they didn't fully understand that you're building a six...the six was designed for the O-320, and only had one mount. The seven was designed with the O-360 in mind because so many builders were putting 360's in their sixes. Putting a 360 in the six moves the CG forward (not necessarily a bad thing)...putting a 320 on a seven (without using the longer mount) moves the CG back (not necessarily a good thing).

Moose is correct!

Ok, good to know. I was hoping for the option to possibly upgrade to a 360 some day. Based on what they told me I had figured i would just have to get a new mount and re-do pretty much everything firewall forward including the cowl if that day ever comes.
They ask for the serial number and mine dates to 1991. Something i can quit worrying about now:cool:

Last edited:
Back