What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 on taildragger

Eztroller

Well Known Member
Im not too interested in how fast I get there, more interested in the overall cost. Anyone have a taildragger with an IO360 and what do you think? Im not sure I could even tell the difference between the 390 and now 390exp. I will probably fly in the 6000-9000’ level, three-four hour legs, safe long runways, and really no care of when I get there. 360 gonna fit the bill?

Thx

That is what is on the factory tail dragger. I don’t believe there is a significant difference in speed. However, I believe it requires a specific 360 with a forward prop governor and there are not that many around. The biggest problem will be finding one.

Another thing to think about (if you're interested) is the resale value. I think you might miss out on a lot of potential buyer if and when the time comes to sell it. .

Why not use a 320 for better costs....

There is a pretty large weight delta between the parallel valve and the angle valve engines.

There would be a rather serious C.G. issue to deal with if a parallel valve engine was used (particularly the O-320 since it is the lightest), because the RV-14 was specifically designed around the weight of the angle valve IO-360 and 390.

The factory demonstrator RV-14 does have an angle valve IO-360 and it is a good engine choice, but as already mentioned, you have to use a variant that has a front mounted prop governor unless you chose to go with a fixed pitch prop (which in itself could cause a less than desirable C.G.

Last edited:
Back