What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FM-150 install to IO-360 help

ksdflying

Well Known Member
Friend
Can anyone provide help to PROPERLY install or have experience installing an Airflow Performance FM-150 Fuel Control fuel injection body onto a Lycoming IO-360-M1B engine?
I simply can not find any instructions, drawing, photos or anyone that has done this.
Am I the only one who selected this option when ordering from Vans?

I am very close to just taking this FM-150 fuel injection body off the engine, sending it back to Airflow performance or just selling it, starting over and just buy the AvStar fuel injection body. It seems that is what all the RV-8 people are putting on there IO-360 engines.

Can anyone help. My pains and struggle and exhausted frustration is about the "how" and "where" to mount the throttle and mixture control cable brackets. Got the wrong parts from Vans, that is fixed now as I had to go to Airflow Performance and buy their control bracket kit. But there is no instruction or photos for help.

Any tribal wisdom out there please?
Dan

Last edited:
no wisdom

but I do have a suggestion - call Don at Airflow Performance. He's always willing to help and the installation manual they provide is very thorough.

Okay, I will try to give him a call again. I am desperate for some photos, I disagree on the instructions. But I will try him again. I am really hoping someone else who's done this set up can share some growing pains wisdom. If this injection is really this rare on RV-8 planes with the basic io-360 and the majority are AvStar...well I am very close to switching over. I need help. Bad. Probably mentally too after all this. ha!

I don't know if your 360 fuel servo mounts the same as on the 390 but there are several threads here under the Rv14 that talk about mounting and cable attachments with pics.

Ok. I appreciate that. I will look up some RV-14 threads and sites and see what I can find. Really the issue is the RV-8 has hole penetrations on the left side of the firewall. Not the middle like the RV-7 and RV-14. But like the RV-7 stuff I have been researching I will look up RV-14 also. Thanks. I am needing a little more specific type details to make this install work on this rv-8. RV7 and 14 stuff still leaves too much for imagination.

You will have to do some significant cowl modifications to use the FM-150 on a horizontal engine with the standard Van’s snorkel cowl.

I gave up - and went with the stock injection system from Lycoming. I would have preferred the AirFlow system.

Carl

I have it on my XIO370 and it was not much of a problem. The snorkle will have to be modified. The 150 was mounted so the levers are on the bottom and that required a small blister on the cowl. You will also need the spacer AFS has that goes between the 150 and the sump. Vans stock cables are too short. Call Don at AFS, he can make it an easy job. The 150 performs very well. Hot restarts have been easy but I also have SDS ignition on the right side. I’ll try to attach some pictures in next post.

Last edited:
FM 150 on Titan 370 engine. The nuts on the attachment studs were later changed to drilled nuts and safety wired and the bolts holding the adapter plate to the bottom of the sump were also safety wired.

Attachments

• 05F2D3EB-3DD8-420D-96FB-4599F79B7655.jpeg
    05F2D3EB-3DD8-420D-96FB-4599F79B7655.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
The 360 I believe uses the bottom adapter kit like the 390 and as mentioned both arms need to be oriented on the bottom and the pushrods and linkages as in this pic.

Attachments

• brackets proper (Large).jpg
    brackets proper (Large).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 394
Thank you Carl, I am looking into this. I've purchased the same james cowl which is longer and a different profile. Research prior found I won't have to do this....the verdict is still out. I'll report back on if I have to. Thank you

wilddog and Chris, I greatly appreciate the photos. Very helpful!. I am gathering I need to in fact rotate that gold anodized plate from AP. That just seemed un natural when I got the bracket kit parts from them. But with this info I will proceed. Very VERY helpful you two gents. Thank you to you both too. See what I can get done in next several days.

Back